• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 DEATH

18 posts in this topic

Just got my grail Master of Kung Fu piece in the mail and wanted to share it. I'd been looking for a nice MOKF page casually for a few years. The comic was one of the first that got me into collecting back as a kid, and has always been close to my heart. The series had it's ups and downs, but the highlights were the strong art runs by Gulacy, and later in series, the too-short run by Gene Day.

Gene was mainly a bullpen marvel inker, but when Mike Zeck moved to a different title, they asked him to take over pencilling as well. He started in issue 100, and immediately created a unique style combining strong Steranko-ish design elements and pacing, dark, detailed linework, and foreign architecture and sculpture elements.

His unique style infuriated Jim Shooter, the EIC at the time, and they battled contantly over Gene's refusal to adhere to Marvel standard 6 panel pages. The stress and tough working environment took thier toll on Gene, and he tragically died of a coronary at the age of 31. He only got to finish 18 issues of Master of Kung Fu before his untimely death.

Thanks to Robert Frey and Roger Clark for helping me get this:

daymokf11126100smnj0.jpg

Thanks! Dave Sim wrote at length about the fights with Shooter. If you google it a lot of links will come up. At one point Day did a continuous 5-page background, and that was the end of his work at Marvel.

The pages are from #111.

please don't thank me at all, matt-- it was my pleasure to help point you in the right direction. i am very happy roger had something you really wanted.

but you know, oddly enough, i still cannot see what you got, lol! arrrrrrrrrrrrrgh!

MASTER OF KUNG FU, eh?

Congrats, here's the lyrics of an old UK song (dating from 1974) for ya:

"Everybody was kung-fu fighting

Those cats were fast as lightning

In fact it was a little bit frightning

But they fought with expert timing

They were funky China men from funky Chinatown

They were chopping them up and they were chopping them down

It's an ancient Chineese art and everybody knew their part

From a feint into a slip, and kicking from the hip

Everybody was kung-fu fighting

But they fought with expert timing

There was funky Billy Chin and little Sammy Chung

He said here comes the big boss, lets get it on

We took a bow and made a stand, started swinging with the hand

The sudden motion made me skip now we're into a brand knew trip

Everybody was kung-fu fighting

But they did it with expert timing

(repeat)..make sure you have expert timing

Kung-fu fighting, had to be fast as lightning"

KARL DOUGLAS

lol

His unique style infuriated Jim Shooter, the EIC at the time, and they battled contantly over Gene's refusal to adhere to Marvel standard 6 panel pages. The stress and tough working environment took thier toll on Gene, and he tragically died of a coronary at the age of 31. He only got to finish 18 issues of Master of Kung Fu before his untimely death.

This is very sad to hear.

OTH, glad you found such a killer piece! :applause:

Info on Gene Day & Jim Shooter link

Just got my grail Master of Kung Fu piece in the mail and wanted to share it. I'd been looking for a nice MOKF page casually for a few years. The comic was one of the first that got me into collecting back as a kid, and has always been close to my heart. The series had it's ups and downs, but the highlights were the strong art runs by Gulacy, and later in series, the too-short run by Gene Day.

Gene was mainly a bullpen marvel inker, but when Mike Zeck moved to a different title, they asked him to take over pencilling as well. He started in issue 100, and immediately created a unique style combining strong Steranko-ish design elements and pacing, dark, detailed linework, and foreign architecture and sculpture elements.

Thanks to Robert Frey and Roger Clark for helping me get this:

daymokf11126100smnj0.jpg

Oops . . . I nearly forgot to congratulate you on such an outstanding piece of art. Now that I see your image, I can certainly appreciate the quality.

The term 'Grail' is tossed around too lightly in art collecting circles . . . but I can now see why you insist it is a true grail for you.

Superb. (thumbs u :applause: