• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze-Age Spideys
12 12

1,663 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Summydad1 said:

Upgraded my 9.4 WP to a 9.6 WP. I would love to have a 9.8 but it is $$$. Is it normal to be able to easily see through the front and back cover to the interior pages? The covers seem awful thin where I can see the print on the inside pages. Especially through the title letters. I have owned a couple copies of this book and never noticed till today. 

4B08A80D-C864-4B78-8FCA-3F38ABF9F203.jpeg

I've noticed it before, seemingly I guess it's because of the whit pages. It even turns up on covers that are not so dark all over lol

I've never found it to be too too distracting, but can see what you mean on this one, where or when it doesnt show up anywhere else  (thumbsu

Still a nice nice looking copy though!

12 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I've noticed it before, seemingly I guess it's because of the whit pages. It even turns up on covers that are not so dark all over lol

I've never found it to be too too distracting, but can see what you mean on this one, where or when it doesnt show up anywhere else  (thumbsu

Still a nice nice looking copy though!

It's usually from a press, right? I just got a copy of X-Men 141, and it doesn't look pressed - you can't see the interior through the cover - but I noticed a lot on eBay where you could and I assumed it was from being flattened out (especially since that book is basically a big white circle in the middle of the cover). I'm guessing the books with lighter colors or color areas on the covers would show the print beneath if they were really pressed flat?

On 9/28/2020 at 7:02 PM, Summydad1 said:

Upgraded my 9.4 WP to a 9.6 WP. I would love to have a 9.8 but it is $$$. Is it normal to be able to easily see through the front and back cover to the interior pages? The covers seem awful thin where I can see the print on the inside pages. Especially through the title letters. I have owned a couple copies of this book and never noticed till today. 

That's not unusual for mid- to late-70s and early 80s Marvels, before the advent of Baxter paper circa 1983.  They were printed on very inexpensive newsprint paper and the covers were printed on very thin paper stock, so some times you get the 'see through' effect, especially on pressed copies.  I am much more careful handling, for example, a raw, high-grade '79 Marvel than a raw, high-grade '72 Marvel.  The '79er is the more delicate book.  That said, the 'see through' effect doesn't affect the grade.  One point is that finding white pagers of late-70s/early-80s Marvels isn't by any means automatic; because of that cheap paper stock, so many of them have degraded to OW/W or OW, and I'm referring to those that were unread and stored in bags by collectors 40 years ago.  The paper quality just wasn't very good.  I remember circa '83 when the Baxter paper copies started coming out on the direct edition books from Marvel and DC and it was like, "hallelujah."  This was in response to what the independent publishers like First Comics and Eclipse had been doing with their new releases circa '81 and '82.

Edited by zosocane

On 9/29/2020 at 5:55 PM, zosocane said:

They were printed on very inexpensive newsprint paper and the covers were printed on very thin paper stock, so some times you get the 'see through' effect,

Ive seen a couple of X-men 104 with this effect especially on the back cover. Same with my slabbed copy. It only shows a little bit from scans however. You have to see it in person.

Aside from 194 I don't know of anymore bronze ASMs that have this? I've seen several silvers with the see through but not too many bronze. 

Check that: ASM 146 has some of it.

Edited by MGsimba77

On 9/15/2020 at 5:08 PM, Spider-Variant said:
On 9/15/2020 at 5:00 PM, KirbyJack said:

You’ll love it: Romita’s homage to Caniff.

Romita at his very best!

Just from observation and its been mentioned here before, there was a point in time between '71 and 73 where he reached this superhuman beastmode level of artwork. I mean on another level off the charts! I'm thinking ASM 106 107 immediately come to mind. And his inking on the Kane issues particularly #96 is just bonkers! The last splash page of 96 :whatthe:

On 9/9/2020 at 5:54 PM, Prince Namor said:

Here's the cover from #100 used for the UK Spider-man Comics Weekly (#138). It's actually the last 10 pages of the story from #100, with the first 8 pages of Iron Man #1 and the last 8 pages of Thor #165... all in glorious black & white newsprint!

ASM 100 weekly.jpeg

That's the nicest copy I have seen of that issue, very nice.

On 9/15/2020 at 2:46 PM, piper said:

I don't remember what happens in the Dr. Strange Story.  If they ever reprint the Vol 4. Omnibus, I'll pick-up a copy.

I'm approaching beating the point to death, but at this point in his run, almost every panel is a work of art.

I was just reviewing ASM 39, because I grabbed a nice 7.0 copy from someone here.

There's a panel of Peter, startled and fearful, that just rocks.

What a talent this guy was.

What an incredible talent.

On 9/15/2020 at 3:46 PM, piper said:

I don't remember what happens in the Dr. Strange Story.  If they ever reprint the Vol 4. Omnibus, I'll pick-up a copy.

It's a contemporary Vietnam story. I love those storylines involving real time events. 

On 10/18/2020 at 11:13 AM, sledgehammer said:

I'm approaching beating the point to death, but at this point in his run, almost every panel is a work of art.

You're absolutely right. Early bronze was a key time for him. Do you have a raw 106? Its like a da Vinci for comics. One of those panels with spidey climbing the wall was the corner circle sketch on M Tales.

Edited by MGsimba77

8 hours ago, MGsimba77 said:

It's a contemporary Vietnam story. I love those storylines involving real time events. 

You're absolutely right. Early bronze was a key time for him. Do you have a raw 106? Its like a da Vinci for comics. One of those panels with spidey claiming the wall was the corner circle sketch on M Tales.

I haven't looked at 106 in forever, and I just did.

There is a lot of uncredited Gil Kane in that one too.

My eye caught it quickly.

Romita's stuff is just so gorgeous to me, and it's definitely what made me try so hard to mimic him when I drew many years ago.

(thumbsu