• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What are your OA collecting goals for 2008?

74 posts in this topic

Great year for me! Landed a bunch of other stuff too (all in my CAF).

I have 3 Goals for my Comic OA Collection this year...

1. Learn more about this facet of the comic hobby. I'd just like to get to the point where I feel like I am comfortable with all of the different knowledge areas here (pencils v. blue line, market value on certain artists, sketches, etc).

Still learning, but I feel like I have at least a flashlight while fumbling in the dark :grin:

2. Acquire a nice Batman sketch (pages will be too expensive) something in the style of Kelley Jones or Norm Breyfogle.

Not yet...

3. Acquire a Herb Trimpe classic Wolverine sketch.

Got one and love!

My goals for 2008 are:

1. Continue to maintain focus on only buying pages I plan to keep for the long term. Last year I bought a reasonable numer of pages but all of them for the log term.

2. Pick up at least four more Batman the Animated pages with one being a cover.

3. Pick up a Byrne Hulk page.

#1 success, not only did I maintain focus, but I sold some older pages that didn't fit into my collecting scope.

#2 success, I picked up four Batman the Animated pages with three being covers :banana:

#3 Failure :sorry: but I did pick this up :banana:

salbushulk.jpg

Did great this year about being more selective about my purchasing and just going for stuff off my want list. Got my great V page, and a great Batman cover -- both high priority wants. Got some other wants at good prices as well (Y and Starman covers).

Let's hope '09 is just as successful!! My want list has definitely shrunk, so I'm hoping to buy even fewer pieces than this year. ;)

Lets see :

Don Martin published gag - Failed!

Burne Hogarth inked panel or strip (preferably Tarzan) - Failed!

Al Williamson penciled and inked sci-fi 60s page, Flash Gordon would be best. - Failed

But it was still a great year

1. Picked up the two best pages from one of my favorite stories from Uncanny X-Men #153

2. AH! Stargrazers cover

4. Some nice bday strips including Bloom County (with Bill the Cat), X-9 and Wizard of Id

be seeing you,

Brian

Didn't anticipate picking up much art at the beginning of the year, but things change...

If I had stated a goal, Everett is always at the top of my list. Everything else is pretty much out of left field.

The highlights:

wolvertonb.jpg

starmanbig.jpg

everett58board.jpg

submarinerx.jpg

My wife actually doesn't want to know how much I spend. When its a big purchase and I sorta ask her opinion she just looks at me and says..."you're going to buy it anyway so why are you asking me?" But she says it with a smile...usually.

I never really have very specific collecting goals except buy more cool Avengers pages whenever they come up but I was very happy this year to finally aquire the splash to Avengers #147 which was my first comic off the racks and which many of you left very nice comments for in my CAF gallery. (thanks). I was outbid on Ebay by Kirk Dilbeck (posted on CAF) on a very nice Barry Smith Avengers page from #99 which I really would have loved to have and was one of my 2008 goals I guess. I also turned down a few offers of Avengers splashes because the price was just too high for me. I am truely hoping the economic downturn leads to lower prices across the board because I do not buy for investment but for nostalgia, but I will not hold my breath.

Jay

Hi Gene -

Happy New Year to you! It is always nice to start off a new year dreaming of hopeful things.

Here's a list of wants, listed in no particular order, but which might be subconsciously listed in the order of stuff that I'd like to get first. Although, of course, it never really works out that way.

Neal Adams - Avengers page; GL/GA page, X-men page; Batman/Detective page in that order.

Frank Miller - DD page from early in the run, or a DKR page

George Perez - Avengers page or a nice Teen Titans page

John Byrne - Uncanny X-men pages, or other nice examples of early Marvel Byrne art

Michael Golden - a nice Micronauts page, or a nice Batman page

Jim Starlin - a Captain Marvel page

Berni Wrightson - a Swamp Thing page OR a nice page from a horror comic

Michael Kaluta - a nice Shadow page

Marshall Rogers - 1970s Detective pages

Bob Layton - Iron Man page (preferably from run with John Romita, Jr.)

Dale Keown - nice Hulk page

Jim Lee - X-men page

Gil Kane - Green Lantern page (not a big Gil Kane fan, but saw some the early stuff, and it is really rather appealing)

Jack Kirby - a 1960s Marvel page (a nice representative example)

Steve Ditko - an ASM page (this probably never will happen).

Brian Bolland - a nice Judge Dredd page, a KJ page (another pie in the sky dream), or a nice cover.

It is probably a little too ambitious to complete all of this in 2008, unless, of course, we hit that all elusive lottery, but it never hurts to dream.

Best regards.

- Artemis

Wow, looking at this, I realize that I spent what I would consider to be a good amount of money in this hobby in 2008, but attained only one of my stated 2008 collecting goals for 2008, namely a Romita Jr. / Layton Iron Man page.

Only one for sixteen - well that's a 06% success rate --- lol! If I were to be allowed to amend the list, I would include a Keith Giffen / Larry Mahlstedt Legion page, which is something that I had been looking for and was able to pick up in 2008.

Ah well, maybe this year I'll be able to knock a couple of more things off of the list . . . . on the other hand, generally speaking, I'm happy with the pieces that came my way in 2008 .

Here's to looking back and looking forward, always an interesting exercise.

Best regards to everyone.

- A

Well, the year's not over, but I'm too busy at work to pick anything else up most likely so here goes....

Found #1, a great Bama Doc Savage Cover! I could have been done with just this.

Found #2, but passed as the prices were too high

Did not find 3 or 4.

Found #5 but passed as the price was too high

Found #6, but passed for same reason and reset my goal to a killer Wally Wood Ec Scifi page and added that to my collection!

Found #7, but passed for price.

Found #8, but the insufficiently_thoughtful_person who runs the auction had a glitch in his bidding system even though I was required to give him a credit card which always irks me...

Found #9, but have decided that I will most likely never own one of these for price, managed to wrangle a beaut of an interior by Finlay though w/Scifi Girl.

#10...no, not enough, as I also added numerous Doc Savage paintings by Vallejo, Larkin, and Barr... another Kirby Cap Cover, some nice DeCarlo, Hildenbrandt, Norem Hulk, Hannes Bok pulp illo, Feldstein EC cover... and a few others.

#11 Added a Great Stanley/Tripp Lulu page and a Stanley Lulu Cover!

#12 Did not find a Bolling Little Archie story, but found a later cover, and quite a few Dexter Taylor vintage LA stories...

All in all, a good year. As prices have risen though and my collection nears completion, I realize that my goals for 2009 will be somewhat more modest. Haven't started thinking about them yet as I am in full on Holiday retail mode and this year is shaping up to be a banner year. DF

Wait I forgot

11. Stanley Little Lulu page or story

12. Bolling Little Archie Story

...ummm, Terry, you're going to have to re-think that 're-fined' comment....

Hmmm.... my tastes seem to continually evolve. But as of Jan. of this year my collecting goals for the rest of the year are:

1. Bama Doc Savage cover painting

2. Chaykin Star Wars pages from issue 1-6... ok, I'd be happy with even one more, as I've given up on a cover.

3. A killer Manning Robot Fighter page

4. A really representative Tumbleweeds Daily.. no, really!

5. Alex Raymond Flash Gordon Sunday

6. Wood EC SciFi cover!

7. Everett Sub-mariner Specialty drawing or sketch

8. McQuarrie Star Wars concept piece

9. Finlay Pulp cover w/ Girl, bubbles, etc.

10.... isn't that enough to keep me running ragged??

My guess is I will accomplish about 20%.... any help would be appreciated! :hi:

Dan, your tastes are becoming . . . refined! :applause: