• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'll pound you to a "Pulp" if you don't show off yours!
23 23

9,006 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, RedFury said:

Great pick-ups!  I love that May 1952 issue of Weird Tales not only for the fantastic Finlay cover, but also for the really cool and unusual green spine!

k9EOqLdh.jpg

Most people seeing that would probably be "green spine?  What's the big deal?".  Meanwhile, I'm busy trying to reset my jaw after I popped it because it dropped so hard when I saw that.

I would bet it's impossible to convey how WEIRD that looks to somebody who doesn't already know how weird that looks...

3 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Wow, that bottom cover is off the hook!

Yes, very cool & unusual. Peter Kuhlhoff, who only has a few credited works on isfdb, but includes 3 Weird Tales covers in this period. The story is cool too, I read it last night. There's something magic about reading them in this original format.

5 hours ago, detective35 said:

Just thought I’d post a picture of a stunning copy of WEIRD TALES - December 1932, that I just acquired on a trade!  Colours just jump off the page.   The wave in the book was simply me laying it on top of a backing board that was curved and wavy.

7BBD615D-F730-4C1C-A201-D258995C2679.jpeg

E1A5B929-15B0-4759-AA39-13B46C4CFD64.jpeg

Congrats!  Great book!  I'm already looking for books to trade to you!  lol

20 hours ago, Surfing Alien said:

Yes, very cool & unusual. Peter Kuhlhoff, who only has a few credited works on isfdb, but includes 3 Weird Tales covers in this period. The story is cool too, I read it last night. There's something magic about reading them in this original format.

Yeah, reading on a computer or a reprint just isn’t the same. What month and year is that one? I would love to pick one up. 

Can a pulp be pressed?

At CalComicCon last weekend, a seller had a pretty nice copy of Weird Tales 12/32 (1st Conan) that we were looking at; it had multiple finger bends on the front cover. Someone else mentioned a press would help, but no one knew if a thick pulp like that could be pressed?

54 minutes ago, sacentaur said:

Can a pulp be pressed?

At CalComicCon last weekend, a seller had a pretty nice copy of Weird Tales 12/32 (1st Conan) that we were looking at; it had multiple finger bends on the front cover. Someone else mentioned a press would help, but no one knew if a thick pulp like that could be pressed?

I think it can and would certainly help the front and back covers with issues like that, but I wonder if there's a danger of the square-bound spine being crushed?  Does anyone know how square-bound comics fare under the press?

1 hour ago, sacentaur said:

Can a pulp be pressed?

"A seller"........Wonder who that was.......:taptaptap: 

Anyways, couple things have to be considered with pressing a pulp:  The interior is stapled like a square-bound Silver age comic and then the cover glued on at the spine.  Pressing would be difficult to not let the staple leave an indentation in the cover, and heat could cause the glue along the spine to liquefy possibly.  That's why I thought someone like Matt Nelson might have an answer as to if it could be done. 

1 hour ago, Forbush-Man said:

"A seller"........Wonder who that was.......:taptaptap: 

Anyways, couple things have to be considered with pressing a pulp:  The interior is stapled like a square-bound Silver age comic and then the cover glued on at the spine.  Pressing would be difficult to not let the staple leave an indentation in the cover, and heat could cause the glue along the spine to liquefy possibly.  That's why I thought someone like Matt Nelson might have an answer as to if it could be done. 

Personally, I would leave it be for the reasons Bob mentioned above. Or at least try it out on a few cheap ones first. Also pulp paper is a bit more acidic than comic paper. Heat wouldn’t do it any favors.