• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'll pound you to a "Pulp" if you don't show off yours!
23 23

9,006 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, jimjum12 said:

Wanted one a little higher grade but this one isn't bad at all.... a favorite cover :cloud9: GOD BLESS.....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

IMG_1249.JPG

That’s a beauty of a cover in so many ways👍‼️‼️❤️❤️❤️😷❤️❤️

On 12/16/2020 at 12:58 AM, thewritestuff said:

I know this aren't really traditional pulps, but I was wondering if these pulp-y magazines with the lurid covers are rare and/or desired by collectors? 

IMG_8618.jpeg

Covers like these, with babes in bondage and/or being tortured are highly collectable, especially with Nazis involved. They aren't particularly rare (though individual issues might be tough), but hard to find in higher grade. 

8 hours ago, asimovpulps said:

A pulp (bedsheet, technically) which needs no introduction. Maybe in the 25th century, time travel will exist so someone can go back and stop the person who wrote all over the cover :)

1080817222_PXL_20201224_185653631.PORTRAIT2.thumb.jpg.1edbb51c80913bea0ce163cfc6a577f8.jpg

:golfclap:

No less an authority than Issac Asimov described that book as one of the three most important debuts in Science Fiction history; along with "A Martian Odyssey" by Weinbaum and Heinlein's body of work his first year.  And he was talking about EE "Doc" Smith and Skylark of Space, not Buck Rogers!

This book isn't as expensive as some other pulps just because it's more common than a lot of others, given how dedicated the SF collectors were even back then.  But in terms of actual impact on popular culture, it's hard to say it isn't one of the top 10 or so books of the 20th century.  An awesome pickup, even with the writing.

On 3/20/2020 at 11:51 AM, Yorick said:

If there are any hardcore Blue Book collectors here that might help me identify the issue this one was printed within - I would be grateful.  Heritage could (would?) not identify it as Flanagan, and I was able to acquire it for pennies due to the lacking attribution.  I assume the title for the story is "Reverie", and this is definitely later Flanagan work (post 1940 - I believe closer to 1950).

flanagan BB 2.jpg

Good News!!!

Definitely Flanagan and June 1943 (Blue Book)!  "The Crescent is for Hope".

On 1/8/2021 at 3:27 AM, asimovpulps said:

A pulp (bedsheet, technically) which needs no introduction. Maybe in the 25th century, time travel will exist so someone can go back and stop the person who wrote all over the cover :)

1080817222_PXL_20201224_185653631.PORTRAIT2.thumb.jpg.1edbb51c80913bea0ce163cfc6a577f8.jpg

This cover is cool☮️👍

18 hours ago, OtherEric said:

Local store pickup today.  

image.jpg

I've read Otto Binder's Lords of Creation.  It was collected in hardcover by Prime Press in 1949.  It's a Buck Rogers type story.  A scientist is intentionally frozen in suspended animation for 3,000 years.  When he awakes he finds that civilization has been destroyed by wars and reduced to barbarism.  The only remaining power group on Earth rules tyrannically from Antarctica.  The hero uses his mid-20th century scientific knowledge to organize a revolt against the tyrants.

A couple of them could have been had from Boardies at a good price... but when they were offered I was still struggling mightily against the Pulp vortex ... which proved futile. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 1/8/2021 at 12:27 AM, asimovpulps said:

You got that book not a minute too soon... with the news of the upcoming TV show it looks like prices both asking and realized have gone WAY up.

10 hours ago, OtherEric said:

You got that book not a minute too soon... with the news of the upcoming TV show it looks like prices both asking and realized have gone WAY up.

I had heard that a new TV show, but honestly I wasn't sure how "real" it was.  I thought it might just be someone who had the rights making a press release and trying to find backers.  But now I see there's very recent news that George Clooney is attached to produce and potentially STAR in the new series.  Whoa!