• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'll pound you to a "Pulp" if you don't show off yours!
23 23

9,039 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, RedFury said:

Spicy Mystery Stories, Oct 1940

I love the science fiction theme to this one, like a demented Buck Rogers or Flash Gordon story.  I'm not certain if any other Spicys had a sci-fi cover.

hhaXmMGh.jpg

I was eyeing this one up, RedFury.  Congrats!!!  This is just the bee's knees.  I had never even seen this cover before.

On 6/21/2017 at 10:56 AM, circumstances said:

I just bought some cool (to me) pulps. I'll post pics when they arrive :)

Finally arrived!

As some of you may or may not know, I'm not a pulp collector. I've just been (very slowly) putting together the Conan Weird Tales.

For whatever reason, this issue proved to be somewhat harder find than the others, I was very happy to buy it in somewhat nice shape.

March, 1936, "Hour of the Dragon, Part 4:"

i5b2tttmeud3r3i4g.jpg

And, although I don't collect pulps, I'm a huge fan of Timely, the Human Torch and Simon and Kirby, so I've been meaning to buy one of these for years.

Again, happy to find one in decent shape, nice colors, full spine, no trimming, etc.

Marvel Stories, November, 1940:

21u654c6oeautma4g.jpg

Edited by circumstances

5 minutes ago, circumstances said:

Finally arrived!

As some of you may or may not know, I'm not a pulp collector. I've just been (very slowly) putting together the Conan Weird Tales.

For whatever reason, this issue proved to be somewhat harder find than the others, I was very happy to buy it in somewhat nice shape.

i5b2tttmeud3r3i4g.jpg

Nice - I really like the Brundage Weird Tales, but I don't have any of the Conan issues.

Does this complete the Conan set for you?

9 hours ago, circumstances said:

And, although I don't collect pulps, I'm a huge fan of Timely, the Human Torch and Simon and Kirby, so I've been meaning to buy one of these for years.

Again, happy to find one in decent shape, nice colors, full spine, no trimming, etc.

Marvel Stories, November, 1940:

21u654c6oeautma4g.jpg

Nice!

12 hours ago, RedFury said:

Took a while to find a copy of this classic!  Sometimes you just have to know someone who calls you when they decide to sell. :)

All Detective Magazine, Jan 1935

Cover by Norman Saunders

59GLfiCh.jpg

Some intense cover 

On ‎7‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 0:30 PM, circumstances said:

Finally arrived!

i5b2tttmeud3r3i4g.jpg

Great book! Congrats!

I don't collect pulps, either*, but I felt a strong need to own a Conan issue. I was happy to stumble into the back half of one of my favorite stories, Beyond The Black River!

(*  -but I may be in danger of catching the bug; I lurk here a lot!) 

On 6/18/2017 at 11:18 PM, Robot Man said:

Awesome consolation prize! I can't ever get enough Spicys. Speaking of Jon Berk, kinda surprised he didn't have pulps in his collection...

You'd have to ask him to be certain he didn't.  I never saw any.

On 6/21/2017 at 10:03 AM, RedFury said:

Spicy Mystery Stories, Oct 1940

I love the science fiction theme to this one, like a demented Buck Rogers or Flash Gordon story.  I'm not certain if any other Spicys had a sci-fi cover.

They did... Jan '41, Mar '41, Sep '41, and Feb '42 issues also had sf themes.  In Spicy Adventure, the Aug, Oct, and Dec 1940 issues has sf covers, as did 1941's Feb, Apr, Jul, Sep and Nov issues, and the Jan and Mar issues of 1942.

2 hours ago, lpsunburst said:

Are any of you planning on going to Pulpfest in Pittsburgh at the end of the month? I am on the fence about making the drive.

Yes, I plan to be there Thu and Fri.  Making it a family trip and spending the week before in Pittsburgh and Cleveland.

2 hours ago, Bookery said:

They did... Jan '41, Mar '41, Sep '41, and Feb '42 issues also had sf themes.  In Spicy Adventure, the Aug, Oct, and Dec 1940 issues has sf covers, as did 1941's Feb, Apr, Jul, Sep and Nov issues, and the Jan and Mar issues of 1942.

Thanks, I had no idea there was so many.  I just took a look through them all and the only one I think I've seen before is the Mar 1941 Spicy Mystery.