• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What are your OA collecting goals for 2008?

74 posts in this topic

Wait I forgot

11. Stanley Little Lulu page or story

12. Bolling Little Archie Story

...ummm, Terry, you're going to have to re-think that 're-fined' comment....

Hmmm.... my tastes seem to continually evolve. But as of Jan. of this year my collecting goals for the rest of the year are:

1. Bama Doc Savage cover painting

2. Chaykin Star Wars pages from issue 1-6... ok, I'd be happy with even one more, as I've given up on a cover.

3. A killer Manning Robot Fighter page

4. A really representative Tumbleweeds Daily.. no, really!

5. Alex Raymond Flash Gordon Sunday

6. Wood EC SciFi cover!

7. Everett Sub-mariner Specialty drawing or sketch

8. McQuarrie Star Wars concept piece

9. Finlay Pulp cover w/ Girl, bubbles, etc.

10.... isn't that enough to keep me running ragged??

My guess is I will accomplish about 20%.... any help would be appreciated! :hi:

Dan, your tastes are becoming . . . refined! :applause:

Wait I forgot

Hmmm.... my tastes seem to continually evolve. But as of Jan. of this year my collecting goals for the rest of the year are:

2. Chaykin Star Wars pages from issue 1-6... ok, I'd be happy with even one more, as I've given up on a cover.

6. Wood EC SciFi cover!

Actually, I want a Warren Kremer STUMBO cover . . . and a Bushmiller NANCY Sunday . . . so we're not exactly poles apart! :grin:

Mine would be as of this second.

1.) Barry Kitson cover (should have it in mail soon)

2.) Barry Kitson Empire #1 Cover (will be getting in a couple of weeks)

3.) Judge Anderson page from 2000 AD (preferably kitson)

4.) Spiderman page by Kitson (when they come out)

5.) Buy random Empire pages as I go.

that might take up most of my limited budget.

Y'know what the truly sad part is.... except for the Bolling story and the Mcquarrie concept piece, I've passed on each and ever item on my list before. Just had other higher priorities and thought they'd come around again.... and maybe they weren't the 'perfect' examples for me at the perfect price!!.... I'm kicking myself now. DF

Wait I forgot

6. Wood EC SciFi cover!

Actually, I want a Warren Kremer STUMBO cover . . . and a Bushmiller NANCY Sunday . . . so we're not exactly poles apart! :grin:

Nah, it's never that clinical. You simply don't know what's lurking on the horizon . . . and what sort of tricks you'll pull out your bag to make it happen. ;)

I see it that way too in any collecting field not just OA. If you absolutely know what you're going to buy for the upcoming year then you are not open enough to what surprise possibilities can and will present themselves.

Cool tread Gene, Happy New Year!

This is my 7th year in the OA hobby, so I am still pretty new at this, but to my advantage I have been around this hobby as long as I can remember and knew some of the top art collectors and dealers before I started collectiong OA which gave me a little "head start" at the beginning. I also now know so many OA collectors and dealers so it is just like back when I was collecting comics!

This coming year, as I have stated in one or two other places, I am shifting just a bit. I am still collecting one of every artist I like, but I am moving to one I of every artist I "really" like and it has to be:

A) an iconic image of a character or characters. Something like these:

Avengers double page pin-up

Superman/Gen13 cover

B) a great painted piece like these:

Watson Civil War cover

Lago Timely Presents cover

C) a mixture of both iconic and painting like these:

Wagner Batman & the Monster cover

Harris Staman 7 cover

Larkin Fantastic Four Fireside Trade cover

D) a fantastic image like these:

Williams Captain Marvel 4 cover that make 1 image

Brunner Nexus 3 cover 1st series

D) of course, some lovely ladies like these:

Maguire Who's Who in the DCU: Poison Ivy

Akin and Garvey Marvel Fanfare Elektra pin-up

Or, finally, just something waaaay cool, like these:

Miller Janson Spider-Woman cover

Jean Last Sons novel cover

So........I am now going for pieces I want to frame and look at all day long and would now rather wait for one like that instead of "getting my OA fix" by buying something to add to my collection if nothing else comes along that next convention or auction.

My wish list for '08 is to stay within my budget, get the really cool piece I am trying to buy/trade for at this moment, get a piece of painted art from an Overstreet PG, Maybe some more Grateful Dead comic art, have fun collecting with my daughter (which means more good looking ladies, bummer! I keed, I keed!), and spending more time talking while learning, sharing, buying and trading with my fellow collectors!

With all that said, who knows, I may change my mind in a month or two :insane:lol

It's not how much you have. It is how much knowledge you have about a market or hobby. It took me most of my life, living and breathing comic books, to become what some to consider an "expert" in our hobby. It will take me a long time before I have that amount of knowledge about OA.

It's funny, just because people have $ and do research, does not make them "experts", but look at these boards (not so much in OA), quite a bit of chest thumpers claim to have enough knowledge to give advice to too many others. (tsk)

I would never claim to be up to speed on OA with the likes of Mr.'s Forman, Mandel, Brunswick, Donnelly(s), Snyder, Weist, D'Amico, Koch, Danker, Maalouf, Eschenberg, Dunbier, Fishler, Moy, Burkey, Naidu, etc....I could go on, but you get the picture.

so, I still consider myself "new" to the hobby as it relates to knowledge and experience (shrug)

I completely see where you are coming from in not wanting to claim to be an expert in the field. But I do think you should give yourself some credit.

You have a nicely diversified collection that speaks of someone who is clearly informed about the hobby as a whole. Your collection isn't just a large hoard accumulated through the "fine art of money throwing," but something that has a look and feel to it. You even discuss further honing your OA collection in the article from "Scoop." I think this speaks of someone who is past the "new" stage and entering somewhere into the realm of knowledgeable able to articulate the various aspects of the hobby they want to capture in their collection. Hard to do this if you're new! Not impossible, but hard nonetheless;)

So I stand by my decision to compliment you Steve- even if you're going to be too humble to admit and/accept it. :foryou:

I completely see where you are coming from in not wanting to claim to be an expert in the field. But I do think you should give yourself some credit.

You have a nicely diversified collection that speaks of someone who is clearly informed about the hobby as a whole. Your collection isn't just a large hoard accumulated through the "fine art of money throwing," but something that has a look and feel to it. You even discuss further honing your OA collection in the article from "Scoop." I think this speaks of someone who is past the "new" stage and entering somewhere into the realm of knowledgeable able to articulate the various aspects of the hobby they want to capture in their collection. Hard to do this if you're new! Not impossible, but hard nonetheless;)

So I stand by my decision to compliment you Steve- even if you're going to be too humble to admit and/accept it. :foryou:

Sounds like true . . .:luhv:

Saw a similar thread resurected in General and thought it might be interesting to see how everyone here fared...

I would LOVE to land an early TMNT page...however, thats not very likely...

As far as I'm concerned, I completely met my goal and some. I had a pretty great OA year and hopefully it continues on into the next.