• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'll pound you to a "Pulp" if you don't show off yours!
23 23

9,038 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, BarristerBaker said:

I still hope for the day a grading service starts taking pulps. Challenging ask, but I’d pay more than I do for comic format. That space is ripe to explode. Just needs grading, IMO. 

I think what would really make it explode is a book like the Gerber volumes of GA comics. I've been a casual pulp collector for probably 30 years mostly for the covers. I am regularly seeing great covers I never knew existed. Now, the challenge is finding copies. They are so much harder to find than comics.

2 hours ago, steranko said:

Hey, RedFury! May I suggest you drop me a line at  supergraphics@prevue.net  which I think will provide an opportunity for me to send you an image for your consideration. And FYI: We're coincidentally in the same part of the universe! Small world, huh? JS

Wow, the man himself here on the boards! Welcome sir. I spoke to you at cons a few times about your love for pulps. It's great to have a true pro amongst us. Feel free, if you want, to share some of your stuff with us if you want.   (worship)

1 hour ago, Robot Man said:

Wow, the man himself here on the boards! Welcome sir. I spoke to you at cons a few times about your love for pulps. It's great to have a true pro amongst us. Feel free, if you want, to share some of your stuff with us if you want.   (worship)

I'll heartily second that! He's been collecting stuff forever (sort of like you, RM) and I'm ready to see some of that stuff in color bigger than the small black-and-white pics which appeared in volume one of The Steranko History of Comics, in what was my first exposure to all those great pulps. 

Indeed, welcome.  (thumbsu

9 hours ago, Robot Man said:

I think what would really make it explode is a book like the Gerber volumes of GA comics. I've been a casual pulp collector for probably 30 years mostly for the covers. I am regularly seeing great covers I never knew existed. Now, the challenge is finding copies. They are so much harder to find than comics.

RM, not sure if you saw this one but a recent book (released last month) aims somewhat at that: The Art of the Pulps

From the preview of the book, it looks similar to the Robinson book - Pulp Culture, but that was close to 20 years ago. This crew certainly also took its existence in consideration. I haven't seen Art of the Pulps in person but will certainly keep an eye out for a cheap copy. All contributors are knowledgeable. 

16 hours ago, steranko said:

Hey, RedFury! May I suggest you drop me a line at  supergraphics@prevue.net  which I think will provide an opportunity for me to send you an image for your consideration. And FYI: We're coincidentally in the same part of the universe! Small world, huh? JS

Thanks Jim.  Email sent! 

On 12/1/2017 at 6:36 PM, Scrooge said:

RM, not sure if you saw this one but a recent book (released last month) aims somewhat at that: The Art of the Pulps

From the preview of the book, it looks similar to the Robinson book - Pulp Culture, but that was close to 20 years ago. This crew certainly also took its existence in consideration. I haven't seen Art of the Pulps in person but will certainly keep an eye out for a cheap copy. All contributors are knowledgeable. 

This book looks great and just ended up on my Christmas list!  Thank you!

And a couple more Weird Tales in this week.  The Feb 39 issue has "The King and the Oak" with King Kull; even if it is 'just' a poem I consider that a very nice addition to the collection.  And this gives me the small run from November 1938 to April 1939.  It's nothing huge, but it's nice to have even a small solid run of issues.

Weird_Tales_1938_12.jpg

Weird_Tales_1939_02.jpg

1 hour ago, OtherEric said:

And a couple more Weird Tales in this week.  The Feb 39 issue has "The King and the Oak" with King Kull; even if it is 'just' a poem I consider that a very nice addition to the collection.  And this gives me the small run from November 1938 to April 1939.  It's nothing huge, but it's nice to have even a small solid run of issues.

Weird_Tales_1938_12.jpg

Weird_Tales_1939_02.jpg

Awesome pulps! Keep on going, not enough people appreciate these books. You will have a very unique collection in no time.

The problem with the last issue has always been my willingness to pay very much money at all for it; it's arguably the most wanted issue of the entire run.  But this one was very cheap.

Creators in this issue include Ayn Rand, Franz Kafka, Robert E. Howard, Ray Bradbury, and Virgil Finlay.  This has got to be one of the most bonkers books ever published:

FFM_1953_06.jpg