• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'll pound you to a "Pulp" if you don't show off yours!
23 23

9,006 posts in this topic

It's an odd observation, I know, but Marvel Science Stories & Dynamic Science Stories are very much a mirror image forerunner to Marvel Mystery Comics & Daring Mystery Comics. Marvel Science Stories #1 debuted in November of 1938. It's third issue was cover dated February 1939, as was Dynamic Science Stories #1. Marvel Comics debuted with a small print run in October 1939, with a larger second printing in November 1939. It's third issue (now Marvel Mystery Comics) was cover dated January 1940, as was Daring Mystery #1. That coincidence always struck me as cool. 

Marvel Science Stories 3.JPG

Dynamic Science Stories 1.JPG

2 hours ago, RedFury said:

These are my favorites.  There's a lot more I could add, but these are the 16 that I think are her best.  I haven't included anything post-1938, because honestly I think the quality drops off.

JhyY7MIl.jpg

All strong choices, but I would need to include the Weird Tales "peacock" cover.  :cloud9:

39 minutes ago, PopKulture said:

All strong choices, but I would need to include the Weird Tales "peacock" cover.  :cloud9:

That one I've got, unlike any of the ones RedFury showed. 

Mostly agreed on the post-1938 covers, although they're still pretty good.  There are at least a couple latter ones I really like, but they're not as iconic as the earlier run.

Weird_Tales_1937_11.jpg

16 minutes ago, PopKulture said:

No, the one OtherEric posted with the plumage.  I wasn't even aware there was a literal peacock cover!  :foryou:

Haha, oh yeah, I do have that other one but totally forgot about it.  I was racking my brain trying to think of a Brundage peacock cover, and there it is!  lol  That is a good one!