• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'll pound you to a "Pulp" if you don't show off yours!
23 23

9,006 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, porcupine48 said:

Are those deposit bottles?

I think we'll be able to tell right after the one hits him in the face and leaves an impression.

2 minutes ago, GACollectibles said:

I think we'll be able to tell right after the one hits him in the face and leaves an impression.

I remember on a US visit,with soda,sometimes it's by state,right?So let's hope its in VT,CT,NY :wishluck:

3 hours ago, OtherEric said:

I actually looked for the off register thread to cross post the book there, but I couldn't find it.  My search-fu is weak. (shrug)

I tried and failed as well

But tried again.You've shared enough cool links to me

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/308457-the-out-of-register-run/

Edited by porcupine48

5 hours ago, Surfing Alien said:

Picked up a pretty sharp copy of a Brundage cover Weird Tales... my first Brundage :) Love the artwork.

I've loved Henry Kuttner since I first read "Mutant"  + a CAS 1st Mag appearance and an HPL 1st Mainstream Mag print of The Other Gods.

The colors are nice and no bad chipping or creasing. Right in my wheelhouse.

Still trying to figure out how to deal with unwinding/bending up the overhang and getting a pulp into a proper bag without damage.

Am i wrong in thinking many long time pulp holders aren't as anal as comic guys are about how little corner folds and  dings sit in the bags?

Image (453).jpg

A very nice pick-up.  I'm not a high grade collector, but my general impression is most pulp types recognize a perfect untrimmed edge is, if not a contradiction in terms, a minor miracle.  If the book was issued trimmed, then they're as picky as anybody.  Weird Tales is an oddball with its one trimmed edge and much less rough top and bottom relative to most pulps, so it's probably hard to compare it to anything other than other issues of Weird Tales as to how collectors react.

Then again, give me an unfaded and complete spine on a WT and I'm delighted. B|

Congrats on your first Brundage, by the way.  Be warned they're addictive, a few years ago I was delighted to get one so my collection had an example.  You see my 19th in my last post.  As far as I can tell there are only 79 pulps with her work... 74 covers, one reprint cover, and four books with only interior art.  (Along with 5 that have both covers and interior art.  All 9 issues with interior art are from the 40's.)

3 hours ago, OtherEric said:

A very nice pick-up.  I'm not a high grade collector, but my general impression is most pulp types recognize a perfect untrimmed edge is, if not a contradiction in terms, a minor miracle.  If the book was issued trimmed, then they're as picky as anybody.  Weird Tales is an oddball with its one trimmed edge and much less rough top and bottom relative to most pulps, so it's probably hard to compare it to anything other than other issues of Weird Tales as to how collectors react.

Congrats on your first Brundage, by the way.  Be warned they're addictive, a few years ago I was delighted to get one so my collection had an example.  You see my 19th in my last post.  As far as I can tell there are only 79 pulps with her work... 74 covers, one reprint cover, and four books with only interior art.  (Along with 5 that have both covers and interior art.  All 9 issues with interior art are from the 40's.)

Thanks - you're right about addiction I already have another on the way lol. I am trying to get a few "types" to start, and to fulfill that there'll definitely be a few more Brundage covers involved. They're very elegant figures, softer and more refined than many of the other pulp artists.

I'm less picky about pulp condition than I am about my paperbacks, some are an order of magnitude more expensive and I have to keep my collecting budget to what I can raise by selling other stuff in order to stay married lol. Still looking for nicely presenting copies though, and my pet peeves will be the same - I don't like prominent corner creases. For each thing I look at it's a price/grade weigh-in. This one has some fading on the spine, it's orange not red, but no paper loss anywhere really and the cover & pages are fairly bright so I'm happy. 

This one is definitely not trimmed, but the next one might be. I'll post it for comments - it was pretty nice otherwise and could just be mis-wrapped, i'll know better when it's in hand. The top edge is  very sharp and lower than the pages but the bottom overhangs a lot more than this one and waaay more than the 1932 one I previously picked up (which it's closer in age to). It's a continuing education I gather. 

On 8/29/2019 at 5:58 AM, OtherEric said:

So here's the offender. Great book, great color, but that overhang at the top looks possibly trimmed. I'm not sure...  maybe... it's very even all the way around the wrap. And the bottom overhang is very large... much more than on my others so I think the whole cover may be pasted on lower than my others

Why I really think its not trimmed is that the spine edge top is level with the rest of the spine edge, I'm not sure how you could even trim the spine top  without  digging into the page folios underneath, the paper there looks undisturbed???

I'm going to try to carefully unbend that fold on the bottom edge, hope it doesn't flake away. It looks like it's been folded a loooong time and not much paper left on the fold.

Image (454).jpg

Edited by Surfing Alien
clarity

That one is not trimmed, it's just the cover was attached a little lower than it should have been.  Weird Tales from that era have factory trimmed right edges and small overhang at the top and bottom.  Yours is just shifted towards the bottom, making a larger overhang there.

If the paper is still supple, you can probably unfold that piece at the bottom.  It is a risk, though. :wishluck:

1 hour ago, RedFury said:

That one is not trimmed, it's just the cover was attached a little lower than it should have been.  Weird Tales from that era have factory trimmed right edges and small overhang at the top and bottom.  Yours is just shifted towards the bottom, making a larger overhang there.

If the paper is still supple, you can probably unfold that piece at the bottom.  It is a risk, though. :wishluck:

Thanks, your trimming tutorial in the other thread helped me make the call on this one (thumbsu