• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'll pound you to a "Pulp" if you don't show off yours!
23 23

9,006 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, N e r V said:

Maybe it’s just what I was looking at but some of the prices in this auction seemed unusually high in Heritage. I posted in the magazine thread about the CGC 9.0 copy of Eerie #23 that sold for $625.00 when another CGC 9.0 copy just sold for $260.00 in May. A single bump in PQ was all the difference in the two. 

I spoke with a few friends and a boardie here that all warned me the Yakima’s were all going well above market. 

I guess I’ll see if this is some turn in the market for some of this stuff or just one of those isolated auctions where it’s great to be a seller...hm

Pedigree fever. As has been said, as nice as Yakimas are, they aren’t all the same uniform high grade like the Church books are. People love pedigrees and there are very few pulp ones I can think of.

Yes, pulps have been gaining some steam lately. Compared to comics, pulps are a real bargain. Comics are VERY cover driven. There are more pulps with better covers than comics. The argument I get is that pulps are just text inside as apposed to illustrations. But when a comic is slabbed, it becomes the same as a pulp. So I still say: “If it were a comic book what would it be worth?”. 

Seems some are getting wise to this...

2 hours ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

I’ve got a few Spicy going here that someday I will get around to taking pics of but here are a few from yesterday I picked up, relatively cheap.  

I think Spicy Detective is my favorite of the series of pulps. 

9E9C297D-55D2-4DBF-A0C4-7922B7C8A5E7.jpeg

D8F9D608-B304-4E40-B410-FDEEE734415C.jpeg

6E7A0BE1-05CF-449F-9ACA-2A1DD2DDD04B.jpeg

Pretty shocking if you ask me to see Rick buying these type of books...:nyah:

The real difference is the mile high’s started  right from the very beginning with all the key books, the  Yakima’s basically started with the main bulk of the group late 1938 and up, which Certainly is far from the most significant era of the pulps, as any pulp collector knows.

Michael Naimen really has no idea about pulps,  he was in the comic field And I knew him well when I was buying golden age.

He probably had this article Sent to him, I suspect for promotion.

Don’t get me wrong I really like the Yakima’s, And I have about 60 of them in my collection, but they were really hyped for the purpose of making a lot of money and taking advantage of comic guys who wanted to jump into the pulp field for speculation.

At some point I will when I have time explain the background of the Strasser collection!

I have explained it on these forms before but I can’t remember where.

1 hour ago, detective35 said:

The real difference is the mile high’s started  right from the very beginning with all the key books, the  Yakima’s basically started with the main bulk of the group late 1938 and up, which Certainly is far from the most significant era of the pulps, as any pulp collector knows.

Michael Naimen really has no idea about pulps,  he was in the comic field And I knew him well when I was buying golden age.

He probably had this article Sent to him, I suspect for promotion.

Don’t get me wrong I really like the Yakima’s, And I have about 60 of them in my collection, but they were really hyped for the purpose of making a lot of money and taking advantage of comic guys who wanted to jump into the pulp field for speculation.

At some point I will when I have time explain the background of the Strasser collection!

I have explained it on these forms before but I can’t remember where.

Totally down for this if you do it.

Also weren’t you here years before what it’s showing  as your join date or are you a new detective35???

Edited by N e r V

2 hours ago, detective35 said:

The Yakimas are akin to the Vancouver Pedigree -- unbeliveibably white but a few years later than the era of the most significant pulps.

13 hours ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

Finally had every golden age book I wanted pass through my fingers so now let’s do every pulp I like. :)

Having fun so far. Want to find some time to break them open more and read some.  

I will never have every GA book I want. Pulps are just a “supplement” and always will be.

52 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

I will never have every GA book I want. Pulps are just a “supplement” and always will be.

Well, I hear ya. Sure, I would like some of the ones I didn’t have and am still looking for new ones, but I got all the ones I targeted.   

Definitely enjoying pulps so far too. My favorite thing about this hobby is all the highways, streets and back alleys you can explore. 

8 minutes ago, Surfing Alien said:

Picked up another cool Weird Tales. Brundage cover, H.P. Lovercraft writing as Hazel Heald & a Clark Ashton Smith novelette, among others.

There's a spine split and about 1/4" missing from the spine bottom, which may offend perfect spine seekers but the colors on this were so deep, no creasing and nice paper. The more I look around the more I appreciate deep colors on these, so many pulps have faded out colors and paper flaking away. A perfect spine would be nice but I think i'll take some imperfections there over flaky, faded paper.

Image (460).jpg

A beautiful looking book with a great Brundage cover!  The inks still look fresh.  I always found pulp collectors' obsessions with spine condition to be a bit quirky.  A lot of hard core pulp collectors will eschew an attractively presenting book with a moderately damaged spine.  I realize that fragile spines and poor paper quality are characteristic of pulps, and a premium is paid on books without those defects, but I feel like a lot of pulp collectors take it to the extreme. 

2 hours ago, davet75 said:

A beautiful looking book with a great Brundage cover!  The inks still look fresh.  I always found pulp collectors' obsessions with spine condition to be a bit quirky.  A lot of hard core pulp collectors will eschew an attractively presenting book with a moderately damaged spine.  I realize that fragile spines and poor paper quality are characteristic of pulps, and a premium is paid on books without those defects, but I feel like a lot of pulp collectors take it to the extreme. 

I think a lot of the reason is that, for most of their history, pulp collectors were buying the books to read.  There are literally thousands of stories by major writers that STILL have never been collected and are only available in the original magazines.  And page quality on a pulp is, in my experience, more likely to be brittle than a comic, and easier to damage with the square binding.  I can safely read all but the brittlest comic at least once.  Not so with some of the worst pulps.

Spines, it's more of a case that they're often the first thing to get damaged on a pulp, so are the hardest thing to find in nice shape.  Also, a lot were shelved like books, so the covers are fine but the spines caught the sun, damaging them more severely.