• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'll pound you to a "Pulp" if you don't show off yours!
23 23

9,006 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, Robot Man said:

I love the Spider pulps. The "chick on a wheel" was a popular theme in many of them

pulpspider9:39.jpg

..... wasn't that a Pointer Sisters song ? "Bet you got a Chick on the Wheel..." GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

I picked this up in a collection I bought last week.  Trying to find out more about it.  Scarcity, value,  etc.  Can anyone help me with that or point me in the right direction?  Nice square bound 1935 book, maybe VG or so.  This is a stock photo, the book is at home.  Thanks. 

thrilling_detective_193505.jpg.6830ed3b9a394482853f4744926dd16d.jpg

On 1/23/2018 at 1:42 PM, Spidey 62 said:

I picked this up in a collection I bought last week.  Trying to find out more about it.  Scarcity, value,  etc.  Can anyone help me with that or point me in the right direction?  Nice square bound 1935 book, maybe VG or so.  This is a stock photo, the book is at home.  Thanks. 

Hmm.  I really don't know much about the title, so I had been hoping somebody else would jump in first.  It really comes down to who the writers are, and to a lesser degree the artists.  One thing I would mention:  "Nice square bound" is NOT a good thing in general on pulps, although there are quite a few exceptions.  Most pulps have very rough edges, with the exception of Street & Smith books from around 1936 or later.  Oh, and Weird Tales would trim the edge opposite the spine, but not the top & bottom.  If the book has smooth edges it's probably been trimmed, which drops the value quite a bit.

Otherwise, it depends on the writers.  Edmond Hamilton was a good writer as pulps go, but his name doesn't often drive up the value, and I don't recognize the other names on the cover.

Hope that helps a little, at least.

On ‎1‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 3:42 PM, Spidey 62 said:

Without seeing your copy, it's probably worth $60 to $80 if complete, and if it presents as well as the stock photo, for instance, could fetch up to $150 to $200 at auction.   :foryou:

7 hours ago, OtherEric said:

Hmm.  I really don't know much about the title, so I had been hoping somebody else would jump in first.  It really comes down to who the writers are, and to a lesser degree the artists.  One thing I would mention:  "Nice square bound" is NOT a good thing in general on pulps, although there are quite a few exceptions.  Most pulps have very rough edges, with the exception of Street & Smith books from around 1936 or later.  Oh, and Weird Tales would trim the edge opposite the spine, but not the top & bottom.  If the book has smooth edges it's probably been trimmed, which drops the value quite a bit.

Otherwise, it depends on the writers.  Edmond Hamilton was a good writer as pulps go, but his name doesn't often drive up the value, and I don't recognize the other names on the cover.

Hope that helps a little, at least.

Thanks, that helps.  When I said square bound, I actually meant the book being thick and the spine not being folded and stapled. 

7 hours ago, PopKulture said:

Without seeing your copy, it's probably worth $60 to $80 if complete, and if it presents as well as the stock photo, for instance, could fetch up to $150 to $200 at auction.   :foryou:

Thanks, it will be a future sale thread at a much lower price.  Like I said somewhere around VG or VG/F.  

Nice one Red. I missed out on a nice copy of that at the flea market a few months ago but it went to a good friend. A guy shows up every month with a new box every time of $10 pulps. Average sci fi usually, but every once in a while a Spider or two or a Spicey title. I always hit him first but this time I was second in line. ?