• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'll pound you to a "Pulp" if you don't show off yours!
23 23

9,096 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, sagii said:

Another Saunders gem :cloud9:

Thrilling Detective (Oct, 1937).jpg

Looks like you have been bitten by the pulp bug Corey. That is a cool one I've never seen. I love everything Egyptian. I had a bucket list trip planned in April to visit the pyramids but then, the world went mad. The thing with pulps is that unlike comics, most have never been documented. Hard to know they exist until you just run into them. I have had a lot of fun picking them up for years without actually seeking them out. Due to age, storage and money, I have really tried to temper the urge but I still buy them. It would be great to have a pulp show out here on the west coast where I could go through boxes. I know I would make a lot of "discoveries" and go home broke!

10 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Looks like you have been bitten by the pulp bug Corey. That is a cool one I've never seen. I love everything Egyptian. I had a bucket list trip planned in April to visit the pyramids but then, the world went mad. The thing with pulps is that unlike comics, most have never been documented. Hard to know they exist until you just run into them. I have had a lot of fun picking them up for years without actually seeking them out. Due to age, storage and money, I have really tried to temper the urge but I still buy them. It would be great to have a pulp show out here on the west coast where I could go through boxes. I know I would make a lot of "discoveries" and go home broke!

Thanks RM, and yes I have.

Since i've been on furlough for three months since quarantine I have shifted my focus on these, Being home gave me enough time to really dive in and research as much as I could find online. Plus, these gave more buck for the bang during this time as these (even with their knockout covers) are WAAAAAY less than a comic with comparable cover content would cost me (as you have pointed out in posts before). 

But Monday as NYC reopens, I will be off furlough and returning to work! :angel: 

If there is another positive that came out of this time aside from the most important health (of self and loved ones and everyone), it's that i dove into this neck of the hobby with plenty of time to soak up as much info and covers and i could, but i know there will always be a 'new' one to me out there and that makes it all the more fun!!

21 hours ago, sagii said:

Thanks RM, and yes I have.

Since i've been on furlough for three months since quarantine I have shifted my focus on these, Being home gave me enough time to really dive in and research as much as I could find online. Plus, these gave more buck for the bang during this time as these (even with their knockout covers) are WAAAAAY less than a comic with comparable cover content would cost me (as you have pointed out in posts before). 

But Monday as NYC reopens, I will be off furlough and returning to work! :angel: 

If there is another positive that came out of this time aside from the most important health (of self and loved ones and everyone), it's that i dove into this neck of the hobby with plenty of time to soak up as much info and covers and i could, but i know there will always be a 'new' one to me out there and that makes it all the more fun!!

It’s great to be able to look for specific pulps knowing what you want. But, then you actually need to find them. If you think a lot of GA books are high to find, just try to find rare pulps. 

I gave up on a want list. There are just so many I’d like to find at this point, it seems like an impossible task. I just grab them when I see them. 

Collecting pulps is like when I first started collecting GA. Everything is new, exciting and un-discovered. 

38 minutes ago, buttock said:

Sorting pulps -- it's a dirty job, but someone has to do it -- and figured I'd snap a few of my nicer Spicy Mysterys.  Boy these gals sure were good at getting into predicaments. 

MVIMG_20200621_091616.jpg

Yes, i guess they paved the way for Bucky and Robin :D

Cool books!

Being new to Pulps, most of what I've seen was the material on eBay and this thread recently. . I picked up Tim's Price Guide.... VERY informative. 

Along the way I kept hearing about the Spicy line. If I want to put an image with a title, I usually go to Buddy's site ... scans of almost everything, even Pulps. I had never seen many Spicy Mystery issues for sale, and just recently looked at all the covers... Wow. No wonder people don't want to  sell them. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Edited by jimjum12

11 hours ago, jimjum12 said:

Being new to Pulps, most of what I've seen was the material on eBay and this thread recently. . I picked up Tim's Price Guide.... VERY informative. 

Along the way I kept hearing about the Spicy line. If I want to put an image with a title, I usually go to Buddy's site ... scans of almost everything, even Pulps. I had never seen many Spicy Mystery issues for sale, and just recently looked at all the covers... Wow. No wonder people don't want to  sell them. GOD BLESS...

This is one of the more complete online pulp cover resources. Highly recommended for browsing.

http://www.philsp.com/index.html

1 hour ago, Robot Man said:

Oh, please God, don't let me look...

I absolutely respect that site as a reference, and for a lot of stuff it's the only comprehensive source.  But small scans and a horribly annoying to navigate layout mercifully keep me from wasting much time there, mercifully.

18 hours ago, jimjum12 said:

Link to Buddy’s site please?

4 hours ago, Daniel Boshell said:

Link to Buddy’s site please?

www.mycomicshop.com

You do have to enter in a title, so you have to know what you want to look at ... although he probably has a search filter for Pulps only. GOD BLESS....

On 6/22/2020 at 8:32 PM, OtherEric said:

I absolutely respect that site as a reference, and for a lot of stuff it's the only comprehensive source.  But small scans and a horribly annoying to navigate layout mercifully keep me from wasting much time there, mercifully.

However remember, He has put thousands of hours into developing that  website and all for free.  

Are there things that could be better like larger scans, or going to go from picture to picture once they are enlarged....absolutely,  but he basically has created a photo journal guide for pulps without charging a cent!

Edited by detective35DF

29 minutes ago, detective35 said:

However remember, He has put thousands of hours into developing that  website and all for free.  

Are there things that could be better like larger scans, or going to go from picture to picture once they are enlarged....absolutely,  but he basically has created a photo journal guide for pulps without charging a cent!

Absolutely correct, and I 100% respect and appreciate it for what it is.  But for me, at least, it's not a spectacular place to just browse. My comment was meant as a specific counter to @Robot Man saying they should avoid looking, I was trying to say they should.

1 hour ago, OtherEric said:

Absolutely correct, and I 100% respect and appreciate it for what it is.  But for me, at least, it's not a spectacular place to just browse. My comment was meant as a specific counter to @Robot Man saying they should avoid looking, I was trying to say they should.

👍👍👍

I use the website all the time.

It does frustrate me that when you enlarge the picture you can’t automatically go to the next one right beside it, you have to close it down and then re-enlarge the next one every time.

10 hours ago, OtherEric said:

I wasn’t saying that anyone shouldn’t look at it. I was saying, that I shouldn’t look because the last thing I need is a fall further down the hole of pulp collecting. Last thing I need to do now is to jump hard into a new collecting pool. 

Glad to know the resource is available and will take a peek when I get the time. 

Edited by Robot Man