• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2nd String DC Sci-Fi
1 1

1,249 posts in this topic

Awesome thread!

Here's a grey tone that is one of my favorites...

I love the pink sky in this cover. The story of the Saragaso Sea reminds me of one of my favorite Hammer films: THE LOST CONTINENT (its quite a little gem of a film).

Bill

I bet a high grade, glossy copy of this issue would look awesome. Mine's faded and dull.

Thanks for the warm welcome AtlasFan, Inaflash, and selegue. I look forward to sharing more of my collection (during those rare times when I’m not up to my eyeballs in alligators) and learning more about the technical details that make the DC books from this era so special.

Much of what I’ll be showing was acquired during the 1960s, at a time when structural grade was rarely discussed. For me, it was always about eye appeal, and I was willing to overlook a bit of corner fraying, edge notching, and light creasing, so long as the books were clean and flat, the colors were bright, the pages were fresh, and the cover registration was solid. Don’t look for many pedigree-quality grades here!

Here’s a nifty run of early pre outer space theme TOTU. Again, apologies to all for duplicating a few of the images already contributed. Best regards.

TOU006.jpg

TOU007.jpg

TOU008.jpg

TOU009.jpg

TOU010.jpg

TOU011.jpg

TOU012.jpg

TOU013.jpg

TOU014.jpg

TOU015.jpg

Thanks for the warm welcome AtlasFan, Inaflash, and selegue. I look forward to sharing more of my collection (during those rare times when I’m not up to my eyeballs in alligators) and learning more about the technical details that make the DC books from this era so special.

Much of what I’ll be showing was acquired during the 1960s, at a time when structural grade was rarely discussed. For me, it was always about eye appeal, and I was willing to overlook a bit of corner fraying, edge notching, and light creasing, so long as the books were clean and flat, the colors were bright, the pages were fresh, and the cover registration was solid. Don’t look for many pedigree-quality grades here!

Here’s a nifty run of early pre outer space theme TOTU. Again, apologies to all for duplicating a few of the images already contributed. Best regards.

More great books! Those early TOTU remain quite elusive. Your requirements for selecting books sounds a lot like my own.

But I have to ask... why are you up to your pupils in gators?

BIll

MGA017.jpg

I love this book and have not been able to find a nice copy. Yours is gorgeous.

Ken

Thanks a bunch for adding another impossible-to-find-in-grade-1950s-all-person_without_enough_empathyin'-greytone.

Seriously, that is one beautiful, beautiful book....

Shep

MGA017.jpg

I love this book and have not been able to find a nice copy. Yours is gorgeous.

Ken

Thanks a bunch for adding another impossible-to-find-in-grade-1950s-all-person_without_enough_empathyin'-greytone to my want list!!!

Seriously, that is one beautiful, beautiful book....

Shep

Outstanding! Certainly no need to apologize for any duplicates.

It looks like many of the books are from the same news stand with the KC/date notation. Did you buy those directly off a local stand, or from someone who did?

There are so many styles here, I had to look up the artists at GCD to satisfy my curiosity and because I'm trying to learn to spot them. I hope you don't mind my hijacking your scans for the "lesson". What a parade of talent, with surprisingly few repeats.

Thanks for posting a whole run.

Jack

Ruben Moreira -- lady under glass cover!

TOU006.jpg

Nick Cardy. This one confuses me every time I see it. Without the logo, I'd swear it was one of Schaffenberger's ACG covers. Does anyone else see a strong resemblance to Schaffenberger?

TOU007.jpg

Leonard Starr

TOU008.jpg

Leonard Starr again. This one looks unusual to me, almost minimalist like later Toth.

TOU009.jpg

Mort Meskin. He was terrific!

TOU010.jpg

Leonard Starr with tour de force coloring.

TOU011.jpg

Bill Ely. I wonder why the photorealism on Calvin. Was he supposed to resemble a current celebrity?

TOU012.jpg

Jack Kirby

TOU013.jpg

Sheldon Moldoff

TOU014.jpg

Ruben Moreira (and certainly Jack Adler, right?)

TOU015.jpg

Hijack away any time you feel like it, Jack. Knowledge truly is power, and I'm certain we all appreciate the lesson. I, for one, had no idea that so many different artists would ever be associated with such a relatively short title run.

The KC books (including many not shown) were acquired at different points in time from a couple of different sources. I've always been of the opinion that distributor marks add to a book's character.

Great stuff guys. I enjoyed the books and the listing of the artists (the only ones I guessed right were the first Moriera one and the Kirby).

These are very hard to find, but last year I got an Unexpected 7 and 19.

Hijack away any time you feel like it, Jack. Knowledge truly is power, and I'm certain we all appreciate the lesson. I, for one, had no idea that so many different artists would ever be associated with such a relatively short title run.

The KC books (including many not shown) were acquired at different points in time from a couple of different sources. I've always been of the opinion that distributor marks add to a book's character.

I would love to see more books from this "KC" Collection...who knows, it could be a brand new pedigree!!!

Bill

This is one of my all-time favorite Kirby covers (next to HOM #85 - which appears ealier in this thread).

This is seen by some as a prototype to the Doom Patrol's Negative Man (who would debut a couple of years later)..and they may have a point. The character is very similar - the Negative Man comes and goes from the body of his host scientist.

The Neg Man here, however, is much closer in appearace to the Kirby Torch as he appeared in FF1 (mostly yellow and light orange). Great story.

HOM_84.jpg

Reminds me of that Star Trek episode where the transporter splits Kirk into his good and evil halves.