• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What are your OA collecting goals for 2008?

74 posts in this topic

1) Buy a Y: The Last Man Page by Pia Guerra w/the main characters on it (Yorkick, 355, Dr. Mann, and Ampersand)

2) Buy a Mouse Guard page

3) Maybe get a Fear Agent page.

4) Mainly see #1

My goals for 2008...

1) get a Kent Williams Sandman page.

2) frame some more of my art

3 to 99) get a Kent Williams Sandman page. :)

This year I'd like to try and trade as much as possible towards other pieces rather than "just buying". Maybe I won't feel so broke if I do that!

Well my 2008 art budget got shot to heck a few days after Christmas when I agreed to spend way too much money on a piece I had to have. Check went out yesterday so I am looking forward to a major art day soon.

As a result of this transaction, my goals for 2008 have been reduced to selling enough art to cover some of the cost of my new acquisition and create some spending money in case I need a war chest.

I'm going to try and frame about 6 pieces over the next few months (once I'm back home). I'll do my best to wait until Hobby Lobby has a 50% off custom framing sale. I also want to scrape up enough to be able to pickup a top notch Tony Moore Walking Dead page, or more ambitiously, a cover. I'll also probably pick up a nice Jae Lee splash page from the next arc of the Dark Tower series. Other than that, I have twins due in May= I'll probably be broke after my tax refund's spent. doh!

I also have seven commissions that are pending which should be coming in over the next few months (all bought and paid for)

It's always fun to articulate one's goals...then review them in December and sigh.

For me, nostalgia rules (1976-1979 Marvel superhero stuff):

Priority #1: Perez FF pages from issues 171-178

Priority #2: Byrne or Cockrum X-Men page

Priority #3: Byrne MTU or Champions page(s)

Priority #4: Buscema/Staton Hulk action pages from 195 - 209, especially #200

Priority #5: Any sweet Starlin, J. Buscema, or Tuska page from my youth

I don't collect covers anymore -- can't afford them. Starting to love panel pages and splashes more and more!

Dan

Add a few more commissions from Golden Age artists and as always, a few more Krenkels, maybe even a painted one. Really trying to save my money for Illuxcon in November where RGK's Estate will be set up as well as a bunch of other artists, so I know I will be tempted sorely.

Oh....I can help you generate some capital.. hm .You've got a piece I've wanted for a long time.. :headbang: ..and we've talked about it via email....seems like a good time to "remind" you :baiting: I am still here......waiting.... :devil:

X M E N art.

1) To fill in the pages for the Uncanny Silverage Xmen issues that I don't have examples of.

2) Find other Xmen reprint covers from the #67 -93 era.

3) Locate other Golden Age / pre- Silverage Marvel art (Timely/ Atlas).

(worship)

for me, it would be:

1) a 1970s marvel kirby cover with a decent image of captain america on it

2) 1970s perez avengers pages

3) bws gorblimey press piece

4) gulacy bizarre adventures pages

5) neal adams avengers page

Aside from some commission work (one is in the works, the other I'm still waiting to hear from :wishluck: ). Those not withstanding, here's my list (in no particular order):

1) Eisner Spirit page

2) Kirby, any Kirby

3) Gil Kane page/splash/cover

4) Starlin Warlock page/splash/cover

5) George Perez page

6) Risso Batman Page

Fixed it for you Angelo! :grin:

Hi Gene -

Happy New Year to you! It is always nice to start off a new year dreaming of hopeful things.

Here's a list of wants, listed in no particular order, but which might be subconsciously listed in the order of stuff that I'd like to get first. Although, of course, it never really works out that way.

Neal Adams - Avengers page; GL/GA page, X-men page; Batman/Detective page in that order.

Frank Miller - DD page from early in the run, or a DKR page

George Perez - Avengers page or a nice Teen Titans page

John Byrne - Uncanny X-men pages, or other nice examples of early Marvel Byrne art

Michael Golden - a nice Micronauts page, or a nice Batman page

Jim Starlin - a Captain Marvel page

Berni Wrightson - a Swamp Thing page OR a nice page from a horror comic

Michael Kaluta - a nice Shadow page

Marshall Rogers - 1970s Detective pages

Bob Layton - Iron Man page (preferably from run with John Romita, Jr.)

Dale Keown - nice Hulk page

Jim Lee - X-men page

Gil Kane - Green Lantern page (not a big Gil Kane fan, but saw some the early stuff, and it is really rather appealing)

Jack Kirby - a 1960s Marvel page (a nice representative example)

Steve Ditko - an ASM page (this probably never will happen).

Brian Bolland - a nice Judge Dredd page, a KJ page (another pie in the sky dream), or a nice cover.

It is probably a little too ambitious to complete all of this in 2008, unless, of course, we hit that all elusive lottery, but it never hurts to dream.

Best regards.

- Artemis

Aside from some commission work (one is in the works, the other I'm still waiting to hear from :wishluck: ). Those not withstanding, here's my list (in no particular order):

1) Eisner Spirit page

2) Kirby, any Kirby

3) Gil Kane page/splash/cover

4) Starlin Warlock page/splash/cover

5) George Perez page

6) Risso Batman Page

Fixed it for you Angelo! :grin:

:roflmao: What was I thinking leaving Risso off

Hmmm.... my tastes seem to continually evolve. But as of Jan. of this year my collecting goals for the rest of the year are:

1. Bama Doc Savage cover painting

2. Chaykin Star Wars pages from issue 1-6... ok, I'd be happy with even one more, as I've given up on a cover.

3. A killer Manning Robot Fighter page

4. A really representative Tumbleweeds Daily.. no, really!

5. Alex Raymond Flash Gordon Sunday

6. Wood EC SciFi cover!

7. Everett Sub-mariner Specialty drawing or sketch

8. McQuarrie Star Wars concept piece

9. Finlay Pulp cover w/ Girl, bubbles, etc.

10.... isn't that enough to keep me running ragged??

My guess is I will accomplish about 20%.... any help would be appreciated! :hi:

Hmmm.... my tastes seem to continually evolve. But as of Jan. of this year my collecting goals for the rest of the year are:

1. Bama Doc Savage cover painting

2. Chaykin Star Wars pages from issue 1-6... ok, I'd be happy with even one more, as I've given up on a cover.

3. A killer Manning Robot Fighter page

4. A really representative Tumbleweeds Daily.. no, really!

5. Alex Raymond Flash Gordon Sunday

6. Wood EC SciFi cover!

7. Everett Sub-mariner Specialty drawing or sketch

8. McQuarrie Star Wars concept piece

9. Finlay Pulp cover w/ Girl, bubbles, etc.

10.... isn't that enough to keep me running ragged??

My guess is I will accomplish about 20%.... any help would be appreciated! :hi:

Dan, your tastes are becoming . . . refined! :applause:

So, what are your OA collecting goals for 2008? (shrug)

In previous years, I've always set a budget at the beginning of the year and have always ended up exceeding that amount by a laughably wide margin, so I'm going to forego that this year. doh! Instead, my goal for this year is to appreciate what I have and to be more selective in my purchases. I'm hoping that the opportunity arises this year to acquire a true grail-level piece :wishluck: , but if the stars don't align, my goal is to be patient and not just acquire more for more's sake (especially not at current price levels!) :juggle:

Anybody else have any specific objectives in mind for 2008? hm

Several years ago, I came to the (smug?) conclusion that I'd pretty much nailed most of my (realistic) original art collecting aims.

If, from this day forward, I was to never add another item to my collection - I would be more than ecstatic with the artwork I now have.

True grail-level piece?

I have several (and I'm not using the term lightly).

A budget for this year?

I've never been so self-disciplined. More often than not, I've had to go out on a limb to achieve the best results.

If something 'must-have' surfaces, I'm forever amazing myself with my ability to channel into resources and make things happen (move mountains?) . . .

Specific objectives for 2008?

Nah, it's never that clinical. You simply don't know what's lurking on the horizon . . . and what sort of tricks you'll pull out your bag to make it happen. ;)