• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'll pound you to a "Pulp" if you don't show off yours!
23 23

9,038 posts in this topic

13 minutes ago, OtherEric said:

And, finally, the pair of books that I was actually mainly grabbing the lot for.  v1 n10 and v1 n 11.  All 5 of the books have spectacular page quality, by the way.  I'm quite happy tonight:

Planet_Stories_v1_n10.jpg

And a wonderful BEM cover to boot! :applause:

19 hours ago, PopKulture said:

I picked up this first issue at a vintage record store. Most collectors consider it a pulp, and it's fairly tough to find. It's a bit taller than a "slick" of the day, and was probably tossed into a pile of sheet music for years, so I'm not surprised the top is a little beat up. I was still thrilled to find one in the wild.

46866722.5162e68d.800.jpg

Nice find!  I'd like to get one of those someday.  Look at that line-up...Roy Rogers, Hopalong Cassidy, Gene Autry, and Tim Holt all in one book!

On ‎6‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 6:00 PM, RedFury said:

Just last week I read the entire Jack Williamson / Lee Elias newspaper strip Beyond Mars that ran from 1952-55, so this was an especially cool find with Elias already on my mind.

I have a few single Sunday pages of Beyond Mars and I always wondered whether it's a good read or not. Would you recommend tracking it down in collected form?

9 hours ago, PopKulture said:

I have a few single Sunday pages of Beyond Mars and I always wondered whether it's a good read or not. Would you recommend tracking it down in collected form?

I'd say the art is top-notch and the story is above average.  It's a little grittier than expected, but also a little disjointed. It ends rather abrubtly (it was canceled).
I read the hardcover IDW collection that was put out a couple of years ago.  It's still available from Diamond.  Cover price is $50, but Amazon and others have it for $34.

1 hour ago, RedFury said:

I'd say the art is top-notch and the story is above average.  It's a little grittier than expected, but also a little disjointed. It ends rather abrubtly (it was canceled).
I read the hardcover IDW collection that was put out a couple of years ago.  It's still available from Diamond.  Cover price is $50, but Amazon and others have it for $34.

Thanks, I'll have to grab a copy, seeing that it's a short run and all. The art, as you say, is top notch on the examples I've seen, and the colors totally "pop" on the original Sunday pages, so therein lies the allure for me.  :foryou:

3 hours ago, lpsunburst said:

I picked these up at my local monthly Con here in DC, the condition of these was such that I could not pass them up, these bedsheets are still very supple. I love how they phrase it "Scientific Fiction".

img471.jpg

Nice pick-ups! I would have succumbed to the siren call of these as well. The early bedsheets are among my favorite pulps. I only wish I had gotten an Amazing Stories 1 and the Buck Rogers issue before the prices crept too high...  (shrug)