• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'll pound you to a "Pulp" if you don't show off yours!
23 23

9,006 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, detective35 said:

I think some of these went high (for their actual grade).  Key pulps were going to go high because of all the hype in this auction, there’s just no way they weren’t going to.

The Spicy mystery Batman issue is not a rare book.  I’ve had three high-grade copies and 2 mid grade copies.  Obviously you had a couple guys (probably comic guys) where that price seemed cheap compared to Comics, but realistically people that know the market, know that that was about double the high-end value.

A Sharp copy of that should go between $3500-$5000.

The real head shaker were the Yakima planets.  Comic guys are paying crazy money because they’re from the Yakima collection, not because those books are rare.

Anyway it’s good for Glynn, and I am happy for him that they realized the numbers that they did.

Dwight

The Planets were crazy.  Hard to see the logic there.  

23 minutes ago, buttock said:

The Planets were crazy.  Hard to see the logic there.  

Maybe it's just me, but it seems to me that pulps have two prices right now:  Way too high or way too low.  More comic fans are starting to discover the market and way too willing to pay crazy prices because they're thinking about what comparable comics would go for.  But the market is still small enough that unless you get the book in front of the eyes of enough potential buyers, they can go for a song.  I find it hard to believe the right price for a fine or so pulp with supple pages and a Tarzan appearance from 1938 is $10, for example. 

Thanks for the informative posts. I had some pulps way back when but am totally disconnected from where the market is other than what i've seen on Ebay over the last few months. I've bought a few cheap but pretty nice Planets. They are way cheap & cool compared to comics. But I could never pull the trigger like these bidders did, even though i'd love to own any Yakima pulp, just to have one.

@OtherEric, I see dozens and dozens of listings like you described go by with low or no bids, and many really wild pulps priced in the low hundreds that sell sporadically. It sure seems schizophrenic, but I know it wouldn't take much of an uptick in demand to wipe out a couple hundred pulps on Ebay.

40 minutes ago, OtherEric said:

Maybe it's just me, but it seems to me that pulps have two prices right now:  Way too high or way too low.  More comic fans are starting to discover the market and way too willing to pay crazy prices because they're thinking about what comparable comics would go for.  But the market is still small enough that unless you get the book in front of the eyes of enough potential buyers, they can go for a song.  I find it hard to believe the right price for a fine or so pulp with supple pages and a Tarzan appearance from 1938 is $10, for example. 

I think Dwight hit the nail on the head.  Probably crossover from comic guys on the Planets, right when the comic series is crazy hot.  

6 hours ago, Surfing Alien said:

So what's the verdict on the Crain auction pulps? From what little i've learned here and there it seems like the usual deal - some exceptional & rare books  went really high and some trimmed and lesser condition books went similar to what I see on ebay. The Spicy Mystery Batman that went for 9K plus - is that a record for a Spicy Mystery?

Forgive my ignorance.  I know about the Weird Tales Batwoman, but what is the Spicy Mystery Batman?

This Spicy has the words “The Batman” on the cover, that is it .  It is no harder to find than any other Spicy, matter of fact I have found it one of the more common issues (I have owned 3 hi grade copies and 2 mid grade copies).  It has a good cover, but there are many others that have covers as good as this one. Again, for whatever reason, people see the word “The Batman” and it certainly peaks their enthusiasm toward the book.  You can find hi grade copies between $2000-$4000, but once again people probably not familiar with pulps get lured in and pay double the price because the value seems low compared to comics.

20 hours ago, detective35 said:

The real head shaker were the Yakima planets.  Comic guys are paying crazy money because they’re from the Yakima collection, not because those books are rare.

Looks like the rest of the Planets were run up as well. I wonder if it was one bidder trying to keep them together.

Pretty as they were, i'll have to wait for nice non-pedigree copies of the ones I want.

A couple more Argosy's from the box at my LCS; this gives me 3 of the 4 issues from March 1922.  Both of these have parts of "The Chessmen of Mars" by Burroughs.  The 18th is rough but not too bad considering and the 25th is just beautiful in hand.  I have made it clear to the shop owner that I'll keep buying these one or two a week until they're gone at the $10 each he's asking, apparently I'm the only taker so far.

Argosy_1922_03_18.jpg

Argosy_1922_03_25.jpg

4 minutes ago, RedFury said:

Brief update on Pulpfest 2019.  I think there's more people here than last year.  Aisles are crowded and there's activity everywhere.  Got to meet and spend a lot of time with my good buddy Dwight after being CGC boards and phone friends for years.  Sales have been good for me and other dealers I've spoken to.  I've also found some really cool stuff for my collection including a real nice 1st Conan appearance, a random Strasser Top Notch found in a bin, and a variant Canadian cover Weird Tales.  Panels have been really interesting, a retrospective of Fritz Leiber's Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser, and a presentation of a lost Fu-Manchu pilot from 1950.  Oh, and I had dinner with Steranko last night.  :cool:

Here's some shots of my setup.

wNt4aHsh.jpg

tsJMOLUh.jpg

GJSShGfh.jpg

Nice Todd! I could use a solid Amazing Stories 1 with nice paper... hm

The cover to Amazing Stories 1 was just a draft that Frank Paul sent in for review. But Hugo Gernsback was so anxious to get the first issue out, he published (1926) the cover draft instead of waiting for the final version.

I like it anyway. :cloud9:

6 hours ago, sacentaur said:

Nice Todd! I could use a solid Amazing Stories 1 with nice paper... hm

The cover to Amazing Stories 1 was just a draft that Frank Paul sent in for review. But Hugo Gernsback was so anxious to get the first issue out, he published (1926) the cover draft instead of waiting for the final version.

I like it anyway. :cloud9:

Ah, the nicer of the two sold today, and the remaining one the paper isn't nice.  But I'll keep a lookout for you.

Yep, I've heard that, which explains why it lacks detail.  Still looks good though.

That was quite a haul, Dwight!  Some real, real cool books there.  

For those that don't know, that Detective Story Magazine with the giant "13" on the cover is a Canadian variant that used an old Shadow cover.  And even Dwight, the king of the Shadow collectors, didn't know about it!