• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'll pound you to a "Pulp" if you don't show off yours!
23 23

9,092 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, N e r V said:

You guys are talking about the October 1912 Tarzán cover, correct? Not the actual All Story 1?

CD7C5499-C8EA-43BC-A6E6-55909609A3B5.jpeg.adc079cf10f96a3061fc72cb05b7c914.jpeg

I meant the All-October All-Story Tarzan cover like you said.  That 1 is a mistake.

4 minutes ago, OtherEric said:

38 down, 10 to go.  I'll get there before too much longer.

:applause: Group shot when you get close. Do you have all issues for the Purple Invasion already?

Next, the October 1939 issue of Weird Tales.  Kenneth Sterling certainly got his name big on the cover for somebody's first and only fiction sale; his coauthor probably had a lot to do with that.  He actually wound up being a prominent doctor doing research into thyroid conditions; his Wikipedia page mentions the story but mostly covers his medical career.  This one also has a reprint of Howard's "Worms of the Earth".

Weird_Tales_1939_10.jpg

1 minute ago, Scrooge said:

:applause: Group shot when you get close. Do you have all issues for the Purple Invasion already?

I do; although a few need upgrading even by my low standards.  I had posted all the Purple Invasion issues prior to the Photobucket fiasco.  I actually now have the entire second half of the run; all my missing issues range from 8-24 (v2 n4 to v6 n4).

8 hours ago, OtherEric said:

I do; although a few need upgrading even by my low standards.  I had posted all the Purple Invasion issues prior to the Photobucket fiasco.  I actually now have the entire second half of the run; all my missing issues range from 8-24 (v2 n4 to v6 n4).

I have 8 issues of Operator #5, including 4 from the Purple Invasion series.  I just pick one up every once in a while.  

I haven't read the Purple Invasion series, but it looks fun.  I did read the very first issue of the series, and I liked it.  Jimmy Christopher seemed to be a bit of a forerunner of James Bond.

4 hours ago, RedFury said:

I have 8 issues of Operator #5, including 4 from the Purple Invasion series.  I just pick one up every once in a while.  

I haven't read the Purple Invasion series, but it looks fun.  I did read the very first issue of the series, and I liked it.  Jimmy Christopher seemed to be a bit of a forerunner of James Bond.

The Purple Invasion is a LOT of fun, but it's one of those creative works where it manages to be great without necessarily being good on the way.  I still love it.

You're not wrong on the Bond  vibe, either.  Although nobody who hasn't seen the issue would believe it when the main character introduces himself as "Christopher.  James Christopher." decades before Bond first appeared .

Edited by OtherEric

This photo caught my attention recently since I was trying to see how many of the books out at this time (around November 1938) I had. Not many comics to see since Superman was only about 6 months old and Batman was about 6 months away but look at them pulps!

Really cool to see how the pulps at that time were side by side with every other magazine of the era but that would start to change in a few years as the comics began to push for more space on newsstands.

E69A6E87-752B-4A2E-AE4B-CE224F2ABAC4.thumb.jpeg.344610df18720d3457c436d57cf24dba.jpeg 

7 hours ago, N e r V said:

This photo caught my attention recently since I was trying to see how many of the books out at this time (around November 1938) I had. Not many comics to see since Superman was only about 6 months old and Batman was about 6 months away but look at them pulps!

Really cool to see how the pulps at that time were side by side with every other magazine of the era but that would start to change in a few years as the comics began to push for more space on newsstands.

E69A6E87-752B-4A2E-AE4B-CE224F2ABAC4.thumb.jpeg.344610df18720d3457c436d57cf24dba.jpeg 

Amazing photo.  Here's a couple I spotted that I have copies of:

Startling Stories, Jan 1939 (#1) (middle, 4th row from top)

rzBR6jbm.jpg

Golden Fleece, Dec 1938 (#3) (middle left)

mKv5Hxnm.jpg

I also see the Dec 1938 Weird Tales on the right edge, but I don't have a scan of my copy handy.

Also, the Argosy that's peeking out on the left edge appears to be the Nov 19 1938 issue.

If I had to judge the market based on that newsstands selection I would guess in 1938 people were mostly interested in westerns,detective,science fiction and movie magazines. Sports somewhat too.

You're over-representing Science-Fiction in your count.

Without counting bi-weekly and weekly series or Quarterlies differently, just the titles, in that month, there were 149 different pulp titles published. Only 4 were Science-Fiction: Amazing, Astounding, Marvel Science Stories and Thrilling Wonder Stories. That's it.

The actual breakdown of the market at that time period is:

Genre # %
Western 35 24%
Detective 34 23%
Romance 19 13%
Sports 18 12%
Adventure 17 12%
Aviation 10 7%
Mystery 8 6%
Miscellaneous 4 3%
Science-Fiction 4

3%

So, Western and Detective ruled the roost as seen in the photo.

Edited by Scrooge