• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What are your OA collecting goals for 2008?

74 posts in this topic

So, what are your OA collecting goals for 2008? (shrug)

In previous years, I've always set a budget at the beginning of the year and have always ended up exceeding that amount by a laughably wide margin, so I'm going to forego that this year. doh! Instead, my goal for this year is to appreciate what I have and to be more selective in my purchases. I'm hoping that the opportunity arises this year to acquire a true grail-level piece :wishluck: , but if the stars don't align, my goal is to be patient and not just acquire more for more's sake (especially not at current price levels!) :juggle:

Anybody else have any specific objectives in mind for 2008? hm

My goals are all nostalgia-based, throw reason out the window:

1. MIRACLEMAN. Looking for a nice interior.

2. ROCKETEER. This one will be tough.

3. GL/GA. Another tough one.

If none of it happens, I'm OK with that. Had a very good 2007, so anything else is a bonus at this point.

Last year, my goal was not to exceed by OA budget. I went over by double.

This year -- at this very second -- my goal is not to buy ANY more comic OA this year. Of course, as I type this, I've just completed a deal for a JG Jones' piece that I've long wanted.

And it's only January.

What are the odds?

Happy New Year to you Gene! I'd like to continue my focus on quality as opposed to quantity. When I first started collecting, I bought any page I could afford that remotely interested me and ended up with a lot of panel pages that were simply OK. I think that has happened to a lot of OA collectors when they first enter the game. I've since sold most of those pages as I focus more on truly special pieces. It doesn't have to be a splash or cover necessarily, but it won't be run of the mill either. Unfortunately, with these current prices, it seems that I have to be increasingly selective in what I look at. Last year, I was only able to acquire three whole pieces. Two of them were big time in my book and the other was a nice splash of New Asgard from the new Thor series so I think I did OK last year.

I hope everyone has a good New Year and finds their grail piece for a price they can afford.

Chris (thumbs u

Add a few more commissions from Golden Age artists and as always, a few more Krenkels, maybe even a painted one. Really trying to save my money for Illuxcon in November where RGK's Estate will be set up as well as a bunch of other artists, so I know I will be tempted sorely.

I have 3 Goals for my Comic OA Collection this year...

1. Learn more about this facet of the comic hobby. I'd just like to get to the point where I feel like I am comfortable with all of the different knowledge areas here (pencils v. blue line, market value on certain artists, sketches, etc).

2. Acquire a nice Batman sketch (pages will be too expensive) something in the style of Kelley Jones or Norm Breyfogle.

3. Acquire a Herb Trimpe classic Wolverine sketch.

Aside from some commission work (one is in the works, the other I'm still waiting to hear from :wishluck: ). Those not withstanding, here's my list (in no particular order):

1) Eisner Spirit page

2) Kirby, any Kirby

3) Gil Kane page/splash/cover

4) Starlin Warlock page/splash/cover

5) George Perez page

Forgot to add 7) Eric Powell Goon page/splash/cover

Last year at this time, I had decided to stop buying art for the forseeable future and concentrate on saving cash. (remember when I told you that Rob?) I ended up spending more last year than any other year since I began collecting. (sigh) This year , like Gene, I resolve to not collect simply to aquire more art, but I will try to be more selective in what I purchase. I may also actually sell some pages that I perhaps don't NEED to own to fund other purchases instead of ringing up the bills. That said, I'll probably spend more this year than last year....because...I'm an addict. Heh. Happy New Years everyone!

Jay

So, what are your OA collecting goals for 2008? (shrug)

"To crush my enemies, see them driven before me, and to hear the lamentations of the women"

to-crush-your-enemies-see-them-driven-before-you-and-to-hear-the-lamentation-of-the-women-1137.jpg

Or get a really nice Rich Corben painted or inkwashed piece....one or the other.

Chris

My goals for 2008 are:

1. Continue to maintain focus on only buying pages I plan to keep for the long term. Last year I bought a reasonable numer of pages but all of them for the log term.

2. Pick up at least four more Batman the Animated pages with one being a cover.

3. Pick up a Byrne Hulk page.