• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'll pound you to a "Pulp" if you don't show off yours!
23 23

9,092 posts in this topic

21 minutes ago, ThothAmon said:

That new Detective is great. 

Thank you. I collect precode crime and horror, so that one grabbed my attention immediately. There are lots more, especially western and romance. Are there specific titles or artists I should seek out, or is it more just “eye of the beholder”?

45 minutes ago, thewritestuff said:

Thank you. I collect precode crime and horror, so that one grabbed my attention immediately. There are lots more, especially western and romance. Are there specific titles or artists I should seek out, or is it more just “eye of the beholder”?

A bit of both, there are definitely specific publishers, writers, and artists more in demand.  Writers is probably the biggest factor, but not by much.  Or genres, as well... Hero pulps are always popular.  Science Fiction is popular but generally the most common.  I would just go through this thread, it will point out a lot of stuff.

With all that said, there is probably a lot more "eye of the beholder" stuff out there than in comics. 

51 minutes ago, thewritestuff said:

Dime Detective Magazine and Black Mask are the big two for detective pulps.  Then there's also Detective Fiction Weekly (originally Flynn's) and Detective Story Magazine.  All four were long-running.  

For horror, I'd start with Weird Tales.  It's more "weird literature" (and definitely has some horror), but it's very high quality stories with writers like Lovecraft and Bloch.  A lot of great covers too.  For the more "shudder pulp" style (more salacious covers and writing), titles like Horror Stories, Terror Tales, and Dime Mystery Magazine fit the bill.

For artists, there's lots of great pulp artists.  Brundage, St. John, Baumhofer, Bergey, Paul, Ward, Saunders, and Parkhurst are some of my favorites.  But I'd recommend just looking at lots of pulp covers and finding what you like.  Remember, pulps were mass-market entertainment before television, so there's something for everyone.

Well, baseball season is about to start and I'm even more excited for it than usual because of all the free-agent acquisitions my Phillies made this off-season.  I can't wait to see their new offense!

Tying in to that, here's a really nice, high-grade Dime Sports Magazine I just got with a cover story called "Fixing the Phillies" (the Phillies had gone 54-100 in 1936).  There was no free-agency back then, so teams couldn't spend their way out of the basement.  But the theme still applies today. :)

f8pEpJ3h.jpg

9 hours ago, OtherEric said:

With all that said, there is probably a lot more "eye of the beholder" stuff out there than in comics. 

+1. Esp. in the two genres you listed: Western and Romance, more so than other genres, esp. in the vintage range from the first batch. Few Western writers sought after and almost none (?) in the Romance field.

I'd buy those for $2 every day!! Great haul.

11 hours ago, thewritestuff said:

I’m pretty new to pulp collecting compared to many in this thread (and I do a lot more looking than buying).  FWIW, I would focus on the topics/themes that you find interesting.  Not what’s going to be worth big money.  If you have minimum grade standards, just about every title can be a real challenge.  

Also, if you’re anywhere close to Chicago during the pulp show, you’d have an amazing experience attending.  The guys in that room are literally a library of knowledge.  My buddy went last year and he said it reminded him comic conventions 40 years ago.  Those were the days! 2c

On 3/16/2019 at 7:51 AM, thewritestuff said:

So many great Horror and Crime pulp covers that in most cases rival comics. Also WAY cheaper than the their comic book counterparts. Just SO much harder to find. Dip your toes into the pool you will love the water.

On 3/16/2019 at 9:06 AM, RedFury said:

Well, baseball season is about to start and I'm even more excited for it than usual because of all the free-agent acquisitions my Phillies made this off-season.  I can't wait to see their new offense!

Tying in to that, here's a really nice, high-grade Dime Sports Magazine I just got with a cover story called "Fixing the Phillies" (the Phillies had gone 54-100 in 1936).  There was no free-agency back then, so teams couldn't spend their way out of the basement.  But the theme still applies today. :)

f8pEpJ3h.jpg

Great cover! I love the pulp baseball issues. Makes me want to dip into my pulp boxes and revisit them. Looks like the Phillies made some deep investing this year. Hope it pays off for you. Me, I’m just dying again this year. My team has won their division 5 or 6 times in a row and two unsuccessful WS trips in a row.  It just has gotta happen this year...