• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'll pound you to a "Pulp" if you don't show off yours!
23 23

9,006 posts in this topic

That suks...:sorry:

The last show I went to was the LA Paperback show the second week of March just days before the shutdown. There was a guy from out of state with about 4 tables of pulps of all kinds. So many cool ones and ones I'd never seen. His prices were so good, I literally spent every dollar I brought and could have easily spent a lot more. I just never get to see a spread of pulps like that. I could only imagine what the Pulp Fest is like.

Does anybody have any photos of past shows they can post or the Windy City show?

4 hours ago, RedFury said:

Lou Gehrig

This photo of Lou Gehrig was taken in early 1937, the last of Gehrig's great seasons.  The pulp is dated Jul-Aug 1937.  In 1938 his numbers began to slip due to the onset of the disease that would take his life, ALS.  By spring 1939 is was obvious something was seriously wrong with Gehrig and he removed himself from the lineup on May 2, 1939 after playing in a then record 2,130 consecutive games.   He passed away on June 2, 1941 at the age of 37.

3RJOsQGl.jpgQMwQqMVl.jpg

Phenomenal books. Thanks for sharing these. It's a little ominous with the story "Unlucky Larruper"

16 minutes ago, rjpb said:

A recent pickup. I've always liked electric chair covers on comics, so this is a natural extension. It's got some water staining on the spine, going a half inch into the covers, and a strip along the top, so rusty staples as well, but colors are strong. This was the second issue of a 1935 3 issue run. It seems a bit scarce to me, but I'd appreciate the experts chiming in as to whether its all that scarce or not. 

gangmag2.thumb.jpeg.3feb01574632ad2643fcbfec7cfd89e8.jpeg

:golfclap:Wow, that's a doozey!

Very cool! 

38 minutes ago, rjpb said:

A recent pickup. I've always liked electric chair covers on comics, so this is a natural extension. It's got some water staining on the spine, going a half inch into the covers, and a strip along the top, so rusty staples as well, but colors are strong. This was the second issue of a 1935 3 issue run. It seems a bit scarce to me, but I'd appreciate the experts chiming in as to whether its all that scarce or not. 

I think it probably is pretty scarce. I don't recall ever seeing that one before.  Nice cover!

1 hour ago, rjpb said:

That exact copy came out of the big collection that I bought in June.  For the life of me I can’t remember who I sold it to.

276FBB6F-1234-4184-AE2D-78C255FEB01C.jpeg

22 minutes ago, detective35 said:

That exact copy came out of the big collection that I bought in June.  For the life of me I can’t remember who I sold it to.

Well, I must have seen it then!  I just don't remember it, probably because there were so many cool books, lol.

59 minutes ago, rjpb said:

Cool bunch of books. I purchased the book from DTA, so perhaps it was them.

I can’t remember selling a group of books to Alexander,  but it might’ve been that I sold it at the Pulp Fest in Pittsburgh and somebody traded with him.

Edited by detective35DF

2 hours ago, rjpb said:

That is a stunner. Never seen it either. I would imagine if will be a while before I do if at all.

14 minutes ago, Surfing Alien said:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/164211809405

Incredible action on these Black Mask pulps today...I hope we have some winners here today 🙂

I actually thought they would go a little higher, other  the one Chandler which was about right at $1600.00

However, I thought that some of the non-Chandler issues would go  higher than what they did.  

I’ve chatted the seller at length, Who by the way is a very nice guy.
He is basically a picker that went over to a place to buy toy trains and while he was there he spotted a box of magazines that the guy was going to throw out, and it it were the pulps, so he bought them.
Nice Find!!

Edited by detective35DF

11 minutes ago, detective35 said:

I actually thought they would go a little higher, other  the one Chandler which was about right at $1600.00

However, I thought that some of the non-Chandler issues would go  higher than what they did.  

I’ve chatted the seller at length, Who by the way is a very nice guy.
He is basically a picker that went over to a place to buy toy trains and while he was there he spotted a box of magazines that the guy was going to throw out, and it it were the pulps, so he bought them.
Nice Find!!

Wow! Awesome story... there are still finds :) They looked very fresh overall, not the usual ratty brittle things that are dragged out to auction.

9 hours ago, detective35 said:

He had this one on a “buy-it-now”, which I bought.  Very rare key issue issue and scarce in grade.  All Detective July, 1934:  (Doctor Death - 1st. appearance & cover!).  So much harder to get than any of the Dr. Deaths in his own run, especially in grade!

B898BEAA-C68C-42E9-9A3A-B7B592088265.jpeg

Really nice cover on that one. :applause:

On 5/25/2020 at 11:47 AM, RedFury said:

Missing baseball this morning and looking through my baseball pulps.  Some of the All-America Sports Magazine pulps had real major league players on the cover, and I've tracked down some of the original photos artist Chris Schaare worked from.

Carl Hubbell

Carl Hubbell was a left-handed starting pitcher for the New York Giants.  His primary pitch was a devastating screwball, considered the best in baseball history.  This photo of Hubbell was taken right before the 1933 World Series.  Hubbell would lead his NY Giants to victory over the Washington Senators, winning Games 1 and 4, and he was named the NL MVP for the 1933 season.  So it's no surprise he was chosen for the cover of this issue that came out in the spring of 1934.  Shortly after this issue hit the stands, at the 1934 All-Star game in July, Hubbell struck out five future Hall of Famers in succession: Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig, Jimmie Foxx, Al Simmons, and Joe Cronin.  He again won the NL MVP award in 1936 and was elected to the Hall of Fame in 1947.

PTTpj6Jl.jpgtVRnyKll.jpg

Todd, If I can find it I will post something tonight that goes with this very nicely.  I think you will really like it.  And by the way, I think these pictures with the pulps is extremely neat!