• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'll pound you to a "Pulp" if you don't show off yours!
23 23

9,006 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, OtherEric said:

Two books in this week.  I already have the Nov-Dec 47 issue, but the price was too good to miss.  I know someone who will appreciate it as a Christmas gift.

AC3C8FCE-696C-40F4-B71A-A2E3BBB71DA2.jpeg

What a totally weird cover for a Doc digest.  :makepoint:

7 hours ago, Robot Man said:

H. P. Lovecraft :luhv:

astounding2:36a.jpg

I think that's the hardest of the four Lovecraft Astoundings to find by a fair margin.  It wasn't the last one I got, but only because I wasn't prioritizing getting the March issue until I tracked down this one.

Hard to believe that Lovecraft only got four pulp covers during the entire pulp era; and even then one was for a story he ghost wrote for Houdini and the other was only on a Canadian edition a few years after his death.  So really, only two under his own name during his lifetime.  They're both absolute classics.

5 hours ago, OtherEric said:

I think that's the hardest of the four Lovecraft Astoundings to find by a fair margin.  It wasn't the last one I got, but only because I wasn't prioritizing getting the March issue until I tracked down this one.

Hard to believe that Lovecraft only got four pulp covers during the entire pulp era; and even then one was for a story he ghost wrote for Houdini and the other was only on a Canadian edition a few years after his death.  So really, only two under his own name during his lifetime.  They're both absolute classics.

That is kind of amazing when you think about it.  Can you imagine if he had been given the cover spot for "The Call of Cthulhu" or "The Dunwich Horror"?  Or "The Outsider" or "The Festival"?  Wow, those would be amazing books.  
I've got the Houdini Weird Tales and the two Astoundings, but I still need the Canadian variant, and I've never seen one in person.

6 hours ago, RedFury said:

That is kind of amazing when you think about it.  Can you imagine if he had been given the cover spot for "The Call of Cthulhu" or "The Dunwich Horror"?  Or "The Outsider" or "The Festival"?  Wow, those would be amazing books.  
I've got the Houdini Weird Tales and the two Astoundings, but I still need the Canadian variant, and I've never seen one in person.

I somewhat understand why there weren't any Lovecraft covers on Weird Tales in the 1930's; Lovecraft stories are not noted for scenes that play to Brundage's style.  I will never understand how anybody thought "The Ghost Table" provided a better cover image than "The Call of Cthulhu", though.  And it baffles me that none of the reprint series, like Avon Fantasy Reader, ever used a Lovecraft story for a cover either.

Here's a Hannes Bok illustration from the reprint of "The Outsider" in Famous Fantastic Mysteries, at least.  We did get some amazing interior illustrations, at least. 

FFM_1950_06_outsider.jpg

On 1/11/2019 at 4:31 PM, mstrange said:

Recent pickup of HG Weird Tales

IMG_20190111_134945.jpg

Very nice!  The one in the lower left, The Black God's Kiss from October 1934, is one of my favorites.  It doesn't get as much attention as some other Brundage covers, but I think it's a classic.  

19 hours ago, rjpb said:

An impulse buy a few months ago. I'll probably sell it, but I love this cover.

saucymt001.thumb.jpg.ed71ca0f65d84df7c6203bcb78457457.jpg

A beautiful Norman Saunders cover!  I've been trying to put the run together and I've got that one.

41 minutes ago, RedFury said:

Very nice!  The one in the lower left, The Black God's Kiss from October 1934, is one of my favorites.  It doesn't get as much attention as some other Brundage covers, but I think it's a classic.  

Agreed on the Black God's Kiss cover; would love to eventually get a copy

What Brundage covers do get the most attention, anyway?  The Batwoman cover is pretty obviously the most famous; and Red Nails gets a lot of attention as well.  Not really sure beyond that which ones really get the attention; with only 74 total covers it's not that hard to say "all of them".