• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'll pound you to a "Pulp" if you don't show off yours!
23 23

9,042 posts in this topic

10 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Yes indeed! Is that a digest? Never seen it before.

Yes it is a digest!  I had not seen one either out in the wild.

"Although it's "pulpy" looking, Hot Bullets for Love is a grail for vintage paperback collectors. "

interesting assertion that prompted me to think: while I agree that digests are more PB than pulp - they share a strong kinship with the pulps too. Note the 'seamless' transition of 2 key SF mags (Amazing and Astounding) from pulp to digest. More food for thought in that the final demise of the pulps & the CCA (which vastly truncated the comics market) occur simultaneously... With the migration from pulp to digest, and the expansion of the PB market (led by Fawcett coming in with Gold Medal in 1950 which pioneered the concept of original PB novels versus reprints from hardback or magazine appearances - the success of that line was the real reason they left comics) one could say that the 'adult' market held its own and the biggest impact was the shrinkage of the youth market (tv anyone?).

Got a nice quartet of books in today.  Starting with the least impressive, we have a copy of the January 1939 Weird Tales.  Medusa's Coil is generally regarded as one of Lovecraft's worst collaborations, unfortunately, and it's a low grade copy.  But I'm still not going to scoff at the first appearance of any Lovecraft story, particularly not at the low price I paid:

Weird_Tales_1939_01.jpg

On 11/30/2017 at 12:46 AM, OtherEric said:

And, the real gem of the haul tonight:  Amazing Stories for March 1929.  It will look very nice next to my August 1928 issue:

Amazing_Stories_1929_March.jpg

Cool!  Buck's only cover appearance.