• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'll pound you to a "Pulp" if you don't show off yours!
23 23

9,092 posts in this topic

Two down (Feb + March 1936), one to go (April 1936) to complete my set of At The Mountains of Madness by H.P. Lovecraft in Astounding Stories. Thanks @OtherEric for the introduction to Lovecraft.

Not the best copy (the "March" on the spine almost fell off as I was bagging + boarding...) but hard to complain anytime you can get your hands on one of these.

PXL_20201205_184512405.thumb.jpg.2c34c33af8cde4770bdc53d2d5991af2.jpg

Mail day! Startling Stories - September 1939 featuring the first (to my knowledge) pulp cover by Alex Schomburg.

I've now completed my "grab it just for the cover" wish list, which was admittedly only this one and the Amazing Stories - April 1928 issue I posted previously. Completing a list is nice but making a new one is even better, so I'm happy to hear any recommendations

StartlingSeptember1939.thumb.jpg.7687b5d3e0d22055f8e1fd8a1fab514b.jpg

Cheers,

Matt

2 hours ago, asimovpulps said:

Mail day! Startling Stories - September 1939 featuring the first (to my knowledge) pulp cover by Alex Schomburg.

I've now completed my "grab it just for the cover" wish list, which was admittedly only this one and the Amazing Stories - April 1928 issue I posted previously. Completing a list is nice but making a new one is even better, so I'm happy to hear any recommendations

StartlingSeptember1939.thumb.jpg.7687b5d3e0d22055f8e1fd8a1fab514b.jpg

Cheers,

Matt

What sort of project?  How big?

One that I've enjoyed a few times is "pick a classic series/ storyline" and put together the original publications.  I'm pretty sure you've already done that with "I, Robot"; I'm close to done with that for Bradbury's "The Martian Chronicles" and have most of the pulps for Heinlein's "The Past Through Tomorrow".  (Missing most of the slicks still, though). Or, for a similar project in the digest era, I've gathered all I can discover of uncollected Harlan Ellison SF.

5 hours ago, thewritestuff said:

I know this aren't really traditional pulps, but I was wondering if these pulp-y magazines with the lurid covers are rare and/or desired by collectors? 

IMG_8618.jpeg

These mags kill me.  I just picked up this book which is awesome, it's not full size, more pulp size actually but it's still killer.  Gotta love the Taschen books:

https://www.amazon.com/Mens-Adventure-Magazines-Postwar-America/dp/3836503123/ref=sr_1_20?dchild=1&keywords=men's+adventure&qid=1608129636&rnid=2941120011&s=books&sr=1-20

On 12/15/2020 at 10:50 PM, OtherEric said:

What sort of project?  How big?

One that I've enjoyed a few times is "pick a classic series/ storyline" and put together the original publications.  I'm pretty sure you've already done that with "I, Robot";

Great question and agreed on classic series/storyline as the projects I tend to enjoy most. That's how I started (Foundation series) and first branched out (Dune - if we want to be loose in our "pulp" definition), and they were some of the most memorable issues I've collected....even if I overpaid for a few as part of my "learning experience tax".

I'm actually not done with I, Robot which is surprising given I really went all in with the AsimovPulps screen name... :). The ones I have left are easier to find mid-40s to 1950s digests so the just haven't been top of mind. But that could be a fun (and less expensive) one to fully complete.

I'll take a look at the few of the storylines you mentioned and see if any pique my interest, thanks for sharing! I considered diving into Lovecraft for about 3.5 seconds until I realized it was very expensive and seemingly impossible undertaking, but I am still looking for that elusive April 1936 Astounding to round out Mountains of Madness. Almost done reading the actual story, though I ended up reading the ebook scans of the pulps so as not to destroy the fragile copies I have.

Thanks as always for the suggestions!

Matt

I just want to vent a tiny bit.  Bought from 2 pulp sellers on ebay over the last 2 days, and had 2 bad experiences.  On one, the guy listed several books across a week, and I asked him if I could wait to pay for one I had won until the other auctions finished, to save him having to ship multiple packages, and got a 3 word response, basically saying 3 days, even though some of the pulps I had high bids on were 4-5 days out.  I wrote back, ok, ill just pay now, sorry to have bothered ya, and got back a paragraph of ALL CAPS RANT.  Jesus, customer service :/

123.thumb.jpg.af24757a3a63e5ef1ccb9a6736c91839.jpg

Second, I bought 3 pulps from a guy.  He lists that he combines shipping, which is why I bought 3, I like to save on shipping.  I asked for an invoice, and he sends one listing $16.50 as the shipping cost.  I asked him if that reflected the combined shipping and he said "yes, look closer, it has a $2.50 discount".  

123.thumb.png.9c608c6dd7936353b5f2bf50f1360486.png

Where I feel a miffed is, the price per book he listed to ship was $4.50 for one, and $6 on the other two.  Total shipping should be $16.50 before combining for a discount, so his $2.50 discount wasn't even real.  I could see charging $10-$11 combined shipping for the 3 pulps, if his stated shipping cost per auction is $6, but I don't see how adding 2 more pulps to the $6 box brings the total shipping cost to $16.50.  I mean, when you advertise you combine shipping on your auctions, doesn't that give the buyer an expectation that the combined shipping would reflect some sort of a reasonable discount?  I'm not going to argue with the guy over this, but I really feel this isn't how combined shipping is supposed to work.   Maybe I've been spoiled by some amazing comic sellers over the years like Blissard?  

Edited by waaaghboss