• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DITKO's FIRST PUBLISHED COMICS Dated May 1953

76 posts in this topic

BZ,

Opinions or scans as to if there is Ditko content.

There are panels throughout the book that look marginally like they may possibly have been touched by the hand of a very young Ditko.

However, when I compare those examples to his work in Black Magic 27, which would have been produced only a few months later, I have strong doubts.

There is no comparison in the quality of draftsmanship.

The work on "A Hole in his Head" shows signs of the Steve Ditko we all know from his days at Marvel. The Classics Illustrated story shows no evidence of future greatness.

If Ditko helped classmates illustrate Classics Illustrated 110, his contribution must have been small.

DitkoBlackMagic27.jpg

classics_110.jpg

As promised, here are the scans to Captain 3D. I had to play with the scans so they would be viewable. Otherwise they would look like this with the 3D effect Captain3DPg26untweaked.jpg

I'm always surprised how well 3D comics work on screen. Better than on paper in some cases.

So without further ado...

Captain3DPg3.jpg

Captain3DPg6.jpg

I don't know how much Ditko is supposed to be there.

Overall, it reminds me of those generic Topps Kirbyverse comics like Bombast.

I'd say that the guy melting in the last panel of the upper page and the characters being thrown for a loop in the first panel of the lower page show signs of Ditko.

Thanks for all the scans and cleanup

Jack

Jack, there are so many hands working on this book it's almost impossible for any (other than Kirby) to stand out. Kirby, Ditko, Meskin, too many to honestly decifer. The cover, however, is more obviously touched by Ditko

Captain3-D.jpg

#8 is clearly done partly by Ditko. 3 of the 5 faces coming out of the frame are by SD.

S

the other two faces are NOT YET PROCESSED

lulz

1633707414_7a1d337142_b.jpg

Is this still the first Ditko cover or is that wrong too?

BB

As far as i am concerned it is.

Just like Daring Love #1 appears to remain (forever) the earliest known solo Ditko story, Thing 12 will remain (forever) the earliest known solo Ditko cover.

My discussion of CI #107 i instituted here does not seek to knock Daring Love 1 off its perch - as i easily agree with another post which says there is not enough Ditko in 107 to get too crazy about other than the concept there is clearly Ditko in the story.

I credit Ditko with keeping my interest in comics alive during the SA. I knew a Ditko cover and would always grab it first, the people on it were so alive and electric. He also drew some hot babes. Does anyone know if he every did any nudes? Or any great GGA?

This would be a good place to start. I don't have a copy so i couldn't say whats in it. While not on the cover, Ditko is inside.

http://pwbeat.publishersweekly.com/blog/2007/09/24/clean-cartoonists-dirty-drawings/

Clean.jpg

2123796480_64f7eaf487_b.jpg

I think this is one of the Barks' covers that was rejected . I am not sure whether it was because there was no proof that he did it or it wasn't risque enough. Or I just didn't send it to Craig. I submitted several other Bark's drawings that I think he did use (or at least one). I haven't seen the book either. Maybe I am not old enough. Whether it is Barks or not, let me be the first to say I hope you have a Happy New Year!

bb

Ditko also worked with and was a good friend of Eric Stanton (they shared a studio from 1958 to 1966). Eric Stanton was primarily an Erotic style artist. Stanton did the Inks & Ditko colored much of Stanton's work. So Ditko did do erotic art!!!

Here's a scan of some Stanton work which was PROBABLY colored by Ditko.

Notice how it does resemble Ditko!!!

stanton.jpg