• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'll pound you to a "Pulp" if you don't show off yours!
23 23

9,006 posts in this topic

Ooh, and an Eric Frank Russell story too!  I love his novel, Wasp, and have a few of his short story collections in my 'to read' pile.  This story isn't among them, though.

10 hours ago, N e r V said:

Another Egyptian themed cover. Comic or pulp I tend to be attracted to these. :bigsmile:

EC549156-5590-467D-89AA-CFE04247BE24.jpeg.f1ab6c019a46151fc2ed3d987c66093e.jpeg

Wow, yeah, very cool! I too am drawn to anything with an Egyptian theme. I really like Sphinx covers. Standing in front of it as a young man made a lasting impression on me. 

Never seen this one. But, the fun and challenge of pulps is really discovering them then trying to find them. Talk about a challenge...

11 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Wow, yeah, very cool! I too am drawn to anything with an Egyptian theme. I really like Sphinx covers. Standing in front of it as a young man made a lasting impression on me. 

Never seen this one. But, the fun and challenge of pulps is really discovering them then trying to find them. Talk about a challenge...

You might look for this one too. I missed out on it last month so I’m still hunting for one.:pullhair:

50F4D0C7-BFB0-441A-B8DC-79F1AE6E1DD7.jpeg.f626f9da87a98f72eef26cec147c0644.jpeg

3 hours ago, RedFury said:

Mail call!  

Battle Aces, Vol 1 No 1, Oct 1930

Cover art by Don Hewitt

This is the first issue of the title that eventually became the hero pulp G-8 and His Battle Aces.  But first there were 27 issues of Battle Aces before G-8 made his debut.

UAfiXlHh.jpg

I dunno how you do it. These pulps are beyond rare. Wow, just wow!

2 hours ago, Arkadin said:

I dunno how you do it. These pulps are beyond rare. Wow, just wow!

Thanks! I'm just always on the lookout and it occasionally pays off. :wishluck:

Here's the first G-8 and His Battle Aces to go along with it.  They make a nice pair.  I've actually found two of these over the years, but sold the lesser copy a while back.

4vt6WeSh.jpg

On 6/24/2019 at 11:23 PM, OtherEric said:

Posted this over in magazines a couple days ago and thought I would share it here too.  I'm not normally a big Vampirella collector, but I thought my January 1950 Startling Stories needed some company in the collection:

Startling_Stories_1950_01.jpg

Vampirella_68.jpg

pulpthrillingwonderjolsen.jpg

And just the act of opening the book caused two of the issues to fall out.; they weren't as tied in and glued in as well as the others.  I think I'll try unbinding all of them eventually; the books aren't in bad shape other than the spines and small holes where they were tied in.  And even on the two that came out, one has about 2/3 of the spine image and the other still has 1/3; both of them still have some paper the entire length.

30 minutes ago, OtherEric said:

And just the act of opening the book caused two of the issues to fall out.; they weren't as tied in and glued in as well as the others.  I think I'll try unbinding all of them eventually; the books aren't in bad shape other than the spines and small holes where they were tied in.  And even on the two that came out, one has about 2/3 of the spine image and the other still has 1/3; both of them still have some paper the entire length.

Just have to say,I love it!Bound volumes just tickle me,pro or not,someone cared for them enough to try and preserve them in their own way.

2 minutes ago, shiverbones said:

Great cover! Welcome back :)

Thank you!I'll get a lot of looking and reading enjoyment out of it!Feel almost fortunate it's not a comic or I'd likely never have gotten one so affordable.Skull covers and vintage horror prices hurt lol I think my new focus may be on Matt Fox pulp covers while I still can.

9 minutes ago, porcupine48 said:

Just have to say,I love it!Bound volumes just tickle me,pro or not,someone cared for them enough to try and preserve them in their own way.

I agree, it really is pretty awesome.  If it wasn't literally coming apart on its own, I would never have tried to unbind them.  But it is, so I will.  And in its own way, it worked pretty well... the books are in pretty nice condition other than the damage done to bind them.

16 minutes ago, porcupine48 said:

One of my rare ebay pick ups,actually first book I've gotten myself in a while.Great price and service,and what a cover.This is the image from the sale,I'm terrible at getting decent pics up myself,don't do the cell phone thing.

Missed this thread the most on my little hiatus(edit to say yours too Robot Man),so happy to have something to share!Now to scroll back and see all the beauties I've missed out on

!!!!!0.jpg

That really is an astonishing cover.  Far from the only great FFM cover, but it's yet another one that would start at 20x the price if it was on a comic.  Here's another one they did in the "skull or something else" style:

FFM_1952_06.jpg