• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'll pound you to a "Pulp" if you don't show off yours!
23 23

9,111 posts in this topic

So I just read Hodgson's The House on the Borderland for the first time (another new Arkham House acquisition).  Holy cr@p, this is a great story!  How did I not know how good this was?  How was a cosmic story of this magnitude written more than 100 years ago?  Wow!

iCWqgFOh.jpg

1 hour ago, OtherEric said:

And, finally, the June-July 1939 issue.  This one is just full of good stuff; including both a poem and part two of "Almuric" by Robert E. Howard; a poem and two stories by Lovecraft; and an amazing Finlay cover.

Weird_Tales_1939_07.jpg

Nice!  That's one I'm missing.  A 160-pager.
In March 1939, Weird Tales switched from a 128 to 160 page format.   The experiment only lasted 5 issues, and they skipped a month in there too, maybe because they couldn't fill the issue.

Edited by RedFury

52 minutes ago, RedFury said:

Nice!  That's one I'm missing.  A 160-pager.
In March 1939, Weird Tales switched from a 128 to 160 page format.   The experiment only lasted 5 issues, and they skipped a month in there too, maybe because they couldn't fill the issue.

This was  the last of the 1939 160 pagers I needed.  It actually ran 6 issues, starting in February.  They dropped the price when they dropped the page count from 25 to 15 cents.

Weird_Tales_1939_02.jpg

On 9/26/2018 at 7:41 PM, RedFury said:

So I just read Hodgson's The House on the Borderland for the first time (another new Arkham House acquisition).  Holy cr@p, this is a great story!  How did I not know how good this was?  How was a cosmic story of this magnitude written more than 100 years ago?  Wow!

iCWqgFOh.jpg

Yeah, my dad told me about the book many years ago. Read it and loved it. Nice looking dust jacket.

Ken

On 10/4/2018 at 6:41 AM, RedFury said:

Amazing Detective Tales, complete 5 issue run, Jun-Oct 1930.  Has there ever been a better assortment of covers on a small run like this?  Art for the June, July, and September issues by John Ruger, August by Earle Bergey, and October by Howard V. Brown.

lLodtgSl.jpgyDZbSsEl.jpgEXzv3cul.jpg2bVmaRbl.jpg1gNLUljl.jpg

Never seen any of those before, you're right when you say it's an impressive set of covers for a short run like that.

Is this a bedsheet?  I'm guessing since it's from Gernsback in 1930; but that's just a guess.

4 hours ago, OtherEric said:

Never seen any of those before, you're right when you say it's an impressive set of covers for a short run like that.

Is this a bedsheet?  I'm guessing since it's from Gernsback in 1930; but that's just a guess.

Yep, all are bedsheet sized, and they're the larger sized ones that Gernsback did in this era (the bedsheets got slightly bigger in 1928 or so, the earlier 1926-27 ones are a little smaller).

On 10/4/2018 at 6:41 AM, RedFury said:

Amazing Detective Tales, complete 5 issue run, Jun-Oct 1930.  Has there ever been a better assortment of covers on a small run like this?  Art for the June, July, and September issues by John Ruger, August by Earle Bergey, and October by Howard V. Brown.

lLodtgSl.jpgyDZbSsEl.jpgEXzv3cul.jpg2bVmaRbl.jpg1gNLUljl.jpg

What a nice set, really don't see too many of these.

I've been looking for the October issue myself. Any other CAS fans here?

28 minutes ago, htp said:

What a nice set, really don't see too many of these.

I've been looking for the October issue myself. Any other CAS fans here?

Thanks!

I haven't gotten around to reading any CA Smith yet.  Any suggestions?

16 minutes ago, RedFury said:

Thanks!

I haven't gotten around to reading any CA Smith yet.  Any suggestions?

I have to admit to being pretty ignorant about his Weird Tales contributions. I just don't have enough of those. I do have most/all of his Wonder Stories though. Of the top of my head, I'd suggest (all in Wonder)

The Eternal World - March 1932

Master of the Asteroid - October 1932

Dweller in the Martian Depths - March 1933

The City of the Singing Flame - July 1931 (and the sequel Beyond the Singing Flame - November 1931)

The Light from Beyond - April 1933

They're all pretty short reads, so not a big investment if anything. Some of those from my collection (in need of upgrades...):

flame.jpg.f940308299d4fa4c7e2eb39224faf961.jpg

andromeda.png.731156805316d85acbc2622c36b1299e.pngmaster.jpg.52013cd221e632dc2b785b868688814f.jpg

They all have nice interior illustrations too.

1137825842_martiandepths.thumb.jpg.be7ebd3b8145e095489cf8bd08323d53.jpg