• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'll pound you to a "Pulp" if you don't show off yours!
23 23

9,006 posts in this topic

Just picked up a Phantom Detective from January 1934 from the “Strasser” collection.

Although not VF, this is the earliest copy from the “Robert Strasser” collection that I have seen in decent condition, and I have spent hundreds of hours trying to document pulps from this collection.

The Shadow’s and Doc Savage’s from this collection were not in high grade (newsstand condition) until March 1934. Issues before this from those two titles and others seem to be bought second hand and not off the newsstand.

phantom detective strasser.jpg

On 12/1/2017 at 7:26 AM, BarristerBaker said:

I still hope for the day a grading service starts taking pulps. Challenging ask, but I’d pay more than I do for comic format. That space is ripe to explode. Just needs grading, IMO. 

Taking it a step further - I inquired of CGC as to whether they could grade the sci-fi digests.  A much easier task than their gnarly big brothers.  After careful examination, the answer was no.

I've mentioned before that I'm trying to put together a complete run of Heinlein's professionally published prewar stories.  (I'm deliberately phrasing that to avoid looking for an issue of Futuria Fantasia; I'm crazy but not crazy enough to set that as a goal.)

There are three stories that never appeared in a collection of Heinlein's works during his or Virginia Heinlein's lifetimes.  One, "Beyond Doubt", was co-written with Elma Wentz.  The Heinleins, while never including it in a Heinlein collection, either could not or chose not to keep it from being published in other anthologies.  The other two stories, "Pied Piper" and "My Object All Sublime", were never reprinted after their original publication in 1942 until they finally appeared in "Off the Main Sequence" from the SFBC in 2006, and then in the "Virginia Edition" of Heinlein's complete works.  But even with those two recent printings they're still the rarest Heinlein stories.  Of the two, "My Object All Sublime" is arguably the very rarest, since the issue of Astonishing Stories with "Pied Piper" had a Canadian reprint a couple months after it originally came out, but the February 1942 issue of "Future" did not:

TL; DR:   Woot!

Future_1942_02.jpg

Edited by OtherEric
typo

On December 17, 2017 at 6:50 AM, RedFury said:

These Saucy Movie Tales are really tough to find, much tougher than the Spicys from the same era.  I got lucky and recently got 7 of these 8 in one fell swoop!  So happy with them!

All covers are by Norman Saunders, signing under his middle name "Blaine".

2XGSDsCl.jpg 12ivHEbl.jpg OPupJPcl.jpg xJseR7bl.jpg dQp6YOMl.jpg wMiXFENl.jpg fRn7D4nl.jpg Rk0sxNcl.jpg

Wow! What a haul! These are maybe my favorite pulp title and so VERY hard to find!

On December 12, 2017 at 10:05 PM, detective35 said:

Just picked up a Phantom Detective from January 1934 from the “Strasser” collection.

Although not VF, this is the earliest copy from the “Robert Strasser” collection that I have seen in decent condition, and I have spent hundreds of hours trying to document pulps from this collection.

The Shadow’s and Doc Savage’s from this collection were not in high grade (newsstand condition) until March 1934. Issues before this from those two titles and others seem to be bought second hand and not off the newsstand.

phantom detective strasser.jpg

That rocks Dwight! Care to do a little back story on that collection for us?