• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'll pound you to a "Pulp" if you don't show off yours!
23 23

9,006 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, RedFury said:

So somehow I had no idea this existed, even though it features one of my favorite pulp covers (<<--- see avatar).  It's from 1949, 15 years after the original, and doesn't have the Conan story or any others from the original.  But still, I couldn't pass it up and grabbed it (after Dwight frantically called and texted to alert me to it, haha! Thanks Dwight!)

nucBgRYh.jpg

Dwight is so cool. He's one of those old school collectors who believes in sharing experiences and expertise... and networking. It's refreshing ... reminds me of hanging out with my collector friends back in the  70's when it was all about the fun. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

3 hours ago, RedFury said:

So somehow I had no idea this existed, even though it features one of my favorite pulp covers (<<--- see avatar).  It's from 1949, 15 years after the original, and doesn't have the Conan story or any others from the original.  But still, I couldn't pass it up and grabbed it (after Dwight frantically called and texted to alert me to it, haha! Thanks Dwight!)

nucBgRYh.jpg

Wow, cool! And a plus that a Boardie helped out. I can think of a few acquisitions I probably would have missed if not for a Boardie PM-ing me. Great place the Boards. 

Congrats!

3 hours ago, jimjum12 said:

Dwight is so cool. He's one of those old school collectors who believes in sharing experiences and expertise... and networking. It's refreshing ... reminds me of hanging out with my collector friends back in the  70's when it was all about the fun. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Thanks Jimbo,

Right back at you!

You may have spotted Arthur J. Burks' name on 6 of the 7 Sky Fighters covers I just posted.  While Burks is best remembered today for his weird fiction pulp stories (he had 29 stories in Weird Tales), he was one of the most prolific pulp writers, a "million word a year man" who published over 800 stories, and aviation stories were actually his most common genre.

10 hours ago, RedFury said:

At the inaugural World Fantasy Convention in 1975 at Providence, Rhode Island, Manly Wade Wellman won the World Fantasy Award for Best Collection for the 1973 Carcosa publication Worse Things Waiting, a collection of his weird fiction stories that included tales from Weird Tales, Strange Stories, and Unknown.

XP943OYl.jpg50kcdXBl.jpg

Most of you know I'm a huge Weird Tales fan, and Manly Wade Wellman had 40 stories published there, so when I heard that Wellman's WF award might be available I decided to try to get it.  After failing to acquire it six months ago, another chance came around and this time I was successful.  It arrived today! 

u3mNZyxl.jpgPprpJiul.jpg

The award is a sculpture of H.P. Lovecraft and was designed by Gahan Wilson.  It's pretty large, probably about 1 foot high and weighs about 10 lbs.  I plan to refurbish my home office into more of a library, and this will be the centerpiece. :cloud9:

If the family didn't want to keep it (or there was no family to keep it), I cannot imagine a more worthy caretaker for it than you.  What an awesome item!

2 hours ago, RedFury said:

This is not by Rafael DeSoto but by William F. Soare.  The signature that appears on the cover has been removed and an extra rivet photo-shopped in its place.  I think perhaps someone removed the original Soare signature for aesthetic reasons, and then the image was later mis-attributed to DeSoto.

Detail from the scan above shows 4 rivets below the smoke and no signature, which has been altered.

mciHAHGh.jpg

Detail from my copy shows 3 rivets below the smoke and Soare's clear signature.

FNKMGgGh.jpg

xBcYBs3h.jpg

Ah, thanks for the clarification.

21 hours ago, RedFury said:

At the inaugural World Fantasy Convention in 1975 at Providence, Rhode Island, Manly Wade Wellman won the World Fantasy Award for Best Collection for the 1973 Carcosa publication Worse Things Waiting, a collection of his weird fiction stories that included tales from Weird Tales, Strange Stories, and Unknown.

XP943OYl.jpg50kcdXBl.jpg

Most of you know I'm a huge Weird Tales fan, and Manly Wade Wellman had 40 stories published there, so when I heard that Wellman's WF award might be available I decided to try to get it.  After failing to acquire it six months ago, another chance came around and this time I was successful.  It arrived today! 

u3mNZyxl.jpgPprpJiul.jpg

The award is a sculpture of H.P. Lovecraft and was designed by Gahan Wilson.  It's pretty large, probably about 1 foot high and weighs about 10 lbs.  I plan to refurbish my home office into more of a library, and this will be the centerpiece. :cloud9:

Wow, very cool! Has Graham Wilson written all over it. Glad it landed in a place that it should be.