• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'll pound you to a "Pulp" if you don't show off yours!
23 23

9,065 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Robot Man said:

Great cover! I love the pulp baseball issues. Makes me want to dip into my pulp boxes and revisit them. Looks like the Phillies made some deep investing this year. Hope it pays off for you. Me, I’m just dying again this year. My team has won their division 5 or 6 times in a row and two unsuccessful WS trips in a row.  It just has gotta happen this year...

I like the baseball, football, and hockey ones best.  Anything with a great cover that catches my eye, or features a famous player.  Fun stuff!

Yeah, I have high hopes for my Phillies this year.  We'll see how all the new pieces fit together and hope it runs like a well-oiled machine.  Good luck to your Dodgers!  Thanks for taking care of Utley for the last few years. :) 

1 hour ago, Robot Man said:

Great romance pulps Fury. I rarely see them much any more and these are awesome!

Thanks!  I really like holiday covers, and like you mentioned romance pulps are hard to find, so even though I prefer to collect in high grade I've learned with these sometimes you have to take what you can get.  But it's exciting when I do find an upgrade!

1 hour ago, RedFury said:

I like the baseball, football, and hockey ones best.  Anything with a great cover that catches my eye, or features a famous player.  Fun stuff!

Yeah, I have high hopes for my Phillies this year.  We'll see how all the new pieces fit together and hope it runs like a well-oiled machine.  Good luck to your Dodgers!  Thanks for taking care of Utley for the last few years. :) 

It was an honor to have Chase Utley as a Dodger. Hard to find a man so dedicated to his craft and so talented. A great human being and family man. He is a local from my home town and does a lot for local kids. Too bad he didn’t get a ring here. I know how beloved he was in Philly. We all miss him terribly. 

Spicy’s are very nice, but not mint.  The pictures they have up do not show the edges of the pulp overhangs, the pictures are cropped!

However, the entire Planet run is from the Yakima collection,  so they will be all close to NM with white pages

I have just a handful of Yakimas. Nothing real key but wanted to have a few in my collection. In general, nicest pulps I have ever seen. The pages are amazing. Mine all look like they were never read. Not many pedigree pulp collections out there but they certainly deserve a pedigree in my opinion.

So I missed setup at WonderCon yesterday, but today a story was circulating regarding a killer stack of 10 early Weird Tales pulps. I managed to track down the source and main buyer, and all I can say is that I have never seen pulps in this type of condition before. The only downside (for me) was that the page quality was cream with a hint of edge tanning, still supple and nice. The inside covers were bone white.

The first three Conan issues. The famous green background ‘bat-girl’ issue. Two classic St. John covers. A 1931 issue by an artist unknown to me. Another great Brundage cover. And two I didn’t see.

The common denominator seems to be Robert E.Howard, so whomever cherry-picked these off the stands nearly 9 decades ago had excellent taste. 

I am mainly a comic guy - pulps are secondary to me - but the issues I saw were truly astounding. I don’t think any cellphone pic could do them justice. They were priced very aggressively (from what I know) but had no trouble moving. Duh.

Edited by sacentaur

12 minutes ago, RedFury said:

Nice looking copy!  And one of Howard's best stories, Worms of the Earth, is in there. ^^

Thanks Todd! The classic St. John cover, and part 1 of BoV, also attracted me. :cloud9:

On 3/29/2019 at 7:43 PM, sacentaur said:

So I missed setup at WonderCon yesterday, but today a story was circulating regarding a killer stack of 10 early Weird Tales pulps. I managed to track down the source and main buyer, and all I can say is that I have never seen pulps in this type of condition before. The only downside (for me) was that the page quality was cream with a hint of edge tanning, still supple and nice. The inside covers were bone white.

The first three Conan issues. The famous green background ‘bat-girl’ issue. Two classic St. John covers. A 1931 issue by an artist unknown to me. Another great Brundage cover. And two I didn’t see.

The common denominator seems to be Robert E.Howard, so whomever cherry-picked these off the stands nearly 9 decades ago had excellent taste. 

I am mainly a comic guy - pulps are secondary to me - but the issues I saw were truly astounding. I don’t think any cellphone pic could do them justice. They were priced very aggressively (from what I know) but had no trouble moving. Duh.

I’ll vouch for that. They were REAL nice. The buyer of the “Bat Girl” issue showed it to me.  Nicest copy of that one I’ve ever seen...

Edited by Robot Man