• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'll pound you to a "Pulp" if you don't show off yours!
23 23

9,038 posts in this topic

18 hours ago, OtherEric said:

Spines, it's more of a case that they're often the first thing to get damaged on a pulp, so are the hardest thing to find in nice shape.  Also, a lot were shelved like books, so the covers are fine but the spines caught the sun, damaging them more severely.

This may be one of those - i'd say it's like a CGC qualified comic grade. Everything about it looks near high grade, but the spine is a bit orange and somewhere along the way the spine bottom got rubbed and the paper there was weaker so it tore. Perfect for me though because I paid nowhere near what a very high grade one costs and it still looks great and is readable.

BTW, I use a large 4 mil mylar folded sheet to read these. Anyone else do that? The book just lays in there and you don't have to touch the spine or cover to turn the pages.

Hi,

Began collecting Comics in the 1960's and Pulps in the late 1970's.  I am so impressed with the collections you folks have put together and are nice enough to share with everyone.  RedFury and a number of other contributors have posted some outstanding books.  I mainly collect Weird Tales and Sci Fi but have a number of books in other genres as well.  I hope to post some of my books shortly.  Still working on being technology savy.

Thanks

Steve

21 hours ago, ArkhamCastle said:

Hi,

Began collecting Comics in the 1960's and Pulps in the late 1970's.  I am so impressed with the collections you folks have put together and are nice enough to share with everyone.  RedFury and a number of other contributors have posted some outstanding books.  I mainly collect Weird Tales and Sci Fi but have a number of books in other genres as well.  I hope to post some of my books shortly.  Still working on being technology savy.

Thanks

Steve

Welcome, Steve!  I'm glad you like our posts.  We're a small but mighty group of pulp collectors.  :)  Looking forward to seeing your contributions.

Todd

22 hours ago, ArkhamCastle said:

Hi,

Thanks

Steve

Bring ‘em on Steve. We all love pulps in any grade and any title here. Welcome to the boards!

2 hours ago, RedFury said:

Husbands, Vol 1 No 1, Jan 1936

New oddball romance book for my collection.  :luhv:  lol

OaKWepxh.jpg

One for the ladies. Almost reads "Serial Husband Hunter" lol They should've hooked these gals up with Weird tales readers - the back pages of Weird Tales are so filled with lonelyhearts ads... it might lead you to believe the readership base was a loserpalooza 

On 9/14/2019 at 1:38 PM, OtherEric said:

Also, a lot were shelved like books,

And maybe still are. As someone guilty of focusing on the spine, I would say my main reason is because I want that blood red shelf of Weird Tales and the crisp white row of early Astounding. I didn't care at first, but once you add a nice spine to a row, it really draws attention to the ones that aren't. I have issues that probably grade near Fine, but look like Good when on the shelf, and vice versa. I'm guessing most comics aren't really collected in that way.

29 minutes ago, htp said:

And maybe still are. As someone guilty of focusing on the spine, I would say my main reason is because I want that blood red shelf of Weird Tales and the crisp white row of early Astounding. I didn't care at first, but once you add a nice spine to a row, it really draws attention to the ones that aren't. I have issues that probably grade near Fine, but look like Good when on the shelf, and vice versa. I'm guessing most comics aren't really collected in that way.

Yeah, the faded Weird Tales spines just look WRONG next to the nice ones.  But there are some issues that I just couldn't afford otherwise.

On 9/16/2019 at 10:51 AM, RedFury said:

Husbands, Vol 1 No 1, Jan 1936

New oddball romance book for my collection.  :luhv:  lol

OaKWepxh.jpg

Great pick-up! I wanted one of these forever, after seeing it in the Goodstone book decades ago. Never have seen one in person.

The treatment of a husband as a commodity is nigh-hilarious. I know I feel objectified!!!  (:

1 hour ago, waaaghboss said:

How can you tell if your pulp is an original?  I've seen a few different reprints for one of mine online, and they look close.  Do the reprints have the same cover overhang, or are there other identifying marks?

Which one?  Most of the reprint pulps I've seen are pretty self evident, but I don't have that many.

3 hours ago, OtherEric said:
5 hours ago, waaaghboss said:

How can you tell if your pulp is an original?  I've seen a few different reprints for one of mine online, and they look close.  Do the reprints have the same cover overhang, or are there other identifying marks?

Which one?  Most of the reprint pulps I've seen are pretty self evident, but I don't have that many.

Right, the reprints and replicas have a much different cover stock than the originals as well as the paper though I guess only seeing them online would make it harder to differentiate at first glance but in hand, it's pretty clear. And, no, none of the replicas I know have any overhang.

8 hours ago, OtherEric said:

Saucy Movie Tales December.  The cover just is a bit off, no gloss and kind of wavy.  Different than my other pulps.  But it does have overhang.  I'm almost thinking that someone tried to clean it 😆

I have seen some frankenbooks. Original pulp interior with photocopy covers. Heck, Adventure House sold quite a few of those over the years (all above board of course, duly noted and all). I have a Spider like that, original pages and xerox cover with overhang! But in my mind, that's not a replica so I should have been more careful answering. Yet, it's still pretty evident that it's a frankenbook.