• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'll pound you to a "Pulp" if you don't show off yours!
23 23

9,111 posts in this topic

23 hours ago, lpsunburst said:

I picked these up at my local monthly Con here in DC, the condition of these was such that I could not pass them up, these bedsheets are still very supple. I love how they phrase it "Scientific Fiction".

img471.jpg

img472.jpg

img473.jpg

And they originally pharased it "Scientifiction".  Editor Hugo Gernsback is credited with creating the term science fiction, but it took a few tries to get there.

oPQL4yRh.jpg

3 hours ago, lpsunburst said:

Love it, my copy is January 1932 is your copy later? Interesting to see Hugo work through the coining of the term.

Mine is the Sep 1928 issue.  I'm not sure when Gernsback first used the term "scientifiction", but I looked through my covers and saw an earlier appearance of the term on the Apr 1928 issue.

50MywCLh.jpg

3 hours ago, OtherEric said:

Not exactly pulps, but I think people here would still find them interesting:

965C1EDC-53D3-4A91-B23F-8930578218D4.jpeg

FDD9C33F-E5B8-45CA-B252-1B55B6711C40.jpeg

Neat!  I've never heard of those stories, but I've certainly heard of the author. :)

Today's trio: two aviation pulps and a western:

46889296.a34dfaec.800.jpg

This Range Riders features the same artwork later used on the Popular Library paperback number 166 - "Sky Pilot Cowboy" by Walt Coburn - a common practice by publishers and always fun to make the connection.

46889298.a48190fb.800.jpg

And some of these Dare-Devil Aces covers are as busy as a Schomburg Timely or Nedor!

46889300.877540b1.800.jpg

On ‎6‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 12:36 AM, OtherEric said:

Also from Summer 1942, the Fantastic Adventures quarterly.  Burroughs might not be as high demand as he used to be, but it's still always a treat to get a pulp with his work in it:

Fantastic_Adventures_Quarterly_1942_Summer.jpg

Who is credited as the cover artist on this book?

7 hours ago, Hap Hazard said:

Got to show this found it while on vacation,

The All-Story Magazine July 1912 Under the Moons of Mars by Norman Bean, AKA ERB the sixth and final installment. Just a few months till Tarzan of the Apes debuted in this title.

all-story july 1912.jpg

That's super-cool!

5 hours ago, Scrooge said:

Who is credited as the cover artist on this book?

The book says "Cover designs by Frank Durban and Jay Jackson".  Neither of those names are particularly familiar to me.  One of the credits is probably for the back cover.

Fantastic_Adventures_Quarterly_1942_Summer_BC.jpg

4 hours ago, Scrooge said:

I am not familiar with them either. I'll have to look them up.

Your post reminded me of this photo I snagged off the internet a long time ago with some FA Quarterlies in great shape -

FQs1.jpg

So many bright, wonderful spines - swwoooon...  :x