• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'll pound you to a "Pulp" if you don't show off yours!
23 23

9,006 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, Pat Calhoun said:

it made me grab my 1932 hardback 'Mask of Fu Manchu' off the shelf as I remembered it had 3 2-page spreads and a 1-page frontispiece.

0maskfu.jpg

Great! I had no idea that the Flanagan illustrations from Collier's were reprinted in the hardcovers. 

13 hours ago, detective35 said:

obviously if the restoration is actually identified and disclosed, then the buyer is free to make that choice.

I've already found mixed results with disclosure re: color touch and in those couple of cases I had to make a decision about whether to make a stink about it based on what I paid and whether I could get an unmarked copy on similar terms. 

It really is like the pre-grading company days in comics and it seems like quite a few pulps have color touch and it's not always disclosed. I don't mind making decisions off what I can see, like ragged (or even trimmed) edges and tape, but color touch, even amateur, can be hard to spot on an internet picture.

I haven’t bought too much off of eBay with color touch.  That’s always the risk buying off eBay in anything you buy.  As much as you can, try to buy from reputable people.

If somebody comes out with a small group of books and if a couple books are colour touched, especially from the same title, then beware.  Good sellers that are tight graders could miss a dot of colour touch, so just bring it to their attention and most the time the work with you either on a full refund or a price adjustment.  That’s totally up to the buyer and what is acceptable to them.

Again, sometimes sellers don’t even realize it themselves especially if it was done fairly well.  When in doubt ask to see the inside front and back covers for bleed-through.
 In my experience, most of the time it wasn’t professional colour touch being done, it was with a marker and there will be bleed -through.  

7 hours ago, detective35 said:

In my experience, most of the time it wasn’t professional colour touch being done, it was with a marker and there will be bleed -through

This... it was amateur each time for me. I suspect that, like buying comics in the 70's before the stigma of restoration arose, collectors thought little of hitting a white crease with a marker to make it look better in a bag.

58 minutes ago, Surfing Alien said:

This... it was amateur each time for me. I suspect that, like buying comics in the 70's before the stigma of restoration arose, collectors thought little of hitting a white crease with a marker to make it look better in a bag.

It wasn't always done with resale in mind either …. some folks did it just to make their own books look better. I knew a guy who used his wife's eye make-up … he said it could be easily removed if necessary.... the halcyon days of youth I suppose lol. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

19 hours ago, jimjum12 said:

It wasn't always done with resale in mind either …. some folks did it just to make their own books look better. I knew a guy who used his wife's eye make-up … he said it could be easily removed if necessary.... the halcyon days of youth I suppose lol. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

There was a time when the professional restoration was respected and in my opinion a good thing to preserve books. Comic collectors probably should reconsider their stance on the concept of having pro work done since it exists and is accepted in the book and art fields. 

Mostly it was the greedy dealers/collectors who did resto. work and tried to “trick” buyers into paying for something more than what the book was that hurt resto. works image.

Edited by N e r V