• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Batman 1

17 posts in this topic

CGC says 3.5!?

How could they be wrong? devil.gif

I see this is the Golden-Age grading curve in effect here... mad.gif

As a Silver-Age collector I would say Good to Good+(on a sunshiney day).

Big spine roll, staple detached at cover and at centerfold.

Tons of wear... Come on... VG- my ars!

boo.gifboo.gifboo.gif

If someone tried to sell me an FF 2 or FF 12 that looked like that and called it a VG- I'd be hard pressed not to laugh out loud. sign-rantpost.gif

CGC says 3.5!?

How could they be wrong? devil.gif

I see this is the Golden-Age grading curve in effect here... mad.gif

As a Silver-Age collector I would say Good to Good+(on a sunshiney day).

Big spine roll, staple detached at cover and at centerfold.

Tons of wear... Come on... VG- my ars!

boo.gifboo.gifboo.gif

If someone tried to sell me an FF 2 or FF 12 that looked like that and called it a VG- I'd be hard pressed not to laugh out loud. sign-rantpost.gif

Yeh, I'm with Aces (and many others, obviously) on this one...even with the "kinder, gentler" grading that CGC seems to apply to GA books - especially keys - this is nowhere near my idea of a VG- comic. I'd say G/G+ at best. Hell, if the cover and c-fold weren't "half-detached," I'd still give it a G+ or so... with those two significant defects, I'm thinking G is a pretty kind grade.

It would be fascinating to see a side-by-side comparison of 10 - 20 "VG- 3.5s" (or just about any other grade, for that matter) from various Ages... I'm sure they'd be all over the map in terms of appearance.

I'd say, 2.5. Mainly due to the extremely dirty cover and the general wear.

By the way, I've seen examples where CGC used "Golden-Age grading curve" on Silver Age books.

I once saw an auction for a "VF 8.0" Amazing Fantasy # 15 that had a crease that made me go 893whatthe.gif *that's* a VF??

This was a few years ago, around that time I had sent a handful of comics to CGC.

I kept looking at it the picture with the big old corner crease, and then looking at my copy of X-Men # 95 that to my eye looked minty that they gave a VF- (I still don't know why) confused-smiley-013.gif