• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'll pound you to a "Pulp" if you don't show off yours!
23 23

9,006 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Robot Man said:

Beautiful Rick! That stuff is just so hard to find. I remember being in NY many years ago and going over to Robert Lessor’s apt to see his amazing collection of original pulp cover paintings. They were amazing in person!

Yeah, I think it is my new favorite thing in my collection. :x

7 minutes ago, N e r V said:

FB956936-0FA9-435B-9659-C586AFBD0ACC.jpeg.1b87094a95c5de79444a18f2425d90b2.jpeg

or if you don’t want to read your originals like me here’s an ebook I believe that is complete...

https://www.gutenberg.org/files/32759/32759-h/32759-h.htm

(the first cover with the women is one of my favorite Brundage covers she did for WT’s)

I’ve got the first two parts,  I still need to track down the third.

I haven't read a Conan story in 45 years. I devoured them when I was a youngster, and far preferred them to the tedium of the LOTR trilogy, which I never finished. Seeing that Red Nails page has got me thinking it may be time for a rereading. I wonder if they still hold up. 

59 minutes ago, rjpb said:

I haven't read a Conan story in 45 years. I devoured them when I was a youngster, and far preferred them to the tedium of the LOTR trilogy, which I never finished. Seeing that Red Nails page has got me thinking it may be time for a rereading. I wonder if they still hold up. 

Howard:Tolkien as Bill Nye:Einstein

it's never too late to correct the foolish mistakes of our youth!  :baiting:

On 1/23/2020 at 11:59 PM, rjpb said:

Pick up the illustrated Wandering Star Editions….. Mark Schultz and more.... as for the stories, I hadn't read them since the mid 70's …when I read them again a couple of years ago, it was like I had never read them at all. My understanding and appreciation for literature had grown by leaps and bounds since the 70's.... a re-reading of the collected HP Lovecraft was equally mind blowing.... GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

In today.  Not a title I care about in general... but depending on exactly when this replaced the May issue on the stands, this is one of only two or three pulps on the stands in my lifetime.  It's the next to last issue of the last of the original pulps, although revivals have occasionally brought back the format, starting with a quartet of Weird Tales in 1973.

A very neat and personal connection for me to my collection of pulps... I like the idea that, even in such a small manner, they held on until I was in the world as well.

RR_1971-08.jpg

2 hours ago, Surfing Alien said:

A couple cool pickups... A bizarre Frank Paul bare breasted babe SciFi cover & my first Operator #5. It's very intriguing how the stories pre-suppose Axis victories and Allied resistance.

20200127_003753.jpg

20200127_003706.jpg

I really do need to finish off my Operator #5 run one of these years.  I only need 10 issues to go.

1 minute ago, detective35 said:

Here is a picture of the pulp to go along with the shirt.

0E115F4E-98FE-4944-BCFA-5C11161495C4.jpeg

Thanks - great copy!  Although, I gotta say it's a bit odd when you look down at the shirt when wearing it that she's looking up at you.  However I love it!  My friends got a kick out of it too.  :D 

5 hours ago, OtherEric said:

That is a stunningly beautiful bookshelf.  I feel genuinely privileged to have a few of the undercopies from that collection.

My only Stanton & Lee item, which I may have shown here before.  It was tucked inside the cover of an issue of the Arkham Sampler when I bought my set:

Arkham_Sampler_a.jpg

Arkham_Sampler_b.jpg

Thank you!  I'm sure I'll have more for you if you like, I keep upgrading!

That's a cool piece of Arkham history!  I read that Derleth named the Stanton & Lee imprint after two of his friends, one of whom worked at Arkham House.  I guess it was John Stanton.

21 hours ago, RedFury said:

I spent some time this weekend re-organizing my Arkham House collection, mostly filing new additions, and thought I'd share some group photos of the collection as it stands today.  Lots of great pulp reading between these covers!

Sorted by publication order, with the two additional Arkham House imprints (Mycroft & Moran, and Stanton & Lee) at the end.  Not pictured: the 8 issues of Arkham Sampler, which I file with my pulps since they're in a similar format.

m9UWmhZh.jpg

If you like Arkham House and similar specialty publishers like Shasta Publishers, Fantasy Press, Gnome Press, Fantasy Publishing (FPCI) and Prime Press, I have a Facebook group for collectors to share pictures and stories.

Link to Facebook group: Collecting Weird, Sci-Fi, & Fantasy Specialty Publishers