• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'll pound you to a "Pulp" if you don't show off yours!
23 23

9,006 posts in this topic

A quick question for my fellow dwellers in the Pulp forum:  Would it be appropriate to create an Arkham House thread?  They're not actually pulps, other than the Arkham Sampler, but as a publisher they're so closely tied to the pulps it seems to me like it would fit right in.  That, and I would love to see people post their books here some more.

Anybody have any thoughts on the subject?

43 minutes ago, OtherEric said:

A quick question for my fellow dwellers in the Pulp forum:  Would it be appropriate to create an Arkham House thread?  They're not actually pulps, other than the Arkham Sampler, but as a publisher they're so closely tied to the pulps it seems to me like it would fit right in.  That, and I would love to see people post their books here some more.

I would love to see that and to learn more about that. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

2 hours ago, OtherEric said:

Yes, but not just for Arkham House.  I would include all the specialty publishers that presented pulp stories in hardcover.  Publishers like Shasta, Fantasy Press, Gnome Press, Fantasy Publishing (FPCI), Prime Press, etc.

I've been toying with the idea for a while now.  I was going to call it "Pulps Between Boards: Arkham House and Other Specialty Publishers".

7 minutes ago, RedFury said:

Yes, but not just for Arkham House.  I would include all the specialty publishers that presented pulp stories in hardcover.  Publishers like Shasta, Fantasy Press, Gnome Press, Fantasy Publishing (FPCI), Prime Press, etc.

I've been toying with the idea for a while now.  I was going to call it "Pulps Between Boards: Arkham House and Other Specialty Publishers".

Sounds even better than my idea.  If you don't start it yourself, I'll steal the name the next time I get an Arkham House (or subsidiary) book in.  But I don't expect any to arrive within the next 12 hours.  (Next 24 hours is a different story.)

On 11/7/2020 at 4:49 PM, OtherEric said:

I'm guessing those are bedsheet issues?  Neat books, even with garbage packaging...

Yes, bedsheet size for these later issues.  I'm trying to decide what to do with the wrappers.  There are three in the group that I need to take out, but it's very difficult to get them back into those tight mailers.  Do I keep the mailing sleeves?  Do I put them into their own sleeve (my thought is that they're acidic, but the pulp paper seems just as bad)?  Do I just continue to let them live in the mailer as they have for the last 70 years?  There's no $$$ value for these later issues (from what I've seen).

4 minutes ago, Yorick said:

Yes, bedsheet size for these later issues.  I'm trying to decide what to do with the wrappers.  There are three in the group that I need to take out, but it's very difficult to get them back into those tight mailers.  Do I keep the mailing sleeves?  Do I put them into their own sleeve (my thought is that they're acidic, but the pulp paper seems just as bad)?  Do I just continue to let them live in the mailer as they have for the last 70 years?  There's no $$$ value for these later issues (from what I've seen).

I would keep the mailers separate, but definitely keep them. 

I have a few 70's mailers from Marvel comics, separate from the original books.  The store owner had already separated them from the books and was ready to throw them out when I asked for a few.  They're a neat artifact.

7 minutes ago, Yorick said:

I have a couple of Weird Tales in the original subscription mailers.  What I did was take the pulp out of the mailer and put it in a mylite 2 with full back board, as usual, and then slip the mailer on the other side of the full back board.  That way they're together in the mylite, but not touching.

While looking for other documents, came across a file with a bunch of my old pulp scans.  This particular file contains scans that were rejected for use in the interior of the 2005 pulp guide.  At the time my main emphasis was in acquiring scarcer pulps.  Almost all of the pulps I owned then were sold during the 2006 PulpCon (some may have ultimately made their way into the hands of Boardies here).  Anyway, I can post some of these periodically if there is interest.  First up, the two Cabaret Stories I had...

Cabaret Stories 1928 08.jpg

Cabaret Stories 1928 09.jpg