• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'll pound you to a "Pulp" if you don't show off yours!
23 23

9,042 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, RedFury said:

A recent pick-up with a great Bok wraparound cover, Who Goes There? by Shasta Publishers (1948).  Collects 7 Campbell stories from Astounding, including Who Goes There? (Aug 1938), the basis for the films The Thing From Another World (1951) and The Thing (1982).

DduMdxGl.jpge3DTw0Xl.jpg

Nice score, been looking for that myself. It's one of my favourite stories from the pulp era, and definitely my favourite Campbell one. I have the magazine version, but the book is a bit harder to get..

The '82 movie follows the book very closely, almost scene for scene, worth a read if you liked that.

Edited by htp

11 hours ago, OtherEric said:

Found at a local store today.  Would normally not post it here as too late, but I thought the marking over the logo was interesting, and others here would find it interesting as well.  As near as I and the store owner can tell, it's an overprint, not a stamp:

Analog_1970_04.jpg

Nice find. A bit earlier, but I always like to imagine that one of my copies of Astounding was sitting in the lunch room at Los Alamos in the 1940s.

Good score on those Arkham Samplers too. Don't suppose there's any hint as to what was defective?

24 minutes ago, htp said:

Nice find. A bit earlier, but I always like to imagine that one of my copies of Astounding was sitting in the lunch room at Los Alamos in the 1940s.

Good score on those Arkham Samplers too. Don't suppose there's any hint as to what was defective?

No clue what was wrong on the Sampler, presumably that copy was sent back and destroyed decades ago.  Several of the issues, including the third had the name on the postcard and a date written on the 1st page in light pencil, but not the #1.  And at least one of the issues had a name and address from somebody else stamped on the 1st page, so the set as a whole was not all from the same source originally.  Several were clearly from the same place, though; the date on the issue #3 was one day after the postcard.

Two very different books in today.  First, a pulp digest that's a bit later than I would normally post, but is worthy of note because it has the first publication anywhere of a Conan story that was actually completed by Howard rather than somebody else, even if it was presumably rather heavily edited.  It will happily do as a placeholder until I finally get a 30's issue of Weird Tales with a Conan story, though.

Magazine_of_Horror_15.jpg

Today's arrival:  This one has "The God In The Bowl", another of the Conan stories completed by Howard but not published until well after his death.  Unfortunately, this one is somewhat infamous for being heavily rewritten by de Camp.  Still, a neat addition to the collection; and if nothing else the cover is great.  I should think about tracking down the rest of the run of Space Science Fiction... it has at least a few other good stories, and I've already got 3 of the 8 issues.

Space_Science_Fiction_2.jpg

And today's book:  Amazing Stories for April-May 1953.  This is the first digest size issue; and it is in the classic Amazing Stories tradition of announcing a new direction and getting some big names for the first issue or so before going back to the cheap.  I'm pretty sure this was Heinlein's only contribution to Amazing, for example.

Amazing_Stories_1953_april.jpg

14 hours ago, OtherEric said:

And today's book:  Amazing Stories for April-May 1953.  This is the first digest size issue; and it is in the classic Amazing Stories tradition of announcing a new direction and getting some big names for the first issue or so before going back to the cheap.  I'm pretty sure this was Heinlein's only contribution to Amazing, for example.

Amazing_Stories_1953_april.jpg

Nice! Been looking for that one myself, though more for the trippy H.L. Gold story.

Cool Collier's find too. Quite a few good stories published in there over the years.

Those are great - a real testament to fantasy. Lloyd Currey has praised the high literary qualities of the magazine (in contrast to the USA 'pulps' that often aimed a little lower), and the art looks swelegant as well. If you're a tad late for Halloween you are perfectly poised for a 100-year birthday celebration. Congrats!

I had never heard of the magazine before, it looks amazing.  To be fair, other than the early 80's I know almost nothing about German periodicals.  (Even in that window what I remember is limited to the small box of Disney comics from when I lived there as a kid.)

On 9/26/2018 at 8:59 AM, htp said:

Nice!

Neither pulp nor Howard, but somewhat related, I recently managed to get a copy of the November 1919 issue of The Vagrant, featuring the first publication of Lovecraft's Dagon:

P1180892.JPG

P1180894.JPG

Very, very cool - must be exceedingly scarce, I’ve never seen one available (and if I did, I would buy it!).

On 9/26/2018 at 8:59 AM, htp said:

Nice!

Neither pulp nor Howard, but somewhat related, I recently managed to get a copy of the November 1919 issue of The Vagrant, featuring the first publication of Lovecraft's Dagon:

P1180892.JPG

P1180894.JPG

How the heck did I miss this when you first posted it?!?  Finding one of the early Lovecraft stories like that is just amazing; I consider myself extremely lucky just to have a few of the more common pulps!  (More common being a very relative thing, of course.)