• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze-Age Spideys
12 12

1,660 posts in this topic

I posted this in the wrong thread so to cover my bases and bump this to page one:

I'm thinking of reacquiring a copy of ASM 238.  My original copy came from the newsstand.  Are the tattoos important?  Should I only be looking at 9.8's or will 9.6's or 9.4's be saleable later on?

Edited by piper

3 minutes ago, piper said:

I posted this in the wrong thread so to cover my bases and bump this to page one:

I'm thinking of reacquiring a copy of ASM 238.  My original copy came from the newsstand.  Are the tattoos important?  Should I only be looking at 9.8's or will 9.6's or 9.4's be saleable later on?

there has been a run up in price the last couple of years. I think there is a lot of downside risk on 9.8 and 9.6. I think a 9.4 is the safe play here. It will still look nice and a newsie in 9.4 don’t bring the usual premium and it will probably sell at a later date around the same price. In my opinion anyway.

On ‎8‎/‎29‎/‎2020 at 7:29 PM, piper said:

Are you looking to acquire in order to complete a run or for investment?  Raw or slabbed? And yes, the tats are extremely important to the value of the book.

8 minutes ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Are you looking to acquire in order to complete a run or for investment?  Raw or slabbed? And yes, the tats are extremely important to the value of the book.

I’ll call it a sentimental investment. I’m a long time Spidey collector that sold my newsstand copy when I downsized from 1 to 700 to 1-50.

I can probably content myself with the Omnibus’s such as the Stern Volume but want to pickup a few more from my childhood.

Edited by piper

20 minutes ago, piper said:

I’ll call it a sentimental investment. I’m a long time Spidey collector that sold my newsstand copy when I downsized from 1 to 700 to 1-50.

I can probably content myself with the Omnibus’s such as the Stern Volume but want to pickup a few more from my childhood.

CGC 9.8 with white pages were slightly over $800 in March, but now they're over $1200, which seems to be in step with the increases that other noteworthy issues of ASM have experienced during the same timeframe (i.e. ASM 252).

If its for sentimental investment, and you can afford it, a 9.8 is the way to go.

On 8/31/2020 at 4:44 PM, Monstro said:

One of my favorite BA Spidey covers. Top 5 for sure.

364633556_ASM119a4.thumb.jpeg.798eeb536a2041ef6427213bea461cae.jpeg

I love this cover. Such great depth of perception, this should be an art teachers example of how to make a drawing come to life. All while being entertaining, colorful, dramatic, fun, etc... how could someone NOT pick this comic up and buy it off the rack???

4 minutes ago, KirbyJack said:

Nine BA Spidey’s for the ninth month.

3B43C821-2CE2-4D61-8415-2B8404E4F822.thumb.jpeg.9b774b7ae2e3a503ca5604ce5bc02eba.jpeg
My older brother was getting ASM during this era, and these are among my best-remembered Spider-Man stories.

I don't remember what happens in the Dr. Strange Story.  If they ever reprint the Vol 4. Omnibus, I'll pick-up a copy.

Edited by piper

Upgraded my 9.4 WP to a 9.6 WP. I would love to have a 9.8 but it is $$$. Is it normal to be able to easily see through the front and back cover to the interior pages? The covers seem awful thin where I can see the print on the inside pages. Especially through the title letters. I have owned a couple copies of this book and never noticed till today. 

4B08A80D-C864-4B78-8FCA-3F38ABF9F203.jpeg