• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'll pound you to a "Pulp" if you don't show off yours!
23 23

9,039 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, pmpknface said:

This is very cool!!!  Does it say where or what town on the Hudson?  It's where I'm from.  :)

Haven't really had the chance to sit down and read it yet, but it looks like it takes place at near some place called Hart's Island, and later mention leaving a bar and walking to 130th street.  Can't pull out a city name yet, the book's a bit brittle, and looks like some tape was tried to fix it some time ago making is slow going.

10 hours ago, waaaghboss said:

Haven't really had the chance to sit down and read it yet, but it looks like it takes place at near some place called Hart's Island, and later mention leaving a bar and walking to 130th street.  Can't pull out a city name yet, the book's a bit brittle, and looks like some tape was tried to fix it some time ago making is slow going.

Ok, cool.  Lemme know if it names any other towns.  A quick google search and Hart's Island isn't on the Hudson by in Long Island Sound.  I'm from the Beacon / Fishkill / Poughkeepsie / Newburgh area, about 60 miles north of NYC.  

1 minute ago, Scrooge said:

Cool site!  Thanks!

On 1/14/2019 at 3:01 AM, OtherEric said:

Nice find.  It always amuses me that most dime novels weren't actually 10 cents...

A lot of people indeed term this class of early American fiction "dime novels" -  I know I do sometimes - but the old-time hobbyists refer to them as "nickel weeklies."  There are also "story papers" and "thick books."  

They're all cool to me!  :shy:

A brace of Amazing Stories from 1957 in today.  The March issue features stories by Harlan Ellison, Ellis Hart (a pseudonym for Harlan Ellison), and Lee Archer (a house named being used, in this case, by Harlan Ellison.)  Two of the three have never been reprinted.  The August issue has one Ellison story that was reprinted once in 1969 but never collected.

It may just be me, but these both strike me as very "50's monster movie" covers.  Stuff like this is why I love Amazing Stories even when I frequently don't actually like it, if that makes any sense.

Amazing_Stories_1957_March_August.jpg

Just in today.  I would describe this one as "small stories by big names".  Stories by Robert Bloch, Fritz Leiber, Ray Bradbury, Hannes Bok, and H. P. Lovecraft.  But all fairly minor works; the Lovecraft story is part four of Herbert West: Reanimator, for example.  Which may be one of Lovecraft's better know stories because of the movies, but it's not generally regarded as a highlight of his work.

Weird_Tales_1942_11.jpg

4 minutes ago, OtherEric said:

Here's the day's best book.  This one has my vote for the most underrated Weird Tales cover by a mile.  It seems to get missed since it's Finlay rather than Brundage.  But, for me at least, Finlay is far and away the better artist.  I love Brundage, but her work is in a very narrow band.  So Finlay doing a Brundage-esque cover, like this or Frozen Beauty cover a couple month later, is just stunning.

Plus, a poem by Howard and the first pro publication of Polaris by Lovecraft (although it had three non-pro publications before this).  And supple pages, to boot.  What's not to love about this book?

Weird_Tales_1937_12.jpg

That is my favorite Finlay cover, I think.  And what a lineup!  Congrats!

4 hours ago, Pat Calhoun said:

Bumping back past that cool Argosy to 'The Sea Witch': yes a wonderful Finlay cov, but what a yarn as well. I've read it half a dozen times over the years and look forward to several more. A unique heroic fantasy novella: mysterious and romantic and deeply beautiful. (ps - the 1964 pb {bought one new off the rack} also features another of the great fantasies, a novelette by Robert E. Howard, 'Pigeons From Hell')

wtpb.jpg

I'm looking forward to reading it tonight.  It probably says something that it's included in a collection like this; Dyalhis isn't one of the Weird Tales legends like the other names on the cover are.