• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'll pound you to a "Pulp" if you don't show off yours!
23 23

9,038 posts in this topic

Pulpfest announced this morning that their 2017 Guest of Honor is artist Gloria Stoll Karn.  She painted lots of crime and romance covers for Popular Publications in the 1940s.  

Pulpfest announcement

I was already thinking of going to the show, and this is just added incentive.  Here's some of her covers that I have.

Q78KSWcl.jpgLc7Eynsl.jpgywIpTSOl.jpgLBryfxkl.jpgoq4aiatl.jpg

9 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Very nice covers. Would you have her sign any of them?

Yes, if I go I will take some to be signed.  Not on the covers, but inside at the bottom of the Table of Contents.  Signing covers is barbaric!  <ducks>

6 hours ago, JohnT said:

Reminds me of this cover.  Wonder if she did this one.

RRomances.jpg

I don't know.

On the one hand the title and time period are right for when she was working, and the style does look like her.

On the other hand this issue isn't on her website which has LOTS of other Rangelend Romances listed. 

So I don't know.

On 2/23/2017 at 2:35 PM, Bookery said:

Print-on-demand may indeed be a possibility.  But the old-time pulpsters are not much into computer uploading, so it's hard to say.  If all else fails, I may find a way to attach it to my website, where it could possibly be made available for free.  It's not like one gets rich publishing reference books anyway.  But again... it's not the same as a nice professionally bound book.  -- Tim Cottrill

You should maybe look into publishing it on Kindle? Also you could get someone to format it to the Kindle for under $100 on 

Fiverr depending on how many pages it has.

Here is a link for you to check out about Kindle formatting.

https://www.fiverr.com/search/gigs?query=kindle+formatting&search_in=everywhere&page=1&filter=auto

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

On 2/23/2017 at 2:35 PM, Bookery said:

Print-on-demand may indeed be a possibility.  But the old-time pulpsters are not much into computer uploading, so it's hard to say.  If all else fails, I may find a way to attach it to my website, where it could possibly be made available for free.  It's not like one gets rich publishing reference books anyway.  But again... it's not the same as a nice professionally bound book.  -- Tim Cottrill

I'm a little late in replying here, but I'm just now working my way onto the new site. Tim, this is great news that you are working on the update. If you need any advice or assistance with publishing, I run a small press that uses print-on-demand technology and e-books. I'd be happy to help you with this. 

Meanwhile here are some more H. Rider Haggard goodies -- this time actual pulps! 

The Popular Magazine January and February 1905 with the first two installments of Ayesha, The Return of SHE. 

cbFbKNg.jpg

0nP9HBt.jpg

Edited by Theagenes

20 hours ago, Theagenes said:

I'm a little late in replying here, but I'm just now working my way onto the new site. Tim, this is great news that you are working on the update. If you need any advice or assistance with publishing, I run a small press that uses print-on-demand technology and e-books. I'd be happy to help you with this. 

Thanks!  When I get a little closer to finishing I'll get back to this.  I may also be seeking some input from these boards on sales prices, especially of the rarer and more obscure stuff, that may not show up in the usual searches and sites.  Neat Populars, btw.

Just picked up a few Shadows a while back so I thought I'd post them.  In all I kept about 35 more shadows from this collection (all in similar grade) between 1935 -1937.  

Even though I have the Strasser copies of most of these, I still can't resist Ultra high-grade Shadows, even duplicates or triplicates.

Dwight

IMG_3051.thumb.JPG.763b8119aeb4959c764cfc1b48dc4d3a.JPGIMG_3127.thumb.JPG.653fa496540f13dec6074d32ccc37d88.JPGIMG_3125.thumb.JPG.bd6f2308788f84b40ad7c0362a3c592a.JPGIMG_3129.thumb.JPG.7d6f182c6262400a3b37ee2e4ef89118.JPGIMG_3124.thumb.JPG.fa97abf3b2166c4e95f26061cd7ee717.JPG

Edited by detective35DF
Added text