• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DITKO's FIRST PUBLISHED COMICS Dated May 1953

76 posts in this topic

Ditko also worked with and was a good friend of Eric Stanton (they shared a studio from 1958 to 1966). Eric Stanton was primarily an Erotic style artist. Stanton did the Inks & Ditko colored much of Stanton's work. So Ditko did do erotic art!!!

Here's a scan of some Stanton work which was PROBABLY colored by Ditko.

Notice how it does resemble Ditko!!!

stanton.jpg

Do you know what year this was? This guy looks a lot like Baron Mordo's younger brother.

Bill

Do you have any of his art school art for your book?

Do you? Have you ever physically seen some of this work that has been expressely confirmed as Ditko? And who confirmed it as Ditko, if you have?

Sincerely,

Blake Bell

http://www.ditko.comics.org/

No i do not have any of his art school book stuff. Wish i did, i would share it with you in a heart beat - so your finally soon-to-be-published, long-awaited Ditko book from Fantagraphics, would be as complete as possible

Cat Yronwode told me many many moons ago that she was given Ditko's three high school year books in the mid to late 1970s by a NYC-area comic book store (memory eludes right now, extreme sorry about that), chock full of Ditko art,

which set her on the path to all those interviews she did with Ditko's class mates and Steve's little brother Pat - which led her to contemplate doing the definitive Ditko book beginning at this stage some 30 years ago.

Cat mailed post cards to every one listed in the year books. She said 20-30% responded and she taped interviews over the phone, some were done via mail

The "hole" in your book i referred to was meant to be directed at the fledgling pro art seen in CI #107 - i miss copy pasted i guess.

I just assumed you had tracked down the Ditko high school year books

I saw one on eBay some years back - wish i had gone more aggressively after it at the time

Do you have any of his art school art for your book?

Do you? Have you ever physically seen some of this work that has been expressely confirmed as Ditko? And who confirmed it as Ditko, if you have?

Sincerely,

Blake Bell

Cat Yronwode told me many many moons ago that she was given Ditko's three high school year books in the mid to late 1970s by a NYC-area comic book store (memory eludes right now, extreme sorry about that), chock full of Ditko art,

which set her on the path to all those interviews she did with Ditko's class mates and Steve's little brother Pat - which led her to contemplate doing the definitive Ditko book beginning at this stage some 30 years ago...I just assumed you had tracked down the Ditko high school year books

Hi Robert. Oh, I not only tracked down those yearbooks, and interviewed Cat for over 3 hours for my book, but I also tracked down actual evidence that refutes everything that you say above that Cat told you.

I'll leave the rest to my book, but I will say that if Cat told you these yearbooks were full of Ditko artwork, that too was a fabrication.

And wait until my book unloads on some of the other fabrications that have been sold as "facts." June '08 is almost just around the corner...

When you said "art school book" I thought you meant Ditko's time at the Cartoonists & Illustrators School (now The School of Visual Arts), as opposed to his time in high school.

Which time frame did you mean? What I quoted you on implied that you had some knowledge of, or had seen, art from Ditko's time at the C&I School. Have you?

I also didn't see a response to a point in my original post, where I asked you: "You also said, 'Keep in mind Ditko was still a student at the art school Jerry Robinson and Mort Meskin were teaching at the time these art story jobs came available.' Do you have specific dates for when Ditko was at the school, and when Meskin was there too? If so, what's the source? When did Ditko join the school and when did he 'graduate'/leave?"

Can you answer to the above?

Sincerely,

Blake Bell

PS. I just called and left you a mesage to call me. We should talk before I send my next message to my ditkokirby yahoogroups discussion list.

Yo Blake,

And we have since had that conversation, clearing out a lot of cob webs in the process - good talking with you

Cat never told me the year books "were full of Ditko art work" - that was my assumption (an amazing fantasy wish most likely) when i said "chock full of Ditko art" above only because so many other comic book artists contributed to their own respective high school year books

- are you saying there is not Ditko art work in any of them?

bummer if there is not - i have never had a chance to see them, one was on eBay some years back, wish i had been more aggressive in going after it at the time, but, alas, funds were low, who knows, maybe i was bidding against you

at some point some Cat acquired a Johnstown PA phone book, is also my understanding -

you simply jumped to potential conclusions here re "art school book" - maybe my post ran a couple thoughts together

And i replied earlier, i believe, and since also told you when we talked on the phone that my files for that kind of data are not available to me right now. I had moved my ware house year ago - and boxes of research data is still being sorted slowly, as i sift thru mountains of accumulated research, a lot done before we could place it easily these newer computers with zillions of gig

so, what are the dates he went to the art school? help a guy with a broken hip joint out as i am not going to speed up the process by lifting many boxes searching at the other end of my resources

Very soon i am going to go to NYC and ask Ditko himself on this - settle it once & for all

I don't see a lot that reminds of Ditko except a few panels on page 5. The perspective on that page is different.

Maybe also running woman and cops top of p 4, certainly secondary characters as you mentioned on p 5.

Strange story. The "hairy palms" on p 2 and "pile of dandruff" gags are funny.

Thanks,

Jack

DITKOSTANTON-01.jpg

Please excuse at least me not seeing your post until today considering i started this thread.

I had not been on the CGC threads for couple months as i work towards having the $$$ to obtain a hip replacement operation brought on by being a passenger in a van accident many years ago heading from a comicon in Houston to one in Dallas the following week end many moons ago. The pain is getting intolerable these days, main reason i went from 30 shows in 2005, 8 in 2006, just 3 in 2007.

Anyway, i think Greg would have been best served posting some of the pages to a thread such as this, to educate his buying public as it were, as i surely had never heard of this item before either.

The Tacshen Stanton book Bud Plant sells has a 1958 photo of Ditko at work in the studio - he involvement with Stanton is widely & well documented. I personally think (along with friends long into Ditko) Stanton helped ink on the first 10 or so Am Spidermans back in the early 60s.

This Ditko/Stanton item is super rare, obviously 50 years later. Thanks for bringing this to the forum's attention. Way cool - definitely

Robert Beerbohm Comic Art

www.BLBcomics.com

eBaystore: BLBcomics

Listers,

Stanton/Ditko?

I would hope that your eyes would tell you that answer.

Look for the complete thirty page story, as well as many early Ditko gems in STEVE DITKO: EDGE OF GENIUS in June of 2008. Tons of early Ditko.

By the way, that solicitation is supposed to be in today, so I must bolt.

More on the title and contents soon.

Regards,

Greg Theakston

Pure Imagination Publishing

http://www.pureimagination.info/

P.S. THE LOU FINE READER V2 ships this week.

Allow my chiming in really late on this one, just found out about it yesterday while researching Seymour Moskowitz in connection to Ditko and digging up Classics Illustrated #107.

So, how about throwing in some real factual evidence into this case now?

What about this for starters. The whole panels are from CI #107, and I have pasted around them meaningful excerpts from Ditko's very early works for comparison.

As an aside: one thing that should be taken in consideration when conducting that kind of work are the internal discrepancies. For instance, the opening page reprises Ditko's incense lamp from story page 7 (I say reprises because to me page 1 may have been done later by Moskowitz alone, as a kind of introductory potpourri, and the incense lamp is one of Ditko's trademarks), but the design and rendering are way cornier and lack any of Ditko's suggestive ornaments (looks more like a miniature lighthouse atop a barrel to me). This is one of the many instances which indicate input by different artists.

Best,

Tristan Lapoussiere

Classics_Illustrated_107_Page9panel.jpg

Classics_Illustrated_107_Page25panel.jpg