• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'll pound you to a "Pulp" if you don't show off yours!
23 23

9,006 posts in this topic

29 minutes ago, detective35 said:

The other night I was chatting with another collector and he asked me what my favourite spicy book that I have is.  I really could only narrow it down to 7 of them,  but this probably would come out on top!

43D47275-DE60-45C1-A32C-CA109088DFD5.jpeg

Saunders :golfclap:

Forgive my ignorance on this subject but I have a question for the pulp collectors here in regard to trimming.  Obviously on comics it's considered verboten.  Is it the same with pulps?  Would you rather have a copy that has ragged overhang edges with pieces chipping off or a trimmed copy?  Any thoughts on what the price reduction for trimming is (ballpark)?

Appreciate your thoughts in advance.

I think a few pages back there was a big discussion on this.

Basically if you’re trimming a book it is a type of restoration.  How much it affects price depends on the severity of the trimming.  In some cases not very much if the book is extremely rare or the trimming is extremely light.  In other cases the price is affected quite a bit if it’s a book is trimmed with a scissors, as I will mention below.

Some pulps were factory trimmed while others have large overhangs.  

With the pulps that have factory overhangs that are smaller, if something is slightly trimmed it doesn’t affect the price as much as compared to a Street & Smith pulp like The Shadow, where the overhangs are large.  If a Shadow is trimmed, it is blatantly obvious.

I think the price depends on the individual book and how bad the trimming is.  For example, if pulp is trimmed 1/16th of an inch, the trim looks professional and is hard to detect  until close inspection, that  is completely different than one that is cut zigzag with a scissors, The latter example will definitely affect the prices.

Some Collectors might be hesitant to buy a book if it is trimmed (unless at a discount),  while other collectors are just thankful that they can get nice books and are not so concerned about a real slight trim.

If you come across the first Tarzan and it’s got some light trimming,  I think people might  just be thankful that they have gotten a chance to get one, where if you have a more common book that has trimming,  people may just pass on it. Sometimes it just comes down to the individual collector, where the price variance will depend on that  individual. 

In most cases a book would be worth less with trimming, than if that exact  book had the overhang that was a little ragged.

I think a few pages back there’s some in-depth discussion on what titles were trimmed, what companies factory trimmed certain titles  at what years and the opinions of different collectors

Edited by detective35DF

2 hours ago, detective35 said:

I think a few pages back there was a big discussion on this.

Thanks for taking the time to write this.  Not sure how I missed that discussion as this question has been in my mind.  Anyway, thanks again!  (thumbsu

Edited by Randall Dowling
Updated

11 minutes ago, Randall Dowling said:

Thanks for taking the time to write this.  Not sure how I missed that discussion as this question has been in my mind.  Anyway, thanks again!  (thumbsu

Hi Randall,

You can delete my above quote in your previous post ...LOL...as I just reworded some of my original post in order to try and explain it better.

I guess it is it just comes down to personal preference and what a collector wants to put their collection.

Edited by detective35DF

16 minutes ago, detective35 said:

Another runner up to the Satan’s Mistress!

E3567B82-7831-4163-BB63-7DAB6834294B.jpeg

As someone with an i assume extensive Pulp collection, it's great seeing you favorites like this. You know it's going to be choice selections when there are many worthy examples to pick from! Keep 'em coming!