• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'll pound you to a "Pulp" if you don't show off yours!
23 23

9,103 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, Raze said:

Well I bought my first Pulp!... But it has a repo cover...that was CLEARLY listed in the item TITLE :facepalm: 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/WEIRD-TALES-MARCH-1949-REPLICATED-GLOSSY-FRONT-COVER-/124603983460?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=FIWv10PCWNBNMULpmg%2B1vG7SYJ8%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc:roflmao:

Ive always liked this cover so what the heck!

Are any of the stories good?

Scan 2021-3-13 21.17.06.jpg

I don't think I've read any of the stories from that issue.  But Theodore Sturgeon is a good writer, there's a Robert Bloch story and he's one of the Weird Tales regulars who is well remembered today, and it's got a Cthulhu related story by Derleth- which I really should read eventually; to make my own mind up about.  Some people hate everything Derleth did with the Mythos, but the fact is he really did more than just about anybody to expand and popularize the concept.

This cover has always thrown me, I don't have this issue.  But I do have another one that I keep getting this one confused with when I see it.  Not sure why,they're not THAT similar:

Weird_Tales_1950_05.jpg

On 3/13/2021 at 10:39 PM, Raze said:

Well I bought my first Pulp!... But it has a repo cover...that was CLEARLY listed in the item TITLE :facepalm: 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/WEIRD-TALES-MARCH-1949-REPLICATED-GLOSSY-FRONT-COVER-/124603983460?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=FIWv10PCWNBNMULpmg%2B1vG7SYJ8%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc:roflmao:

Ive always liked this cover so what the heck!

Are any of the stories good?

Scan 2021-3-13 21.17.06.jpg

Cool marionette cover ☝️👍‼️

Hello all, I am a long time collector and Host of Golden Guys. As a Huge Pulp fan of Lovecraft, Williamson, Bradbury, Saunders, Brundedge and Finley. A shop owner called and said..do you know about these. Well Tommorow night on YouTube Comic Corps I will be Debuting the first part of the Collection.

Hi everyone. I don't collect Pulp comics but these were in a box of comics I picked up today. Is anyone familiar with these? I did some research and it does not seem that they are highly valuable at all. Looks like they may have sustained some water damage over time. I know there are some avid collectors of certain books regardless of condition and I wouldn't mind sending them to someone who's really into these. I just didn't want to get rid of them because I don't know anyone in my area that collects books like these.

20210407_161734.jpg

Just now, CHASEnBLUE said:

Hi everyone. I don't collect Pulp comics but these were in a box of comics I picked up today. Is anyone familiar with these? I did some research and it does not seem that they are highly valuable at all. Looks like they may have sustained some water damage over time. I know there are some avid collectors of certain books regardless of condition and I wouldn't mind sending them to someone who's really into these. I just didn't want to get rid of them because I don't know anyone in my area that collects books like these.

20210407_161734.jpg

Fun to read but little value but they survived some 70 years now.The covers and the stories are the thing that sells pulps the older they are more rare they get.I would just tuck them away and when you have time read them (thumbsu

3 minutes ago, comicjack said:

Fun to read but little value but they survived some 70 years now.The covers and the stories are the thing that sells pulps the older they are more rare they get.I would just tuck them away and when you have time read them (thumbsu

Thanks for the good info! 😁

45 minutes ago, CHASEnBLUE said:

20210407_161734.jpg

As others have said, none of these are particularly high value at the moment.  But pulps are surprising a lot of people right now, so who knows.  The Planet Stories has an interior illustration by Wally Wood, by the way.

3 hours ago, asimovpulps said:

Two treasures from a weekend pulp hunt in the real world. Definitely wasn't expecting to add these to the collection any time soon, let alone in the same day. Both dinged up (missing back covers), but no complaints from me.

Weird Tales December 1932 - first Conan story by Robert E Howard

Amazing Stories September 1927 - A Colour Out of Space by Lovecraft

PXL_20210412_024257526.thumb.jpg.aa4a9b837e344136e7e60eed906a2a16.jpg

PXL_20210412_024853802.thumb.jpg.b4af4a5c0b66cb054352259c88a4b11a.jpg

A couple of incredible pick-ups!