• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'll pound you to a "Pulp" if you don't show off yours!
23 23

9,111 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, OtherEric said:

I think we all fell in love with certain covers from the Steranko history.  That's one I would love to get some day as well.

I wanted to read the Purple Invasion in Operator #5 so much after Steranko described it, took me years to find.

And, of course, the picture of this cover made me want one instantly:

Amazing_Stories_1928_August.jpg

The first Buck is absolutely one of my favorite all time pulps that I own (even though that’s not him on the cover). That full b&w cover in Steranko’s book for sure hooked me. I think I own 2-3 copies of it still and would probably add another if pushed. That’s probably one of the purest of the early science fiction pulp covers done. Never get tired of that one...

On 1/9/2020 at 5:49 PM, OtherEric said:

I think we all fell in love with certain covers from the Steranko history.  That's one I would love to get some day as well.

I wanted to read the Purple Invasion in Operator #5 so much after Steranko described it, took me years to find.

And, of course, the picture of this cover made me want one instantly:

Amazing_Stories_1928_August.jpg

It's arguable (especially from a science fiction perspective) that this book is more important for the first appearance of E.E. Smith's Skylark of Space than it is for Buck Rogers. hm

Edited by RedFury

5 hours ago, RedFury said:

It's arguable (especially from a science fiction perspective) that this book is more important for the first appearance of E.E. Smith's Skylark of Space than it is for Buck Rogers. hm

It's not really even an argument, if you're talking about SF as an art form.  Issac Asimov described it as one of the three times where a SF writer burst on the scene with a story that was so far above everything else being currently done that everything that followed had to respond to it in some way.  (The other authors were Stanley Weinbaum and Robert Heinlein.)  And the Buck Rogers story, taken by itself, wasn't that influential... it was the comic strip that was developed based on the story that really had the impact.  But Buck Rogers is the one people know, because of the comic strip and later spinoffs of that.

The book has one heck of a one-two punch, that's for sure.  It seems to me like it's the pulp equivalent of More Fun Comics #73.

Not much argument if you're coming from the old-school Campbell-centric view of SF history. But such formulations tend to be exclusionary, and as time goes on the number of entertaining and influential 'outliers' grows. As for Doc Smith on his own terms, I'd suggest that Edmond Hamilton's 'Interstellar Patrol' stories that started around the same time in Weird Tales were also seminal in development of the modern space opera, and that his working in the shorter forms (novelettes, novellas, etc as opposed to multivolume epics) spoke to the market in compelling ways.

img350.jpg

1 hour ago, Pat Calhoun said:

Not much argument if you're coming from the old-school Campbell-centric view of SF history. But such formulations tend to be exclusionary, and as time goes on the number of entertaining and influential 'outliers' grows. As for Doc Smith on his own terms, I'd suggest that Edmond Hamilton's 'Interstellar Patrol' stories that started around the same time in Weird Tales were also seminal in development of the modern space opera, and that his working in the shorter forms (novelettes, novellas, etc as opposed to multivolume epics) spoke to the market in compelling ways.

img350.jpg

Hamilton is vastly underrated these days.  I think he was the only author on a Hero pulp (Captain Future) who was allowed to use his own name, and I'll always be a fan of his work on the Legion of Super-Heroes.

You're quite right that most views of SF history tend to be Campbell-centric; I think that's unlikely to change completely but we are starting to look at that more critically these days.

5 minutes ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

Pretty cool Canadian slightly over-sized pulp magazines courtesy of a certain boardie(thumbsu

B72BA03F-6997-4EB5-8FFF-25757EFF421F.jpeg

Emo Mozart

4 hours ago, Pat Calhoun said:

img350.jpg

20 hours ago, RedFury said:

15 hours ago, OtherEric said:

It's not really even an argument, if you're talking about SF as an art form.  Issac Asimov described it as one of the three times where a SF writer burst on the scene with a story that was so far above everything else being currently done that everything that followed had to respond to it in some way.  (The other authors were Stanley Weinbaum and Robert Heinlein.)  And the Buck Rogers story, taken by itself, wasn't that influential... it was the comic strip that was developed based on the story that really had the impact.  But Buck Rogers is the one people know, because of the comic strip and later spinoffs of that.

The book has one heck of a one-two punch, that's for sure.  It seems to me like it's the pulp equivalent of More Fun Comics #73.

Hey the content certainly adds to the luster but my first childhood impression was how freakin’ cool is that retro (by my time) Frank Paul cover of a guy flying!!

I’m pretty sure this book was my entry way into Paul’s work and I never turned back. Probably why Marvel Comics #1 was for me a more fun book to own than even my Detective #27...

Paul and Brundage are my king and queen of pulp art...:banana:

9 minutes ago, N e r V said:

Hey the content certainly adds to the luster but my first childhood impression was how freakin’ cool is that retro (by my time) Frank Paul cover of a guy flying!!

I’m pretty sure this book was my entry way into Paul’s work and I never turned back. Probably why Marvel Comics #1 was for me a more fun book to own than even my Detective #27...

Paul and Brundage are my king and queen of pulp art...:banana:

I would give Finlay the crown over Paul, but I certainly respect your position. (thumbsu

25 minutes ago, AJLewandoski said:

I found this golden age Marvel beauty at an antique mall this weekend just as it was being stocked. The owner of the booth immediately offered me half off, so I couldn't say no for $10. Those headlights, that spaceship, and the condition, it kind of has it all. A lot of interesting stories, but the most intriguing was the special feature on the cover of L Ron Hubbard and others arguing the pros and cons of his Dianetics book. The whole mythos of Scientology is just crazy, but to have first hand insight from the very birth of it is really eye opening.

20200111_180437.jpg

Nice score.L Ron Hubbard pulps are quite sought after. Especially on this subject.