• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'll pound you to a "Pulp" if you don't show off yours!
23 23

9,039 posts in this topic

20 minutes ago, comicjack said:

Red dress check.hot girl check.tattoo on the leg check all the good stuff :luhv:

It seems like most of the "Girls in Perils" covers have the gal in some sort of red cocktail dress … I've wondered what the significance of that is. I'm probably over-thinking it.... I'm good at that. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

3 hours ago, jimjum12 said:

It seems like most of the "Girls in Perils" covers have the gal in some sort of red cocktail dress … I've wondered what the significance of that is. I'm probably over-thinking it.... I'm good at that. GOD BLESS....

You’re not overthinking it.  The reasons why Pulp covers were done so bright and colourful in order to capture the attention of buyers as they walked by the newsstands.  Cover images were everything in the 1930’s and 40’s.

12 hours ago, jimjum12 said:

Red is a very dramatic and eye catching color as is yellow. Used a lot in advertising to attract buyers. Combine it with a pretty girl...

Pulp covers were often painted with very dramatic lighting focusing on what they wanted you to notice. Many times a pretty girl in trouble. 

8 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Red is a very dramatic and eye catching color as is yellow. Used a lot in advertising to attract buyers. Combine it with a pretty girl...

Pulp covers were often painted with very dramatic lighting focusing on what they wanted you to notice. Many times a pretty girl in trouble. 

It does seem that Popular Publications in particular was enamored of the red dress, and also hooded figures. 

12 minutes ago, rjpb said:

It does seem that Popular Publications in particular was enamored of the red dress, and also hooded figures. 

Not just Popular publications, but almost all the pulp companies.  Red is certainly a color that stands out while catching the eye of people passing by and glancing at the many pulps and magazines on the newsstands.

Hooded figures figures were certainly popular and used on the covers of many pulps from various publications.

Edited by detective35DF

7 hours ago, RedFury said:

A giant pile of scarce Canadian edition Weird Tales just arrived.  Nova Scotia copies! :cloud9: 

….. I suppose this means that you can read Canadian :insane: GOD BLESS....

16 hours ago, RedFury said:

A giant pile of scarce Canadian edition Weird Tales just arrived.  Nova Scotia copies! :cloud9: 

YmGhPjlh.jpg

… and now on to the onerous task of fitting them in with the "others" … GOD BLESS.....

RED FURY'S PULP COLLECTION.jpg