• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'll pound you to a "Pulp" if you don't show off yours!
23 23

9,006 posts in this topic

Gidday gang!

Still waiting on shipping for my new item to arrive,but a question I'm sure one of you fine folks can maybe help out with?

One of my favourite niche things to collect are Canadian editions of  golden ageish comics and magazines-generally if the price is right I'll pick something up even if it's outside of my normal genre interest.So,scrolling through some Weird Tales on ebay(only place I really know to shop and browse for them)I came across this-Canadian cover variant!? Can anyone give me any info on these?Thought I'd throw this out there.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/WEIRD-TALES-Pulp-Magazine-Nov-1942-CANADIAN-COVER-VARIANT-Lovecraft/153449436102?hash=item23ba4c93c6:g:bycAAOSwYEBcsO3N

18 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Not a pulp but an old crime magazine that Big Ron Murray had at the Torpedo show. I really like these and pick up cool ones like this when I find them for the right price.

6DF20F47-D4C0-48F1-A81D-A0DE843E64B9.jpeg

Cool!There's a head shop nearby that stocks comics and records et all that has had a few of these style mags come in lately and I've lucked into a few Superior Editions.

17 minutes ago, porcupine48 said:

Gidday gang!

Still waiting on shipping for my new item to arrive,but a question I'm sure one of you fine folks can maybe help out with?

One of my favourite niche things to collect are Canadian editions of  golden ageish comics and magazines-generally if the price is right I'll pick something up even if it's outside of my normal genre interest.So,scrolling through some Weird Tales on ebay(only place I really know to shop and browse for them)I came across this-Canadian cover variant!? Can anyone give me any info on these?Thought I'd throw this out there.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/WEIRD-TALES-Pulp-Magazine-Nov-1942-CANADIAN-COVER-VARIANT-Lovecraft/153449436102?hash=item23ba4c93c6:g:bycAAOSwYEBcsO3N

I don't know much about those.  The May 1942 Canadian edition is exceptionally coveted because it's one of only four pulps with a Lovecraft story getting the cover art.  Some of the issues that do use the U.S. artwork are notably edited as the Brundage artwork was  considered too extreme.

On 7/17/2019 at 10:48 AM, porcupine48 said:

Gidday gang!

It seems like Canadian variants for pulps are not uncommon at all.  It also seems that it's completely willy nilly how you determine whether or not one is Canadian.  Some have a different price, some have Canadian edition stamped on the cover, some must only have mention on the title page.

4 hours ago, buttock said:

It seems like Canadian variants for pulps are not uncommon at all.  It also seems that it's completely willy nilly how you determine whether or not one is Canadian.  Some have a different price, some have Canadian edition stamped on the cover, some must only have mention on the title page.

Thanks!Personally I'd only be really interested in the different price or cover.By stamped,do you mean hand stamped or something like Canadian Ed. actually printed on the cover like with Lev Gleason comics?If hand stamped,that'd be great for me as a buyer as it would likely diminish the grade in some eyes and help out my wallet!Most pulps,mags I've found that are Can.Eds. have the Superior seal on the cover with different adverts,it doesn't seem that Bell Features was really in the game.

The whole mention on the title page,do you mean like a printed in Canada,beside where the periodical info. is listed?I have a few oddball comics,like Mysterious Adventures where this occurs where I've compared with other same issues and found they are U.S.A. printings.While this is interesting to me-I should have a conversation with eccomics about it-it's not something I'd seek out.

I know I've put out more questions to your answer,I just really like discussing and learning about this minutiae! I have so much to still learn about comics,so starting to delve into the world of pulps-it's so thrilling and new to me.So fortunate to have folk with large breadths of knowledge and experience on here.