• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'll pound you to a "Pulp" if you don't show off yours!
23 23

9,038 posts in this topic

14 minutes ago, sacentaur said:

Wrapping up then, it’s been a good week for collecting pulps... a very good week. :smile:

DEEC1687-8628-402F-B11F-2021BC81EF15.jpeg

Yes indeed! I second that motion. Can't believe how lucky were were to have it last week. If it were tomorrow, it would have been canceled. Looks like I will have to savor it for a few months...:sorry:

1 minute ago, Robot Man said:

Yes indeed! I second that motion. Can't believe how lucky were were to have it last week. If it were tomorrow, it would have been canceled. Looks like I will have to savor it for a few months...:sorry:

You were indeed lucky.  While I fully understand WHY it's like it is, there is a part of me deeply frustrated to be sitting home when I should be at ECCC.

Oh, well, it freed up some cash for other stuff.  Including a box of coverless books I just got a few minutes ago...

32 minutes ago, Pat Calhoun said:

has a 1948 EE Smith copyright as well as 1933-1934 Teck so probably is the rewritten...

0triplc.jpg

It is the reworking, I’ll have to read them both to compare - thanks!

2 hours ago, OtherEric said:

You were indeed lucky.  While I fully understand WHY it's like it is, there is a part of me deeply frustrated to be sitting home when I should be at ECCC.

Oh, well, it freed up some cash for other stuff.  Including a box of coverless books I just got a few minutes ago...

I do feel lucky. This is real weird here. Very little traffic on the roads (except at grocery stores). I should be packing for the flea market tomorrow but that's not happening. Nor will it until May if I'm lucky. I'm used to going to one every weekend. All canceled. Comic show next weekend that surprisingly hasn't been officially canceled. Not going anyway. Probably no one will show up anyway. At least I got a lot to read and do. As long as we have electricity and the internet we can stay in touch with humanity. Strange Days fellows...

18 minutes ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

I really like these Super Science Stories

D6EB8FD0-04D5-4C56-BE66-D6A02B2ED5F2.jpeg

I have most of the latter run along with a few of the earlier run; I'm fond of the title.  Although, at least in the latter run, they tended to get the stories writers couldn't sell elsewhere... not bad stuff, but with a few exceptions most of the stories are lesser works.  Lots of John D. MacDonald stories, though, and a couple of classic Bradbury pieces.  (I heard somewhere that Bradbury gave them an earlier chance at some stories despite their lower rates because they published his very first pro story back in the day; not sure how accurate that is.)

4 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Was happy to get this one last Sunday. I bought it for the cover. Really reminds me of an EC cover. A real Wood like alien. It didn’t hurt than someone wrote his name on it..,

CEF28CFF-CDB2-41AA-B187-A75E0D921EED.jpeg

I love how the end of his signature points to his name on the cover!

In addition to the story by John D. MacDonald mentioned on the cover, this one also has a story by John Wade Farrell (better known as John D. MacDonald) and a story by Peter Reed (better known as John D. MacDonald).  I'm pretty sure the Peter Reed pseudonym was used by others, just not in the SF books; not sure if Farrell was exclusive to JDM or not.

21 hours ago, sacentaur said:

So I added two more issues of Amazing Stories to the 1/34 issue that I previously posted. Covers by Leo Morey who drafted the classic Centaur ‘Fantom of the Fair’ cover for Amazing Mystery Funnies 2/10.

I’m especially interested in the Triplanetary series here because “Doc” Smith later re-worked it as a Lensman prequel. Good stuff.

79CE1C98-D9A9-4FA8-91C5-30C84B358683.jpeg

Very cool title font/lettering.  I think I collect pulps for the wrong reasons.... :smile: