• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'll pound you to a "Pulp" if you don't show off yours!
23 23

9,006 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Moe’s Books in Berkeley?

Actually, I'm in the Seattle area.  I make my annual pilgrimage to KAYO when I visit my sister in SF every year.

The store around here that has a selection of pulps is Page Turner Books, in Kent, WA.  Be warned, I've gotten stuff from them faster than they restock the past several years.  But they're the one store around here I know of that I can pretty much guarantee has at least some pulps at any given time.

Is Moe's worth checking out next year when I'm down in the Bay area?  Green Apple in SF normally has at least a few pulps when I'm there.

10 hours ago, N e r V said:

I know of only a couple here in the San Diego area that have some.

We had an area of town here at one time that was known for its bookstores. Many, many grouped together. All kinds of books available including comics and the pulps. As people go less to bookstores these have all but died out here. I want to say it was at its peak thru the 1990’s with one of the last closing it’s doors recently after over 50 years. 

It was a place where you could pick up low or high grade stuff. A great number of my super high grade books by Ace or Phillip K. or whoever were purchased from these stores over time. So how great could it be? Well I know of 2 copies of the All Story first Tarzan pulp that Rick just posted coming out of those stores. Another friend bought a near complete run of Weird Tales there including all the early issues. Thanks in part to some talks with Robert Weinberg I started actively going after the Conan and Brundage covers. Around 1996 or 1997 when The Whole Wide World was released there were some fantastic high grade Weird Tales in one of the stores for at that time next to nothing

Pulps have not attained the comic book pricing run up since then but when you see stuff in the $500.-$1000+. range today I remember passing on some of that high grade stuff at $50. a book thinking it was to much when offered at a used book store.

Sorry for the long post but the posters above reminded me how much easier it was at one time to buy pulps locally...O.o

I think a few years ago pulps were really at a low point.  For which I am grateful, I've got some pulps I NEVER expected to get my hands on.  Which even back in the 80's were going for more than what I paid for, even adjusted for inflation.

They're definitely inching back up again, but lots of bargains still to be had.

10 hours ago, N e r V said:

That was Phillip K. D ick above. Censorship..:censored:

I really do understand the use of censorbots on a board like this, even if I don't like them.  They really should whitelist a particular term, if for no other reason than we have PKD, Richard Tracy, and D. Giordano, as the first three that come to mind, to legitimately discuss here.

New York City back in the 70’s & 80’s was filled with more 2nd hand bookstores/thrift shops/flea markets than I could imagine existed anywhere else in the country. I mostly collected comics as a teen and went for old Sci fi & JD later. I picked up a few pulps here and there. You never saw them as much as comics & books but nobody seemed focused on them back then either. They were pretty cheap.

The best one I picked up (for a song) was Private Detective #1 with a great Ward bondage cover. I sold it on ebay at some point in the early ebay days because one day I noticed the paper was deteriorating due to being stored in the closet in my apartment in a non-central AC building. I wish I still had it but I knew I had to sell it or it was going to get bad. Hopefully it went somewhere where it wouldn’t disintegrate. The cover was like new. I don’t think I still have a pic but if I find it I’ll post it, it’s a great cover. I'm afraid those old bookstore days are gone though.

18 hours ago, BitterOldMan said:

Last year, Moe’s in Berkeley picked up a nice collection of Weird Tales. I picked up the Hour of the Dragon, since I am a REH fan.  When I went back, many of the good ones were gone.

E77C4825-289C-4D5E-A1A9-365BB789D538.jpeg

If you go to Kayo, call ahead of time to ensure Maria is at the shop.  I was there yesterday and picked up a rare underground comic book by William Stout.

Nice!  On my annual KAYO trip a few months ago, I got a couple Weird Tales, 7 or 8 assorted undergrounds, and the Ace Double Junkie/ Narcotic Agent.  I can't even claim that one was a grail... it was just listed as "I'll never, ever see a copy, much less afford one."

Kayo is awesome.

42 minutes ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

Been looking to pick up one of these and glad to get it done tonight.  

76A7D1AC-5778-4D0E-80B5-C42EB1D0C459.jpeg

So for some people the 1912 All Story is a grail (rightly so) but for me the first Conan appearance in print is by far the more interesting book to own. Great couple of grails to get so close together.

Hope they hang around a bit for you...

Prices in the Yakimas’s were ridiculous as some of them are only FN and fine/very fine.

Someone recently asked me if the Yakima collection was like the mile high collection and I smiled and said NO,  that would definitely be the Strasser collection (and I’m someone that has 40 shadows from the Yakima collection).

Edited by detective35DF

Maybe it’s just what I was looking at but some of the prices in this auction seemed unusually high in Heritage. I posted in the magazine thread about the CGC 9.0 copy of Eerie #23 that sold for $625.00 when another CGC 9.0 copy just sold for $260.00 in May. A single bump in PQ was all the difference in the two. 

I spoke with a few friends and a boardie here that all warned me the Yakima’s were all going well above market. 

I guess I’ll see if this is some turn in the market for some of this stuff or just one of those isolated auctions where it’s great to be a seller...hm

2 hours ago, detective35 said:

Prices in the Yakimas’s were ridiculous as some of them are only FN and fine/very fine.

Someone recently asked me if the Yakima collection was like the mile high collection and I smiled and said NO,  that would definitely be the Strasser collection (and I’m someone that has 40 shadows from the Yakima collection).

Any word on that Strasser pedigree back story???