• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How much is your collection worth?
2 2

How much is your collection worth?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. How much is your collection worth?

154 posts in this topic

I am amazed at the numbers of collectors here who state that they have no idea how much their collection is worth.

No clue? I find that hard to believe.

Why? If you're financially secure and treat it like a hobby, why would you care? I don't track what my house is worth on a daily basis, so why would I worry about my funny books?

while this post is years and years old, the reason one cares is for insurance purposes...sure, folks don't track value of their house daily, but they do insure it, so they/you do have some approximate knowledge of value (or their agent does)...

until you face a theft, or fire, or some other catastrophe, you don't really realize that if your collection is not insured, it needs to be...regardless of whether you are financially secure or not...its the common sense thing to do

I am amazed at the numbers of collectors here who state that they have no idea how much their collection is worth.

Why? If you're financially secure and treat it like a hobby, why would you care? I don't track what my house is worth on a daily basis, so why would I worry about my funny books?

while this post is years and years old, the reason one cares is for insurance purposes...sure, folks don't track value of their house daily, but they do insure it, so they/you do have some approximate knowledge of value (or their agent does)...

until you face a theft, or fire, or some other catastrophe, you don't really realize that if your collection is not insured, it needs to be...regardless of whether you are financially secure or not...its the common sense thing to do

I saw you had posted here and had to take a look but no number. :(

I get asked this question all the time. I will assume you are asking solely about comic book collections. I am at several hundred thousand dollars. Ironically I refuse to pay more than $3,000 for one book and I only collect 9.2 or higher CGC graded books. I used to have a $2,000 per book cap, but had to increase it to finish the collection.

Almost done!

Once I tried to do the math and ended up with having paid something like average $1 to 1.5 per Registry point. It's not an exact measure by any means, but may help as a rule of thumb - maybe not so, if you only have a few special books 2c

Still, I'm not sure the poll in this thread really reflects members of the Registry - although members of these Chat Boards of course my be different hm (in the Registry you walk the walk - here you can talk the talk lol And of course an entire collection may be much more than comics)

Regarding the Registry I started this thread some time ago:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=7869591&fpart=1

And made an update with this post:

"So what has changed during the last year? Here's an overview:

Registry2015_zps1zdwnc9t.jpg

"Points needed to be in [...]" refers to the minimum number of points needed to be part of a category

Forgot to include the top 10 % :sorry: - To fit in that category, today you need 38,091 points or more.

The number of Registry members increased 11 % the last year making it slightly easier to reach for example the top 5 %, 25 % and 50 % (indicating that most new members did not register large collections). And it shows that the Registry is expanding. (If the Registry expands another 11 % the next year, then there will be about 5000 members.)

Even though Cheetah lost a lot of Registry points the last year, it's probably not a trend of high end collections having reduced their Registry points, because today it requires more points to be among the top 1 % than last year (even though the number of members in the top 1 % high-end club also increased 11 % - from 41 to 46).

As written in an earlier post, using average values are not a good idea due to the enormous difference between the lowest and highest amount of Registry points (nearly 3,000,000 to 1). For example, if we (as a thought experiment) include the two highest collections and set all other collections to just 1 point, we can calculate that the average member has a collection worth about 1200 points. So the largest collections introduce a severe bias to an average value, and using average values may be quite misleading. As shown 50 % of all members have less than 1500 points, and every 4th member has less than 250 points. Guess we could say that a normal (IQR) collection now has between 250 and 8300 points."

So I'm betting that 50 % of all Registry members have CGC comic collections worth less than $2k :sumo: And that extremely few persons (less than 1%, probably close to 0.003 %, of current Registry members) have CGC comic collections (made public in the Registry) worth more than $ 1 mill. Well, something like that :)

Still, I'm not sure the poll in this thread really reflects members of the Registry - although members of these Chat Boards of course my be different hm (in the Registry you walk the walk - here you can talk the talk lol And of course an entire collection may be much more than comics)

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=7869591&fpart=1

"Points needed to be in [...]" refers to the minimum number of points needed to be part of a category

Forgot to include the top 10 % :sorry: - To fit in that category, today you need 38,091 points or more.

The number of Registry members increased 11 % the last year making it slightly easier to reach for example the top 5 %, 25 % and 50 % (indicating that most new members did not register large collections). And it shows that the Registry is expanding. (If the Registry expands another 11 % the next year, then there will be about 5000 members.)

Even though Cheetah lost a lot of Registry points the last year, it's probably not a trend of high end collections having reduced their Registry points, because today it requires more points to be among the top 1 % than last year (even though the number of members in the top 1 % high-end club also increased 11 % - from 41 to 46).

As written in an earlier post, using average values are not a good idea due to the enormous difference between the lowest and highest amount of Registry points (nearly 3,000,000 to 1). For example, if we (as a thought experiment) include the two highest collections and set all other collections to just 1 point, we can calculate that the average member has a collection worth about 1200 points. So the largest collections introduce a severe bias to an average value, and using average values may be quite misleading. As shown 50 % of all members have less than 1500 points, and every 4th member has less than 250 points. Guess we could say that a normal (IQR) collection now has between 250 and 8300 points."

So I'm betting that 50 % of all Registry members have CGC comic collections worth less than $2k :sumo: And that extremely few persons (less than 1%, probably close to 0.003 %, of current Registry members) have CGC comic collections (made public in the Registry) worth more than $ 1 mill. Well, something like that :)

All those charts go to sh-t if you can't figure in collections that are mostly raw.Then again I personally don't care about points on a chart. That's when you know you have an extensive collection.

My original collection was right around 35K, I've since sold it all and just started up again this year and I'm sitting at 13K (shrug) Wife wants to maybe spend 10K on levelling our backyard and guess how she wants to pay for it lol NO :sumo:

Jerome

Don't let her do it she'll want you to sell the collection next

My original collection was right around 35K, I've since sold it all and just started up again this year and I'm sitting at 13K (shrug) Wife wants to maybe spend 10K on levelling our backyard and guess how she wants to pay for it lol NO :sumo:

Jerome

Don't let her do it she'll want you to sell the collection next

:kidaround:

What's a backyard? Is that where kids play when they aren't reading comics?

All those charts go to sh-t if you can't figure in collections that are mostly raw.Then again I personally don't care about points on a chart. That's when you know you have an extensive collection.

Not to mention points and dollars may or may not correlate closely. One of my favorite sets has four books in it which total a whopping 77 points. If I were to sell them I would expect to get around $4000 for them.

Not to mention points and dollars may or may not correlate closely. One of my favorite sets has four books in it which total a whopping 77 points. If I were to sell them I would expect to get around $4000 for them.

Yeah these chart guys are funny. If you add all my comics,toys and artwork, mine would be close to 750K conservatively.