• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'll pound you to a "Pulp" if you don't show off yours!
23 23

9,096 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, RedFury said:

"Gretta" is Joseph Clemens Gretter.

Cool. I had never heard of him but he worked on early DC's including New Fun #1 among other things...

https://indianaillustrators.blogspot.com/2011/11/joseph-clemens-gretter-1904-1988.html

"In 1935, a former cavalryman and pulp fiction writer named Major Malcolm Wheeler-Nicholson put together a 36-page, black-and-white, tabloid-sized comic book called New Fun Comics, the first comic book made up of all original material and the second newsstand comic book ever published. New Fun Comics #1 (Feb. 1935) marked several other firsts as well, including the first original science fiction feature for a comic book, "Don Drake on the Planet Saro." The author was Ken Fitch, the artist, Clemens Gretter. "Don Drake," probably inspired by Flash Gordon and Brick Bradford, ran in seventeen issues of New Fun and its successor, More Fun Comics, and even made the cover spot in April 1935. Gretter worked in comic books for many more years. His last known credited work showed up in Fatman, The Human Flying Saucer in 1967."

Edited by Surfing Alien
change

1 hour ago, Surfing Alien said:

The 1st issue of Private Detective Stories was one of the first pulps I ever had many years ago. I sold my copy because I didn't have proper storage conditions for it and it was browning badly. Saw a chance to get a copy again so I took it. Great Ward Hatchet Murderer cover...

Image (513).jpg

Great H.J. Ward cover!  You can rarely go wrong with him!